Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157550 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #7155 on: April 24, 2016, 02:00:55 AM »
  I sleep in my daytime clothes, have done so for decades.  :M
I try not to sleep in my daytime clothes. I have pajama pants, and since I work at home I can stay in those all day. I have been trying to establish a habit of changing into the pajama pants when I get home.
Fresh washed clothes have many characteristics that grate on my nerves. Clothes worn for a couple of days smell better and feel better. Strangely enough I was not like this when I was younger and took my clothes to the cleaners and asked for starch. I cared more for being handsome then.

Today I got another big load of papers graded, made fried rice and searched for a textbook for a class that starts in June. New, the book is $200. I am hoping to get a nice used one for $50. They are still not letting me teach statistics - the new class is psychometrics - not nearly as interesting as tinkering with a statistical package.

Almost forgot - had to reset one of the mousetraps.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7156 on: April 24, 2016, 03:09:59 AM »
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

http://sci-hub.io/

Try these for your textbook or other book needs, or research papers. Top one is for online copies of books, bottom link will get you more or less any paywalled off full text version of more or less any journal reference you could want.  You might need to go through a VPN or proxy for the first link, I have to because talktalk internet provider got a court order slapped on them to ban access.

Run by this russian pirate chick who came up with ways to falsify legitimate access tokens, making it appear to for example those pricks Elsevier publishing, as though they are actually getting the request from a university legitimate account, yet in the end delivering to YOU right there on one's own machine instead.  Free to use, on principle this chick despises closed-access to information, and believes, as do I, that knowledge should be freely distributed and shared with others who wish for it.

I've not used the book finder much because the damn needing to run through a VPN, but any time I want a journal article, and previously would have had to ask for it, from my contacts with access to various publishing houses and journals, now I just type in the DOI, PMID, often even a text search string can be used, and type in some easily read captcha letters to prevent DOS attacks on her systems, then bingo, get what I want, taking all of 20 seconds from beginning to end. And it WORKS too, the sci-hub, REALLY kicks ass. It cannot of course summon up items not published online, paper only really ancient stuff isn;t always documented online at all. But I've never actually had it fail on me yet.  This russki girl, shes been doing some serious agitating, and has PISSED OFF some of the large publishers, with her chameleon-esque ability to repeatedly evade countermeasures to her web-based tool's ability to break through paywalls. Theres been a major court case involving elsevier, and some book publishers, but they got an answer of 'fuck you, got to catch me first' or close enough. Ordered to cease activity, she just started trying all the harder!

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7157 on: April 24, 2016, 07:04:15 AM »
Where are you from ren?
Just south of Perth, Western Australia. The summers here suck, we are entering winter now and I am liking it much better, it rarely gets very cold.

The Ambrosia type rice pudding has been the only one I have seen for a long time. Custard would be great, I like that.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7158 on: April 24, 2016, 01:41:42 PM »
What, rice pudding not common oz cuisine? Doubt you'd want to even dream about the shipping, but if you cant find the canned kind of custard there at all, i don't mind.

Always liked another one we can find here, although would be far, far lighter to send, bird's custard, which is made up from powder, a lot different though, much thinner, quite different in taste .

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7159 on: April 24, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
Our washing machine decided it would keep on filling and overfilling.  No agitation, just a waterfall.  I had to drain it (thankfully it would drain normally.)  BUT the clothes were NOT washed (some areas of the wash were still dry, go figure.  So I washed the clothes by hand in the bathtub.  The next  batch will be easier since it's underwear and not outerwear T-shirts.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7160 on: April 24, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »
Our washing machine decided it would keep on filling and overfilling.  No agitation, just a waterfall.  I had to drain it (thankfully it would drain normally.)  BUT the clothes were NOT washed (some areas of the wash were still dry, go figure.  So I washed the clothes by hand in the bathtub.  The next  batch will be easier since it's underwear and not outerwear T-shirts.

* Lady Hykeaswell brings in a pot of hand ointment, to take care of detergent agitated Royal hands. *
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7161 on: April 24, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »

* Lady Hykeaswell brings in a pot of hand ointment, to take care of detergent agitated Royal hands. *

*Lady Weeble :cbc: wobbles on top of the washed clothing to wring out the water*
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7162 on: April 24, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
Thank you both.  Both loads are hanging to dry overnight.  As long as I do smallish loads I should be fine.

BUT, I'm taking towels to the Laundromat.  They're much too much of a bother.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7163 on: April 25, 2016, 03:27:30 AM »
*lestat finds QV a nice big vat of dry-cleaning solvents to save the royal fingers...probaly a bit old fashined, since tis hard ti find perc here, but chloroform or dichlor  are good enough in more or less any respect that doesn't depend on it specifically, as a replacement for the old carbon tet (couldn't bear to let that go if ever I CAN get any! not since nowadays someone is damn lucky ever to bis e able to buy any for the most highly specialized uses, the sort of things where substitutes aren't an option, not that you or yours would want it around, it sure aint used for dry cleaning any more due to toxicity, its become a find closer to unicorn shit than to its neighboring halomethane relative chloroform, thats much easier)

Me? lying on my bed, reading online, and listening to music.

Trees of eternity-'my requiem'         oh...my...GODS! if this doesn't blow your mind then you must be congenitally lacking an auditory cortex...haunting, melodic, eerie and beautiful.  wow.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOE0WoW01Hk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YkTMxRhQN5k?list=PLjQRhEO7O2ik6USr2Ty0keIF9FBuL7TaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Swallow the sun-cathedral walls

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r_To8bsqLRk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Demonia-waiting for the sentence.

And trying to remember the name of a band I  found some time ago that I really liked, remember the vocalist most, for one of their videos,dark hair,  black lipstick, italian girl
doing a female fronted funeral doom metal project, that featured her walking over bridges, through a woodland, over pools of water, and deeply, deeply haunting and aetherial.

Slept in the first time for two days ish.

and been playing 'a frail becoming' by daylight dies, and finding it to be rather likeable.  As well as  some murkrat,

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7164 on: April 25, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »
Lestat, you made me think and I realized I have only used a dry cleaner ONCE in my life.  That is weird.  I just never bought clothes that needed to be dry cleaned. 

I have read that you can use a simple plunger with some largish holes cut into the cup to agitate the clothes.  I'll probably dragoon PA to be my wring man.  (Ooooh, horrible pun.)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7165 on: April 25, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Analysed some legal documents.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7166 on: April 25, 2016, 12:41:55 PM »
Dropped off prom decorations my wife and I made over vacation at her school
Hiked with the dog up to the top of West Rock  then back down by the pond to the van
Picked up my daughter from school
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7167 on: April 25, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
  Exchanged e-mails in hopes of building a better future.  :M :angel:

Also, ate too much and got heartburn.  Progress, regression, so it goes.  :autism:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7168 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
Went to an auction but didn't see anything worth staying for
Got the lawn mower working and mowed the front lawn
Rearranged the stuff in the trailer to make room for left over materials
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7169 on: April 27, 2016, 03:31:13 PM »
food shopping
spring cleaning (it's a long process)
started packing for this weekend's trip - my suitcase arrived in plattsburgh!
looked for the key to my safe.
brined the pork
made maple cured back bacon
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher