Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157709 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #7140 on: April 20, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
Just started to download fallout 3 via torrent. Fucking love the fallout series games, for the mix of both extensive and largely free to go one's own way rather than predetermined levels combined
with the pure hilarity of the humor, both in the descriptions of the central character's observations of the ingame world, the descriptions of the environment and the combat reports, as well as the
combat system itself is fucking funny as hell, things like when getting a critical hit on the target, or the likes of seeing somebody's flesh liquified and roasted off their bones, which then collapse in a heap on the ground, or cutting loose on an enemy at point-blank range, whilst wielding a huge sodding great minigun/autocannon, obliterating their torso, blowing heads off in a shower of blood and bone chunks, leaving a partially severed torso on legs with nothing down the middle or above the neck but shredded exposed spinal column :D

Or of course, anything like incendiaries, or flame-throwers, hilarity is guaranteed there. And probably the funniest bit about the fights in the fallout games is the targeting system, that allows for aimed shots to be taken at separate bodyparts, to different effects on a critical, a killshot, a crippling wound, or a normal, but carefully targeted shot, being able to aim for the legs, arms, body, head, eyes and the family jewels. Letting your character do things like kill someone by repeatedly stamping on their heads once knocked to the ground, to blast someone in the bollocks/minge with a shotgun, or say, pop out from round a doorway behind someone you want dead, and put out their eyes with a pistol, a shiv, cattleprod etc. to name just a few of the more amusing way to slaughter people. And the chance to add 'perks' as one levels up in experience, the perks being either stat buffs, or granters of special character traits, or other such effects, such as more chance to score a critical hit or inflict a wound that cripples the enemy rather than kills, such as breaking arms and legs, knocking the stuffing out of an enemy, stunning them and putting them down on the floor, to be  stabbed, shot, beaten to death, curbstomp their skulls in all the easier, set on fire, blown up etc. Or preventing them running off by shooting out a leg, impairing combat accuracy
and ability to bear weight by breaking someone's arms, if for the sadistic, making it harder for them to target you by putting their eyes out and blinding your foes.

Other than that, today, I've eaten, watched a bit of TV, although I don't tend to use the TV all that heavily, too much of whats on usually is complete and utter, irredeemable dogshit. For example
BBC2 has played the exact same few things in the AM, for at least all this year, and at a minimum, maybe all, maybe no more, I don't know, a large slice of the year just gone by. And not only utter garbage, not only the precise SAME foetid helping of feculent, malodorous, porcine ordure every single twatting day without fail to the best of my knowledge. Not only that, either. The garbage
shown is not even WHOLE garbage. Whole-LY garbage, yes, but the shows aren't even complete, just part of each, cutting to the next and then repeating it. Featuring a bit of an episode of
'wolf hall' and james may yapping  away  like some geriatric faggot, and obsessive collector of motor vehicles,  blithering on about some ugly old mass-production car in italy.

And then part way through that, like the previous  'program' if it can be called such, ends. Thankfully. Because its some of the most appalling low-quality, deadly boring, steaming cesspit I've ever
had the rotten luck to be subjected to. Bah, just imagine coming out of what was a perfectly good H/morphine and/or oxy nod, sprawled out lazily over the comfortable leather sofa we have here
, with an interesting book (genes, cells and brains' I think its called) that I've been reading opened and laid over one's face to keep the ambient light even lower than it is usually, to find the TV on, lighting the room up, and rousing ME, shaking me out of the gouch I was enjoying, and not even to anything worth watching, just that absolute  bollocks.

And no way to reach out to the presenter/s, or the army of stupid, aneuploid inbred fuckweaslicious twatting plebs responsible for this particular decaying carcass of a TV slot in order to pull out their eyes with a fork, pour caustic soda into the bloody sockets, and sew/superglue their eyes shut, leaving it to burn its way through the canal left by the corroded mess formerly playing
the role of their optic nerves, into their CSF, before leaving them to either die screaming, or after a period of the same tortured shrieking, if surviving, to eke out the rest of their
worthless existences as the crippled vegetable intellectual equivalent of a doorstop.

Watched 'yes minister' though, which IS funny, and worth watching. The character who has the role of permanent secretary to the PM does an uncanny well-done  job of playing a cynical, blatant liar to the electorate, indirectly through whoever is both in power and susceptible to his particular brand of greasy-pole-climbing, oily, noxious parasitism. A wonderfully-acted
poisonous, Mandelsonian little swamp mollusc to whom manipulating the hand holding the levers of power is an end all in and of itself, and to whom the truth is about as popular as an Amanita virosa fried breakfast, with a dog-muck souffle for dessert, served on a poached ivory plate by a troop of battyboy paedophiles.

Was somewhat miffed though, to discover I couldn't watch horizon, because my mom was watching the news. When in all honesty it scarcely makes much difference WHAT is on, she won't either comprehend it, or remember any of the content longer than a minute or two. If that. There just isn't enough left up there now. :/

Her watching the news is pretty much like sticking a toddler in a room with a copy of shakespeare and expecting an educated, interesting and erudite conversation to be the result.
Less 'infinite monkeys sat at infinite typewriters given infinite time' and more 'one monkey, with a pointy burnt stick and a heap of loose bog roll sheets, given about half an hour' to produce not
the complete works of the Bard, but a somewhat legible, although accurate rendition of the labour and tory manifestos of the past  few years (to that end of course, the bog roll should be used
lavishly for its original intended purpose)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7141 on: April 20, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
And that is why television was not invented during my reign.  We were not amused by the possibility.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7142 on: April 20, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »
Also, checked my email, posted here, and posted on a clan.chem/underground biotech forum, in a thread or two I am following of late, one  on ergot fungi, and the efforts made by the others working
 on a Claviceps biotech R&D program in their labs. The other thread being also directed towards development of, selection for, and storage/maintainance longterm whilst retaining vitality and stability of
Some non-ergot Clavicipitaceous fungi that form a part of those fungi classed as endophytes. These grow inside plants, such as the morning glories, ololiuqui (the name in the nahuatl tongue, spoken by the aztecs to the seeds of another morning glory relative used like the others for shamanic practice, as a hallucinogen, due to the lysergic acid amide (ergine, LSA) found in the seeds, produced by the fungal endophyte, which is transmitted down the line from parent to offspring of the plants by virtue of its being hosted within the seeds.

hawaiian baby woodrose (argyria nervosa [spelling?]) and grasses like Paspalum, Lolium, Stipa, 'dronkgrass' and fescues (Festuca arundinacea), as symbionts which actually dwell within, rather than on the outside of, their hosts, although
doing the host little harm, indeed, the opposite, considering the toxicity towards insect predators, and indeed, quite problematically, to livestock causing much loss and sickness amongst same every year, of the host of ergot alkaloids, usually a mixture of ergine and ergovaline, although it depends not only on the grass species hosting the endophytic clavicipitaceous fungi, but also upon the epiphyte species hosted,
the strain/s present, hell probably even the weather, climate and habitat, such is not unknown in fungi, fr ex some people, for some stupid reason, choose to eat a kind of ascomycete mushroom known as
a false morel or lorchel (Gyromitra spp. usually G.esculenta.) These are lethally poisonous raw, and indeed, not infrequently even when cooked twice in boiling water, discarding the water each time, before blanching and then cooking to incorporate
them into a dish.

Really, really really stupid thing to do, its on similar level of idiocy attached to the consumption in japan of fugu, the imfamous puffer fish sushi, which needs years of special dedicated training to be able to prepare it from the fish. The japanese fugu chefs spend several years learning and practicing. When they have done so, and have reached the end of their training period, theres an exam. This consists of
an aspiring fugu chef doing just that, preparing some blowfish, carefully removing the skin, the ovaries, liver in particular, without contaminating the rest of the fish (the poison, a paralytic agent that works by blocking voltage-gated sodium channels, called tetrodotoxin, or TTX for short, also found in Taricha spp. red bellied newts, certain toads (Atelopus is the one I know of) and also it plays the role
of the primary toxic component in the venomous bite packed by the tiny, pretty, but deadly blue ringed octopi (Hapalochlaena species, theres a few, 3-4 or so of the buggers, with bodies rarely larger than a golf ball, if one excludes the tentacles, but able to deliver a bite capable of penetrating a dive suit like a bullet through tissue paper, and delivering enough venom with its bite to finish off a person bitten many, many times over)

The chefs must prepare their dish before the examiner. And then they must consume what they prepared. If they survive doing so, then they qualify to make it to be served to other people. Presumably dying means a fail, and no leniency in being allowed to resit the examination :P

The false morels are no better. Probably worse come to think of it, because unlike blowfish where their toxicity is localized (mostly, not completely) to certain tissue types and locations in the fish, there is no such compartmentalization in a false morel, all parts are dangerous.  And they are EXTREMELY unpredictable, season, elevation of terrain growing on, habitat type,  resources available etc.
And whats more people vary a lot in their ability to withstand small quantities of the toxin, gyromitrin, which essentially is just a precursor that releases the main, true bad actor, monomethyl hydrazine, or MMH, the same stuff thats used as the fuel component in hypergolic rocket fuels (hypergolic means self-igniting when the oxidizer is mixed, without having to be lit, just going up on its own. Typical use is MMH and N2O4, dinitrogen tetroxide, which is one hell of a powerful oxidizing agent). So the fungus quite literally, is full of rocket fuel. Rather nasty stuff it is too, volatile, and boiling off when cooked, sometimes those eating them will be fine, because the MMH was boiled off during cooking, only to be breathed in by, and so poison the cooks, sometimes its been the chef thats died and the diners remained unharmed.

Personally, I wouldn't even get in a car with a significant quantity of Gyromitra, perhaps if all the windows were open. Otherwise I'd not take the risk.

Yet believe it or not, hundreds of tons of false morels go through certain EU countries annually, particularly popular in finnland.

What else have I done today? not a huge lot. Slept most of today, although woke up to stuff several packet of 'timeout' chocolate wafer bars down my neck, and loaded up dosbox on the laptop to get my x-com terror from the deep game going. A two part scifi type job, part world management, part research and manufacture of equipment, the vehicles and automated tanks more advanced than the basic starting models of tank, interceptor combat aircraft and troop transport, the rest consisting of tactical missions directed against either landed alien craft, those that have been shot out of the sky, or down to the bottom of davy jones' locker (the enemy being fought is a multispecies/multiracial alien force thats been dormant for millennia in a vast submerged city, that obviously pays homage to H P Lovecraft's r'lyeh, both in similar sounding name (t'leth) and one of the races that can appear in combat missions, based on abducted and surgically mutilated, heavily modified former human beings is even named 'deep ones' xD

And theres other such situations that you have to send your combat divers on, such as smaller submerged alien bases, sites where they are attempting to reactivate dormant technology that sustains/makes their hive-mind type thing, as well as psionic combat capabilities, or sometimes they attack land targets, such as naval ports, or launch terrorist attacks on civilian populations intended to try and force the host countries to cut or terminate funding for the combat taskforce your running 'x-com', abduct more civillians, and just all round slaughter as much of the population as possible, to clear the earth for takeover.

Its an old game, 1995-'98 or thereabouts, the original two in the xcom game series (TFTD is the second) were by microprose, released in the 1990s, and a total shit to get running at first using a more modern
and shittier OS like windoze 7. It didn't like 64-bit operating system, didn't play well with compatibility, in the end I had to reinstall it under admin privilege running the installer itself in windows 95 legacy compatibility mode, then run the program thus installed under compatibility emulation, within dosbox. That eventually got it working. General theme of the combat part is turn-based isometric, controlling a squad of up to 14 troops per mission, until one gets better troop transport based on reverse engineering captured alien tech.

Its old, sure, but one hell of a game, and difficult to beat at even the lowest difficulty setting, takes a long, long time to beat it too.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7143 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:08 AM »
  Worked, read stuff online, posted here ... about to go clean the bathroom for the arrival of the new toilet!  :2thumbsup:

And when it has arrived and been put in place, you can clean it again. But then it will be only dust, and workers sweat, that you'll have to clean.

I sprayed the whole thing with loads of Lysol.  It's clean now.  So are my lungs.  :autism:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7144 on: April 21, 2016, 09:02:59 AM »
Bought some new pajama's!   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7145 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
Never wear them personally, not since I was little. I prefer to sleep wearing nothing at all, other than the facial metalwork, which I just don't take out anyway. I find it far more comfortable
sleep stark bollock naked.
Although I will throw on my warm, soft robe, and/or remain in the clothes worn during the day if its really cold. I have far better things to spend my £££ on than clothes to wear in bed at night. Whats
the POINT ? when one can just as easily spend nothing at all, and wear some of the clothing you already own?

More a what I'm DOING than a what I have done, but currently cutting a bit of cardboard off the back of a rizla packet to make a roach for the rollup I am about to skin up. Which of course
means I'm about to have myself a smoke.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7146 on: April 22, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »
  I sleep in my daytime clothes, have done so for decades.  :M
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7147 on: April 22, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
Pajama's are relaxing for me.  I've tried sleeping in the buff a few times, couldn't sleep.  So, gotta have my pj's!    8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7148 on: April 22, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
damn, cbc. Decades? I'd want them washed after a day or two at most :P

I like weight on me as I sleep. But a slab of bent-to-shape lead sheet will do just fine. I sleep best starkers, unless its really, really cold, or if I happen to be wearing something, and lying on the bed, on my laptop etc. its common enough for my pain meds to result in a knockout, especially if combined, as they often are, with my antiseizure med, given its also an effective sedative/hypnotic, same
goes for the muscle relaxer I need for my calf, thats pretty good at making somebody flop down in a boneless heap all by itself.

that often makes me sleep just fine in my soft, warm fuzzy robe, or just drop where I'm situated at the time, clothes or no clothes. But if its before having meds of some sort, then unless its far
too freezing cold, then I never wear anything in bed bar my lip piercing, which I don't take out anyway.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7149 on: April 22, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »
Culled more stuff from our possessions, stuff that I had long forgotten that we had!   :GA:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7150 on: April 22, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Just woke up a bit ago, and then ate my donuts and raspberries, every last scrap, two punnets of fruit, theres another one tonight too I think, in the fridge that is mostly full, from my folks tea tonight.
I'll look later though, just ate twice that, three donuts and a tin of chilled rice pudding in the fridge. So for now, I am full, fed, and satisfied to just play my game whilst I rest&digest.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7151 on: April 22, 2016, 11:21:03 PM »
^Last shopping day I bought Ambrose rice pudding. Mmm yum. Kayleigh thinks I am crazy for liking it. I haven't had it in years. It was in the English imports section of the shop so it was fairly expensive, not something I would buy regularly.

I am about to hang the second load of washing out.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7152 on: April 23, 2016, 10:02:07 AM »
Where are you from ren?

Ambrosia rice pudding is my least favourite kind. I like a few local  shops offering far better, I like it thinner in consistency with more of that tasty thin liquid bit that one finds on top of a just opened can if its not been shaken.

I don't heat it up either, a stick the cans in the fridge for a few hours, or get them to the right temperature with an ice/salt bath if I wanted it right away without  waiting.
the colder the better. Just me though, I dont know anyone else that does that.

If you can get that stuff imported in your shops though, try looking for ambrosia custard, now that IS really nice, just eaten  straight from the can.  Works really well added to milkshakes too,.

Done? haven't done anything today really other than eat, take morning meds,  and go back to sleep.
About to go back to my xcom game though.  Might be a bit dated, being from between '95 and '98, but its one that plays out vastly different every time, so its got
more or less limitless replay value, unlike those games that aren't open-ended like that. First got it as a kid, never stopped playing it, see what I mean :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:06:59 AM by Lestat »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7153 on: April 23, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
Went to only one tag sale due to rain
Cleaned up a few things for the flea market
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7154 on: April 23, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
Listening to the new disturbed album. Liking it. Got the sound cranked as loud as it can go. (which of course is how Disturbed SHOULD be played of course). Probably my favourite album (immortalized) by them, barring 'Believe', although I liked that one featuring 10,000 fists in the air. Now thats a track for blasting out and shaking windowpanes with :D