Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157558 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #5400 on: October 02, 2014, 12:32:13 AM »
I live in the Southern West part of the Netherlands (N.W. Europe) and there is a fig tree in the garden but I've bought the eight figs used in the pie in a supermarket (€0,40 a piece). Due to August being wet and not that warm the fig tree stopped providing proper fruit. They turned watery and had too little a sweet taste. Think I only harvested 15 nice figs this year (July).

When I make the pie again, probably August next year/Gaea volenta, I need to make the pieces of fig a little smaller and peel off all of the lighter (in colour) parts of the fruit. Filling of the pie could be a tadski sweeter also. Better next time.

Some friends (back then) gave my the fig tree when it was p/m 3 feet tall. 15 years ago, that was. They claimed the plant smelled funny (of cat pee, IIRC).. and I planted it in a proper sunny spot in my small garden. The tree is about 5 meters (16') tall now.

Growing fruit (on trees) is a challenge quite quite often here too. Maybe it is in general but nowadays climate, at my whereabouts, with quite hot Summers and a tadski warmer Winter does help a bit, I reckon.

And oh, there are not many plants in my smallish garden that provide fruit or veggies though. I had two tomato plants, two courgette/zucchini, strawberries in a wooden container, Jap. wine berries, raspberries and blackberries. 10 different herbs, like thyme, chives, parsley, rocket lettuce, etc. and I'm about to harvest my two smelly ladies (their flowers to smoke later on). P/m 1 week to go for them.

Blah² (sørry)

Not to worry, as far as expecting empathy and finding none.

I generally refill my freezer with all manner of freezable veggies  and fruit and do a little light canning as well.  This was horrid; we had no summer. of  decently warm temperatures to help stuff grow.
In all honesty, compared to the south where I grew up, it never got above winter temps all summer here in central Indiana. Had I known I could have grown spring crops all summer, things would look different in my freezers. You know greens (kale, shard, spinach) freeze well and carrots, potatoes and radishes can be just fine under the soil if you do not have a root cellar, actually so can spinach and kale .

But, I am impressed with your beautiful pie/creation/thing.  I want one!

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5401 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
Took the PR to get her hair washed, had my hair cut, shopped at a store before AND after the hair visit.  Bought Chinese for dinner.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5402 on: October 03, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
Got kid to school. And then started some proper housecleaning. Bummed around now and then as a break. Even got through a pile of mail. I did an awful lot. Mailed with other kid in between too. And had a talk with my Mum on the phone.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5403 on: October 03, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »
Took the PR to the surgeon.  Staples are out, steri-strips on the incision, splint is off, cast is on.  She is positively beaming.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5404 on: October 03, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
I live in the Southern West part of the Netherlands (N.W. Europe) and there is a fig tree in the garden but I've bought the eight figs used in the pie in a supermarket (€0,40 a piece). Due to August being wet and not that warm the fig tree stopped providing proper fruit. They turned watery and had too little a sweet taste. Think I only harvested 15 nice figs this year (July).

When I make the pie again, probably August next year/Gaea volenta, I need to make the pieces of fig a little smaller and peel off all of the lighter (in colour) parts of the fruit. Filling of the pie could be a tadski sweeter also. Better next time.

Some friends (back then) gave my the fig tree when it was p/m 3 feet tall. 15 years ago, that was. They claimed the plant smelled funny (of cat pee, IIRC).. and I planted it in a proper sunny spot in my small garden. The tree is about 5 meters (16') tall now.

Growing fruit (on trees) is a challenge quite quite often here too. Maybe it is in general but nowadays climate, at my whereabouts, with quite hot Summers and a tadski warmer Winter does help a bit, I reckon.

And oh, there are not many plants in my smallish garden that provide fruit or veggies though. I had two tomato plants, two courgette/zucchini, strawberries in a wooden container, Jap. wine berries, raspberries and blackberries. 10 different herbs, like thyme, chives, parsley, rocket lettuce, etc. and I'm about to harvest my two smelly ladies (their flowers to smoke later on). P/m 1 week to go for them.

Blah² (sørry)

Hey, just wanted you to know, since I neglected to mention before, that I am very impressed with your production from a personal space garden. REALLY!

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5405 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »
Always thought figs are only suited to very warm climates, but in looking now see there's varieties more suited to cooler temperatures.

Yup, most varieties of fig are sub-tropical.

Do not know where you are, but if you can find any varieties of figs that can take ten or fifteen below zero every year in Fahrenheit, then plese let me know.

I miss figs!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5406 on: October 03, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
Picked up a check then materials
Argued with a real bitchy carpenter and decided that today was not the day to work on that house
Fixed a drippy oil line on the van
Looked at a large addition I have to give a price on
Had a migraine
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5407 on: October 04, 2014, 02:41:28 AM »
Not a whole lot.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5408 on: October 04, 2014, 03:56:49 AM »
Took the PR to the surgeon.  Staples are out, steri-strips on the incision, splint is off, cast is on.  She is positively beaming.

Nice!!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5409 on: October 04, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »
Trying to go through bins in the garage...unfortunately the kids are awake.

Open bin, remove cat 1....go through bin, put stuff in box for donation, remove cat 2...chase cat 2 and get the stuff off of him he stole from donation box...pick up stuff cat 1 has knocked off the table that needs to go back in bin...put stuff back in bin...remove cat 1 from bin and close lid.

:zombiefuck:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5410 on: October 04, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
At a car dealership for 3.5 hours this morning with my son doing paperwork and waiting for it to go through

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5411 on: October 05, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
Dropped kid off at school. Start of a trip to Rome.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5412 on: October 05, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »
got up

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5413 on: October 05, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »
Bought and installed a new light in the kitchen

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5414 on: October 05, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »
Sorted out some tech stuff that's been bugging me for a while.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.