Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157362 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #5280 on: August 31, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »
What are seng and sheeps head. Sheeps head..is that Grifolia spp? otherwise known as hen of the woods?

Amillaria is another good one that I like, the young, opened caps are the best IMO. Best when tender and fried in a bit of butter, just simply fried before serving. Alcohol should not be consumed with this genus of mushrooms, as it may well be the cause of quite a few of the bad reactions to them that affect some people. And IIRC about ten percent of people react badly to sulfur polypores, not usually serious, GI symptoms mainly.

Quite surprising what species are the cause of seemingly quite a lot of bad experiences. Even oyster mushrooms, cep sometimes do.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5281 on: August 31, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
What are seng and sheeps head. Sheeps head..is that Grifolia spp? otherwise known as hen of the woods?

Amillaria is another good one that I like, the young, opened caps are the best IMO. Best when tender and fried in a bit of butter, just simply fried before serving. Alcohol should not be consumed with this genus of mushrooms, as it may well be the cause of quite a few of the bad reactions to them that affect some people. And IIRC about ten percent of people react badly to sulfur polypores, not usually serious, GI symptoms mainly.

Quite surprising what species are the cause of seemingly quite a lot of bad experiences. Even oyster mushrooms, cep sometimes do.

Sheephead = Hen of the woods/Maitake... but no one refers to them as the later around here. The retired hunters won't even know what you're talking about.  :LOL:

seng = Wild Ginseng...  around $850-$1200 per lb last year.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5282 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
I know hen of the woods as Grifolia frondosa or G.umbellata, both very scarce here. If you ever take any spore prints on something like foil, I'd be interested in doing business, to try and culture some mycelium and grow the sclerotia to plant and see if I couldn't grow some myself.

Do you happen to know if G.frondosa blackens when picked, in older specimens? I have seen a polypore-type fungus that looks quite like it, but I think its giant polypore, a much much less desirable species, which does blacken.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5283 on: August 31, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »
Got $ from the bank, filled the tank in the car, fed the family.  Spilled dirty water on my clothes when washing the dishes about 5, took a bath and I'm in my jammies.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5284 on: September 01, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
I know hen of the woods as Grifolia frondosa or G.umbellata, both very scarce here. If you ever take any spore prints on something like foil, I'd be interested in doing business, to try and culture some mycelium and grow the sclerotia to plant and see if I couldn't grow some myself.

Do you happen to know if G.frondosa blackens when picked, in older specimens? I have seen a polypore-type fungus that looks quite like it, but I think its giant polypore, a much much less desirable species, which does blacken.

The young ones are almost creamy white at times, the older they get the deeper the color. We've come across 20, 30 lb ones...they will blacken on the tree starting at the edges if left grow too long...and the older ones get darker after you soak them, the texture isn't as nice.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5285 on: September 01, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
Not much went out curbside shopping picked up some stuff
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5286 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »
Sold a couple of bikes...waiting to hear back from someone interested in one of the oil tanks I've also got listed...going curb shopping later.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5287 on: September 01, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
Went to a house that will be holding an estate sale this coming weekend to get first pick of everything and help them some on how to hold the sale.  They were clueless and wanted way to much for most of the stuff and seemed annoyed at the prices I was telling them to put on things if they want them gone. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5288 on: September 01, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
Yeah I know maitake can reach some monstrous sizes. I've found some whopper sulfur polypore in my time too, although they are at their best when young.

How do you tell the difference between maitake and giant polypore though? Aside from the latter intensely blackening quite quickly when picked. Brought some home recently (giant polypore) and by the time I'd finished hiking and walked home it looked too revolting to even consider eating.

Been finding a lot of bay boletes recently (Boletus, or its older genus, now known to be polyphyletic, Xerocomus badius), with big fat stalks looking quite like cep, or even more like B.appendiculatus and caps a few inches thick and a 10-12 inches in diameter.

Those are pretty good eating too, quite a mild flavour, but tasty nevertheless. Apparently they are really popular in poland, as well as honey fungus/pidenki, the boletes are strung up to dry for storage and hung from the ceiling or other fixtures.

They do seem a bit prone to being full of maggots when picked however.

Saw a few common ink caps (Coprinus atrementarius) yesterday, but small and growing by a busy road, so I didn't take them for pollution reasons. And the fact I'd intended on drinking alcohol, and a lot of it, a liter bottle of vodka today in two shots. Whilst the alcohol-sensitive toxin in common inkcap, coprine, doesn't kill, it can make you really wish it would if alcohol is consumed within about 3-4 days post-mushroom-eating.

The size of maitake reminds me of giant puffballs, those can grow up to a meter and a half or so in diameter and way up to 50lb. I've heard tell of even bigger ones than that, but that isn't as common as those reaching 1m across. Those are delightful to eat when white through and through, as are the probably related Calviatia utriformis. Got my eyes on some puffballs atm, watching their growth until they get large enough to make a meal out of. Not sure of the species, but either Lycoperdon or Calvatia spp. Money is on the latter genus though rather than Lycoperdon. Puffballs are another of my favourite fungi to eat, good for the novice hunter as well, as all true puffballs are edible, the toxic earth-balls are easy to tell apart, and there isn't much danger from being unable to ID a possibly toxic gilled mushroom still within the velum universale. Common, and many are really good eating. I'm a happy bunny whenever find big puffballs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:15:22 PM by Lestat »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5289 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
I took a shower and logged on here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5290 on: September 07, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Unloaded my dishwasher, did a laundry and trimmed a part of the laurel hedge. Also cut back/topped the box(-tree) hedge. Garden looks way better now.

Took care of the plants in pots, showered, made lunch, had two coffees, etc..

Going to mount my bicycle soon (not like I did yesterday when I hurt one of my balls  :zoinks: ) and get me some groceries, then.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5291 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »
Vacuumed, did dishes, cleaned the bathroom sink, put a bunch of things in boxes.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5292 on: September 07, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
Curbside shopping
Real shopping I bought a new Lazy-Boy to replace the ratty one I am sitting in now
Cleaned the inside of the van
Mowed my tiny front law
Began making my own curbside fall clean up pile for them to pick up Wednesday

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5293 on: September 08, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »
  It's de-hoarding day!  I ran my loud whiny paper shredder for hours like an asshole!   :snowman:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5294 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
I got up and had a cup of coffee.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein