Educational

Author Topic: Lack of Online Resources Explaining the Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories  (Read 3806 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: Lack of Online Resources Explaining the Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
Speaking of conspiracy theories, how about global warming?

We know that global warming is a natural event that happens at the beginning and end of each ice-age, and yet we have all these greenies and pollies pushing the alternative energy message. I'm convinced that it's all to do with money, as the alternative energy people need grants and things to get their projects underway, and who better to convince than the greenies who have the government's ear.

Global warming = carbon tax = more money for govt funding.

That particular conspiracy theory belongs to the anti-science American neo-conservative tea party movement.  i didn't know it actually got any traction out in the rest of the rest of the world.  My opinion of Australia just dropped :(

No, the global warming theory is conspiracy, as these idiots think that by getting govt taxes to spend on half-assed projects like solar power and windfarms, they are going to save the planet. Bullshit with a capital B.

:o :o :o

So you, with your vast knowledge on the subject have decided that global warming is a conspiracy ???

Open your eyes, luv. You've been conned. That's if you can pull your head out of your fundament long enough.

Hypocrite.

The_Chosen_One

Re: Lack of Online Resources Explaining the Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »

We know that global warming is a natural event that happens at the beginning and end of each ice-age, and yet we have all these greenies and pollies pushing the alternative energy message. I'm convinced that it's all to do with money, as the alternative energy people need grants and things to get their projects underway, and who better to convince than the greenies who have the government's ear.

That particular conspiracy theory belongs to the anti-science American neo-conservative tea party movement.  i didn't know it actually got any traction out in the rest of the rest of the world.  My opinion of Australia just dropped :(

No, the global warming theory is conspiracy, as these idiots think that by getting govt taxes to spend on half-assed projects like solar power and windfarms, they are going to save the planet. Bullshit with a capital B.

So you, with your vast knowledge on the subject have decided that global warming is a conspiracy ???

Open your eyes, luv. You've been conned. That's if you can pull your head out of your fundament long enough.

Hypocrite.
OK, so do you think we should just keep burning fossil fuel as we have been, or do you think we should be aiming to create more renewable energy?

Fossil fuels will last for eternity. They are being produced all the time. Besides, the earth has had cycles of 'global warming' for millennia, and has recovered. This 'save the planet' bullshit only came about becasue of a lot of pot-head hippie greenies got their knickers in a twist about an inversion layer over Los Angeles. That's what made all the polution there. In other places, a similar thing may have happened, or weather phenomena may have caused the pollution to linger. Solar power and windfarms are only ever going to power a small amount of the grid, where do you find the rest of the energy? Besides, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is at 0.02%, which is negligible compared to oxygen and nitrogen. Yes, everyone who has listened to these halfwits has been conned, left right and center.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
Fossil fuels will last for eternity. They are being produced all the time.

Let's start there.  Explain.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »

Hypocrite.
OK, so do you think we should just keep burning fossil fuel as we have been, or do you think we should be aiming to create more renewable energy?

Fossil fuels will last for eternity. They are being produced all the time. Besides, the earth has had cycles of 'global warming' for millennia, and has recovered. This 'save the planet' bullshit only came about becasue of a lot of pot-head hippie greenies got their knickers in a twist about an inversion layer over Los Angeles. That's what made all the polution there. In other places, a similar thing may have happened, or weather phenomena may have caused the pollution to linger. Solar power and windfarms are only ever going to power a small amount of the grid, where do you find the rest of the energy? Besides, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is at 0.02%, which is negligible compared to oxygen and nitrogen. Yes, everyone who has listened to these halfwits has been conned, left right and center.

:facepalm2: :facepalm2:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »
Hmmm.  What's a fossil?  Those things the devil but in the ground to confuse the good christian folk?  Is jesus still putting new fossils in the ground, and adding more carbon fuels while he is at it?  :P

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:42 PM »
Must read up more on this global warming conspiracy thingy to see what exactly it is about ...

That said, my advice to Steve would be to not believe everything he reads that caters to his ears.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »

Why? Either take my word or look it up.

But if you want an explanation, volcanos, trees, and most lifeforms produce carbon. Now as the amount of CO2 in the atmoshere is 0.02%, the carbon is being absorbed by the earth. After millions of years, coal is formed through vulcanisation and rotting vegetation. Sure, they have said tat it takes 70 million years to form coal, but as the earth was vegetated at least 400,000,000 years ago, and the amount of volcaninc activity that took place in that time, there would have been coal produced on a regular basis. We as a planet could not have used up 70,000,000 years worth of resources in 200 years, even accounting for the oil reserves and coal reserves that we've used. Think it's bullshit? That's up to you. Don't care. Me? I'm hardly going to listen to a bunch of wankers sitting around singing Kumbaya and hoping that the world can be saved with some cosmetic changes. I say we as humanity have a good 30,000 years before we need to worry about anything. That is unless some idiot decides to start another stupid war, like Afghanistan.....

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
To the naysayers who want to ridicule:  :finger:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »

Why? Either take my word or look it up.

But if you want an explanation, volcanos, trees, and most lifeforms produce carbon. Now as the amount of CO2 in the atmoshere is 0.02%, the carbon is being absorbed by the earth. After millions of years, coal is formed through vulcanisation and rotting vegetation. Sure, they have said tat it takes 70 million years to form coal, but as the earth was vegetated at least 400,000,000 years ago, and the amount of volcaninc activity that took place in that time, there would have been coal produced on a regular basis. We as a planet could not have used up 70,000,000 years worth of resources in 200 years, even accounting for the oil reserves and coal reserves that we've used. Think it's bullshit? That's up to you. Don't care. Me? I'm hardly going to listen to a bunch of wankers sitting around singing Kumbaya and hoping that the world can be saved with some cosmetic changes. I say we as humanity have a good 30,000 years before we need to worry about anything. That is unless some idiot decides to start another stupid war, like Afghanistan.....

OMG Steve. I am stunned at your ignorance. Just read a few articles on the internet about global warming.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »

I don't agree with you about the global warming thingy being a conspiracy by the government (or whatever) to exploit people's money. Doesn't mean I'm interested in ridiculing you.

As long as you don't insult me, I won't insult you.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 07:43:50 PM »

I don't agree with you about the global warming thingy being a conspiracy by the government (or whatever) to exploit people's money. Doesn't mean I'm interested in ridiculing you.

Not intending to.

@ Butterflies: if the internet is your prime source of knowledge, then you have DEFINITELY got a long way to go. You surely don't believe EVERYTHING you read on it??

midlifeaspie

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
We as a planet could not have used up 70,000,000 years worth of resources in 200 years

I never looked at it that way.  The one number is certainly bigger than the other.  Thank you for backing up your point with such grounded scientific evidence and obvious intellect and reason.  :)

midlifeaspie

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »

Not intending to.

@ Butterflies: if the internet is your prime source of knowledge, then you have DEFINITELY got a long way to go. You surely don't believe EVERYTHING you read on it??

You don't use the internet for your conspiracy theories, right?  You rely on books and the radio, right?  :viking:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
We as a planet could not have used up 70,000,000 years worth of resources in 200 years

I never looked at it that way.  The one number is certainly bigger than the other.  Thank you for backing up your point with such grounded scientific evidence and obvious intellect and reason.  :)

And as the years go by, even more would be made.

Now, even though rainforests have been cleared in some parts, there is an answer. Plant more trees. New growth will be more beneficial than old growth anyway, as the older growth will be failing to produce enough fuel after a certain amount of time due to its dying out.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »

Not intending to.

I like to garner information and facts from a variety of places including internet, TV, and newspapers before I form opinions on big matters.

Where are you getting your knowledge from?