Author Topic: I had a dream! tonight  (Read 3414 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: I had a dream! tonight
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
"Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition"

I see you suffer from the same misinformation todays blacks subscribe to.

Lincoln only freed the slaves on the southern side of the conflict. On the northern side of the battle lines the slaves continued to work.

It was a tactical maneuver.

Remember Lincoln was a racist also, until he met Frederick Douglass.

Sorry to spoil yer dream

Dream on.

Thanks Skyblue, but the man who wrote this is dead.  Can't really educate him, sorry.

There is something about creating a movement through public speech that isn't best served by nitpicking facts but rather conveying emotion and persuading your audience.

Edited to ask:  While we have a history expert on board, can you please tell me who did free the slaves?  Or are you pretty sure that the northern states still have slaves?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:37:06 PM by Hubert Hemingway »

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
oops my bad.

I agree with Bobby Kennedy on MLK

What an asswipe

midlifeaspie

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »
oops my bad.

What an asswipe

I have no idea what this means.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
"Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition"

Lincoln only freed the slaves on the southern side of the conflict. On the northern side of the battle lines the slaves continued to work.

It was a tactical maneuver.

Remember Lincoln was a racist also, until he met Frederick Douglass.

Sorry to spoil yer dream

Dream on.

Thanks Skyblue, but the man who wrote this is dead.  Can't really educate him, sorry.

There is something about creating a movement through public speech that isn't best served by nitpicking facts but rather conveying emotion and persuading your audience.

Edited to ask:  While we have a history expert on board, can you please tell me who did free the slaves?  Or are you pretty sure that the northern states still have slaves?
The first Confederate congress dealt with the issue of slave-trading. They agreed that it should no longer be allowed.

But only because too many white youth didnt have anything to do. The slaves had their jobs.

I dont care what happened on the northern side of the border.

The war was about states rights not slavery

I believe Lincoln started using it in 1863 as a recruitment tool. Lets go free the negro.

It seems not too many yanks wanted to fight in Lincolns war. Especially folks in the port cities in New York and Maryland. Heck they wanted to do business not fight.

Of course you must remember the victorious got to write the history books concerning their grand war.

They just left us in poverty.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:51:35 PM by skyblue1 »

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
oops my bad.

What an asswipe

I have no idea what this means.

LOL ,what he said in public and private were 2 different things

Check it out in the newly released Jackie Kennedy tapes

midlifeaspie

« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
I didn't know you were a southern apologist.    :dunno:

Can I go out on a limb and assume you don't take kindly to integration and sharing your bathrooms and water fountains and buses with blacks?  Would you allow your daughter to date one?  What word do you usually use in your head when thinking of black people?

And before you get started, I am really not Chair.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »
I didn't know you were a southern apologist.    :dunno:

Can I go out on a limb and assume you don't take kindly to integration and sharing your bathrooms and water fountains and buses with blacks?  Would you allow your daughter to date one?  What word do you usually use in your head when thinking of black people?

And before you get started, I am really not Chair.
dont have anything against any human, regardless of color.

The separation of the races was done by my great great grandfather and his kin, not me.

I tell more white guys to get the fuck out of my face than anyone, and show respect for the blacks that I come into contact with. Thats all anyone can do is show respect for all.

All I can do is say history as I have learned it. Its irony I guess that I speak of the south with respect, being southern. As an Aspie I not only stand out, because of my genetic differences.  But also because my politics  is so the opposite that of my fellow southerners.

meh......dont draw me into your racist arguments. Been there, done that.

Chair?  You act like you actually have some brains, couldnt be Chair.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
you held it in a long time ? I cant do that with tobacco or woldnt know why anyone would want to. Also when I smoked weed I kept it in like 30 seconds. Doing that with cigarettes would have killed me. And wtf were you doing smoking weed with tobacco ? Is that you or a custom in your neck of the woods ? I have honestly never talked to an American that did that.
I'm sure it is rare in the states. Over in Spain when we smoked with Spaniards we often did it their way. A porro is a joint where heated & crumbled hashish is mixed with tobacco and rolled up fatter on the end that gets lit. The end that gets put in the mouth gets a short length of match book paper rolled into a tube as a cooling chamber. Of course when we filled the pipe the Spaniards would smoke it our way. It was all about international cooperation.  :2thumbsup:

:plus:   for being a fine goodwill ambassador and promoting worldwide peace and brotherhood!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
Lesbian sex between you and Emma would make my dick explode. :tard:

And then what good would you be?  :dunno:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »

He could film it.  :orly:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »

He could film it.  :orly:
would make a great U-tube video

P7PSP

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »

Bullshit. The 13th amendment Passed in the Senate on April 8th 1864, it passed in the House on January 31st 1865. This was before a Southern sympathizer killed Lincoln. Secretary of State Seward announced it as adopted in December 1865 but the ground work was done before Booth killed Lincoln.

The first Confederate congress dealt with the issue of slave-trading. They agreed that it should no longer be allowed.
The USA dealt with slave trading well before the CSA tried to form their own country - in 1808 importation of slaves was prohibited. The only reason the CSA was not going to resume importation of slaves was that they were seeking recognition from the European powers that had banned slave trading decades before.
The war was about states rights not slavery
Bullshit. 4 of the 11 states that made up the CSA wrote up Declarations For Causes of Secession - Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas. Every fucking one of them refers to the Union fucking with their right to own Negroes. http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html
Furthermore I present to you - The Cornerstone Speech - given by Alexander H. Stephens Vice President of the CSA on March 21st 1861. http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?documentprint=76

From The Cornerstone Speech "The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact." Read it for yourselves.

P7PSP

« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
As for the states rights arguments - why would the CSA revolt over states rights, specifically the right to own negroes, and then deny the right of any of its constituent states to outlaw slavery? How is taking away that option being all about states rights? Here is the Confederate Constitution http://www.usconstitution.net/csa.html Read Section 9.4 "No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed."
That was a fucking disgusting document back in 1861 and it still is.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »

Perhaps the most important states rights argument during those times.

Was about  the southern states wanting to trade with whomever they wanted, without their goods being tariffed when they came into northern ports. The southern states wanted to do more trade with England, as the English paid more for our goods. The US government frowned on that.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
As for the states rights arguments - why would the CSA revolt over states rights, specifically the right to own negroes, and then deny the right of any of its constituent states to outlaw slavery? How is taking away that option being all about states rights? Here is the Confederate Constitution http://www.usconstitution.net/csa.html Read Section 9.4 "No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed."
That was a fucking disgusting document back in 1861 and it still is.
dont get pissed at me , I wasnt alive during those days.