Author Topic: Forum Darwinism  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
Forum Darwinism
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:16:27 AM »
I was thinking about this the other day after seeing yet another poster on WP trash talking the PPR forum there and talking about what a cesspit full of awful people it is.  I think of PPR as comparatively mild, I mean it's a bit rougher than the rest of WP, but is certainly tamer than most political forums on the internet at large.  Apparently that's still too rowdy for some people so they avoid that board, natural selection having weeded them out from participating on that forum.  Some people just can't stand to have their ideas attacked or questioned, or can't separate themselves enough from their opinions to discuss them rationally, or just don't like the confrontational tone there. 

I2 seems to have a similar dynamic in that it's just too rough for some people, while others thrive in the less constrained environment.  It seems to weed out a different kind of person, people who take themselves too seriously or can't laugh at themselves from time to time, as well as the sensitive in general.  I also think it has a blindspot though, in that not having the usual mods and rules that AS boards tend to makes it harder for regulars here to function on a more moderated board.  This is what I was trying to get at in my other thread, until I let myself get sidetracked by other issues and drawn into some drama; being rusty at posting here and all. 

What I'm talking about is the reverse natural selection concerning people who never learn to post with subtlety and discretion because they've never had to, they never break bad habits because they never get called on them.  This isn't a criticism, just an observation I've made over years of posting at different forums with different rules and noticing patterns.  Not being allowed to just directly personally attack someone does have value in that it makes you think harder about how to come at them, how to use them as a springboard for an argument to the crowd, and how to actually persuade rather than bludgeon with logic.  I think that sort of ability is a useful one to have in everyday life, since it's not usually a good idea to verbally abuse someone to their face, and learning to be persuasive rather than trying to win an argument is invaluable for an Aspie. 

Again, just my thoughts and observations.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Forum Darwinism
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »
Just to clarify, I'm not arguing for moderation or anything like that, merely pointing out an observation made from posting on heavily vs lightly moderated boards.

eris

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:13 AM »
I think being a sneaky about picking on someone or not telling them what you truly feel is cowardly. That being said, shit vomit monkey rape aids enema.

P7PSP

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:30:35 AM »
After 3.5 years on another forum, not aspie, I recently got 2 mod warnings within a month. One was for a fairly direct personal attack, the other for posting a rather mild girl in a bikini doing a handstand jpg to call someone an attention whore. Prior to that I had been more subtle in personal attacks etc. Maybe I was tired.  :dunno: I think that tendency you refer to may have contributed to getting the infractions. I never did get a whole lot of warnings at WP, probably 6 or 7 total.

P7PSP

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:34:41 AM »
This post is cool because it is 112 X 102. enema rape monkey that eris  :P  :hahaha:

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:39:28 AM »
I think being a sneaky about picking on someone or not telling them what you truly feel is cowardly. That being said, shit vomit monkey rape aids enema.

That's not what I'm saying at all; I'm just saying that when the direct approach is forbidden it forces you to branch out and learn new skills.  It's like doing everything you'd normally do with your strong hand with your weak one for a month, it changes how you approach things and adds versatility to your problem solving ability.  I doubt anyone I like or dislike on WP has any doubt about how I feel about them, just because I can't directly insult them doesn't mean I have to sneak around and back-stab them, it just means I have to be more careful in my wording to avoid running afoul of the TOS and the mods.  It's like using a sharp knife vs a blunt object.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:46:47 AM »
JesusfuckingChristonacrutch, not more fucking Wankplanet shite again.

What is this, episode 7250?

Offline Buzz Killington

• Tattle tale
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:47:23 AM »
After 3.5 years on another forum, not aspie, I recently got 2 mod warnings within a month. One was for a fairly direct personal attack, the other for posting a rather mild girl in a bikini doing a handstand jpg to call someone an attention whore. Prior to that I had been more subtle in personal attacks etc. Maybe I was tired.  :dunno: I think that tendency you refer to may have contributed to getting the infractions. I never did get a whole lot of warnings at WP, probably 6 or 7 total.

I know exactly how that goes; the driver forums I used to frequent were far more permissive than WP about personal attacks and arguments, and all my mod warnings were in the early days when I was still using both sets of forums.  It's really easy to get used to one set of norms, and then get totally flummoxed when you switch environments and previously acceptable conduct is suddenly not OK.  What's interesting to me is that posting for years under relatively strict moderation has made me a much better debater both online and off, having rules to try and bend provides a challenge and keeps me interested to a certain degree.  I also tend to like arguing lost causes and unpopular positions, I mean what's the point of arguing at all if it's easy?

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 04:57:19 AM »
For some reason i find it much easier to argue on behalf of someone, and
tend to let things go in relation to myself.   :dunno:

I usually end up supporting the underdog.  Well look at my bloody
footy team :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:04:50 AM »
I have a preference to less moderated forums.
I have been on less moderated forums than this one. None have actually managed to go long term surprisingly  :autism:
Thinking of going and trolling a certain site at present. It is a Marilyn Manson site :autism:
Could be fun. Yes I will not be direct there,  :green:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 07:04:35 AM »
Actually a less moderated forum is more challenging because you have no moderators to exploit and are completely on your own. You rely purely on how you establish your reputation with the community and how well your timing and execution is. The flaw of moderated forums is that, by establishing great standing with one or more of the mods a mutual 'arrangement' can then exist (TL;DR: Easily corruptible). This gives you leeway to being a bit more of an asshole while not suffering as much consequences. The key is knowing when to not push it too far. Relax for a while, agitate, get told off (while secretly they don't really mind, just putting on a show) and rinse and repeat.

It's actually not all that hard to lurk on a forum that's more moderated, and gain the feel of the place and know exactly what's appropriate to say. Once you know how the big players are and what the moderators are like, you can exploit that information to your advantage. I've never been banned from any forum (if anything I gotten other people banned, never reported them, I just pissed them off enough. :laugh: ), except one where I intentionally just kept at it with trolling until I drove them nuts literally.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:11:34 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Dox makes a good point. On this site, I can call someone a dick. On WP, that wasnt allowed so I had to learn new skills.
I learned how to track down someones personal information, and then how to create lots of fake sites in their name.
These are skills I would not have if it werent for WPs heavy moderation.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 07:18:37 AM »
Dox makes a good point. On this site, I can call someone a dick. On WP, that wasnt allowed so I had to learn new skills.
I learned how to track down someones personal information, and then how to create lots of fake sites in their name.

lol, come to think of it, heavy moderation backfired there because it's supposed to deter you from taking things further. :toporly:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
My point exactly. If Leejosepho had just let me insinuate Parakeet was gay, Id quickly have moved on. Because he wouldnt let me make my point, I became frustrated, and caused Parakeet real problems.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »

So WP actually contributed to your embracing the forces of darkness!   :vader:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"