Educational

Author Topic: Sept 11 - 10 years on. An interesting question....  (Read 1378 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Sept 11 - 10 years on. An interesting question....
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 06:01:03 AM »
I remember in the late 1990s my friend and I were on a plane to Thailand and we got shown the flight deck (or whatever it is called) and a flight attendant opened the door to it. Really easy. No way that would ever happen now. So I count myself lucky for having had the experience that people wouldn't get now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »
I remember in the late 1990s my friend and I were on a plane to Thailand and we got shown the flight deck (or whatever it is called) and a flight attendant opened the door to it. Really easy. No way that would ever happen now. So I count myself lucky for having had the experience that people wouldn't get now.

They did that for me when I was a kid in the 70' and 80's when I flew alone
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »

Did you sit with a pilot named Clarence Oveur?  :zoinks:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »

I remember him he asked if I like gladiator movies :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

I remember him he asked if I like gladiator movies :zoinks:

And he asked you whether you'd seen a grown man naked.

'Surely you can't be serious'
'I am, and don't call me Shirley'.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 11:55:57 AM »

Yes, Al Qaeda was funded by the CIA all through the 80's when they were fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan was to the Soviets what Viet Nam was to the U.S. 

Fighting through proxy.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »

Yes, Al Qaeda was funded by the CIA all through the 80's when they were fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan was to the Soviets what Viet Nam was to the U.S. 

Fighting through proxy.
The best-known mujahideen were the various loosely aligned Afghan opposition groups, which initially rebelled against the incumbent pro-Soviet Democratic Republic of Afghanistan (DRA) government during the late 1970s. At the DRA's request, the Soviet Union intervened. The mujahideen then fought against Soviet and DRA troops during the Soviet war in Afghanistan. After the Soviet Union pulled out of the conflict in the late 1980s the mujahideen fought each other in the subsequent Afghan Civil War.[35]

Afghanistan's resistance movement was born in chaos and, at first, virtually all of its war was waged locally by regional warlords. As warfare became more sophisticated, outside support and regional coordination grew. Even so, the basic units of mujahideen organization and action continued to reflect the highly segmented nature of Afghan society.[36] Eventually, the seven main mujahideen parties allied themselves into the political bloc called Islamic Unity of Afghanistan Mujahideen.

Many Muslims from other countries assisted the various mujahideen groups in Afghanistan. Some groups of these veterans have been significant factors in more recent conflicts in and around the Muslim world. Osama bin Laden, originally from a wealthy family in Saudi Arabia, was a prominent organizer and financier of an all-Arab Islamist group of foreign volunteers; his Maktab al-Khadamat funnelled money, arms, and Muslim fighters from around the Muslim world into Afghanistan, with the assistance and support of the Saudi and Pakistani governments.[37] These foreign fighters became known as "Afghan Arabs" and their efforts were coordinated by Abdullah Yusuf Azzam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mujahideen

Scrapheap

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
And then there are the ones that consider suicide to be an automatic ticket to hell. That is not what Jesus called the only unforgivable sin.

I'm no theologian, but according to the story Jesus knew he was going to be nailed up, right?  Yet he went ahead and let it happen.  How is that not suicide, and therefore hypocrisy?

All religions depend on the hypocricy of their gods and leaders. "Do as I say, not as I do".  ::)

Scrapheap

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »

Not exactly. Al Queda didn't exist as an organization at that point. The US was funding the same people and orginizations that became Al Qaeda.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
if  jesus came back from the dead, would that back him a zombie?

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »

Not exactly. Al Queda didn't exist as an organization at that point. The US was funding the same people and orginizations that became Al Qaeda.
reply #36, an excerpt from wikipedia, showed that it was collection of  groups

Scrapheap

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »

reply #36, an excerpt from wikipedia, showed that it was collection of  groups

Exactly. It formed from the non-Afghan elements of the Mujahideen.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2011, 05:28:09 PM »
if  jesus came back from the dead, would that back him a zombie?

Maybe Bart and Lisa did it one Halloween. That explains why Homer shot the zombie Flanders.