Educational

Author Topic: Ask Iamnotaparakeet a question  (Read 10014 times)

Offline VenatorDraconum

• Frequent Poster
  • iamnotaparakeet
Re: Ask Iamnotaparakeet a question
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
Ok. I'll start things off.

You mentioned that you were an investor on your WP profile. What do you invest in?

Silver. Not very much though, could only afford a couple troy ounces a year or so ago, but it's better to have something when the currency of your nation is decreasing in value.

Hi VenatorDraconum.

:welcome:

How much was your silver when you bought it?

I bought some at $16 an ounce a year or two ago or so but I can't remember exactly when it was.  I think that it was a good investment as a hedge against inflation.

I have one troy ounce from '95 which was $7 when bought back then and unfortunately recently (last March or so) I bought 2/3rds of a troy ounce when it was $35 per troy ounce (although at that time the increase in price per time was steep). It would have been better to buy a little bit more for the same amount of money back in 2010 rather than this year though, but that's just how things go. If nobody's noticed, I often speak in hyperbole of which the term "investor" was hyperbole. If I could ever afford to invest in stocks or mutual funds I would probably try those, along with CDs and Treasury notes, but like it's been said before it does take money to make money and it's difficult to save when necessities such as rent and gasoline take up most of the income.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »
I suppose a better question then would be, why are your views so much different to other christians?

You believe that the world is 10000 years old, and that giants once walked the earth. Ive never met a christian who believes that, including my old minister.

How comw youve ended up with views that seem completely out of step with modern christianity.

What's modern Christianity?

There are all sorts of Christian sects and denominations even in today's world.

Personally, I think Iamnotaparakeet (and Christians like him), as ridiculous as their beliefs are, have a more honest and accurate approach to the Bible than liberal Christians.

The books in the Bible were originally meant as a tool to control masses of gullible uneducated people. It was not often meant to be taken metaphorically as many today's Christians do.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 06:32:43 PM »
@Jack. No I never knew that. Im sure nowhere near half of British Chridtians are young eath believers. I wonder if that figure is including all the African Christians.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »
And I certainly hope 'keet sticks around. Even if he is only here to read all the juicy hidden gossip.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »

You mentioned that you were an investor on your WP profile. What do you invest in?

Silver. Not very much though, could only afford a couple troy ounces a year or so ago, but it's better to have something when the currency of your nation is decreasing in value.

Hi VenatorDraconum.

I bought some at $16 an ounce a year or two ago or so but I can't remember exactly when it was.  I think that it was a good investment as a hedge against inflation.

I have one troy ounce from '95 which was $7 when bought back then and unfortunately recently (last March or so) I bought 2/3rds of a troy ounce when it was $35 per troy ounce (although at that time the increase in price per time was steep). It would have been better to buy a little bit more for the same amount of money back in 2010 rather than this year though, but that's just how things go. If nobody's noticed, I often speak in hyperbole of which the term "investor" was hyperbole. If I could ever afford to invest in stocks or mutual funds I would probably try those, along with CDs and Treasury notes, but like it's been said before it does take money to make money and it's difficult to save when necessities such as rent and gasoline take up most of the income.

IMO right now most stocks suck.  Maybe you could pick a few that have become undervalued in the recent downturn.  I'm not that good of a picker, though.  I picked GE stock and all it has done is lose value ever since.

Offline VenatorDraconum

• Frequent Poster
  • iamnotaparakeet
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »
And I certainly hope 'keet sticks around. Even if he is only here to read all the juicy hidden gossip.

I don't really want to hear any gossip, but this forum does seem a bit more active than WP even if I do need to use AdBlock more often.

Osensitive1

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
@Jack. No I never knew that. Im sure nowhere near half of British Chridtians are young eath believers. I wonder if that figure is including all the African Christians.
Not sure; can't remember at the moment, but just found a gallup poll from last year with similar results, so may be remembering something which included the US only. http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm

Offline VenatorDraconum

• Frequent Poster
  • iamnotaparakeet
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »

Hi VenatorDraconum.

IMO right now most stocks suck.  Maybe you could pick a few that have become undervalued in the recent downturn.  I'm not that good of a picker, though.  I picked GE stock and all it has done is lose value ever since.

I haven't even done that. I'd recommend finding a book about sane investing or some such, you'd get a lot better advice than from me.

P7PSP

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »

I don't really want to hear any gossip, but this forum does seem a bit more active than WP even if I do need to use AdBlock more often.
What are you referring to? This place has no ads.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
At least this forum doesn't have Justin Bieber ads.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
As much as metals are up now I think they will fall soon they are out pacing their value.   Up until a few years ago I had about 10 lbs of silver but work was slow and money short,  I only have about eight or nine ounces left of that
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
@Jack. Yes. That is an American poll. It is only 10000 people, so its hard to know how accurately it represents the overall view of Americans, but, if accurate I am totally shocked.

P7PSP

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
As much as metals are up now I think they will fall soon they are out pacing their value.   Up until a few years ago I had about 10 lbs of silver but work was slow and money short,  I only have about eight or nine ounces left of that
Send the rest to me, I'll store it in my safe for you.  :zoinks:

Offline VenatorDraconum

• Frequent Poster
  • iamnotaparakeet
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »

What are you referring to? This place has no ads.

Anything I don't want to see. AdBlock disables images from showing, not ads specifically. It fails when the ads are adobe based, but works for any that are image based.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »
Your intentions are clearly out of vengeance. If you were not vengeful then you'd not be here at all, to be frank.

So, everyone here is here out of vengeance?

That made no logical sense and is not part of the argument.

You're hardly here for a friendly chat, perhaps your denial is pulling wool over your eyes.

Forget it Shleed, it's no use trying lol.

But for our guests, if you sign up now, you shall receive bonus drama such as this epic (which is mild compared to some others). You're missing out if you don't register and post here. :zoinks:

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,16664.0.html
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.