Author Topic: What are You doing right now? (Pt 2)  (Read 67501 times)

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: What are You doing right now? (Pt 2)
« Reply #4680 on: June 08, 2022, 07:01:19 PM »
Is supper the same as dinner?

yeah... some parts of the states and even UK basically call it supper (or dinner, depending on how formal you're wanting to be)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #4681 on: June 08, 2022, 09:01:00 PM »
Is supper the same as dinner?

Supper is the term I grew up with as the idea of dinner.  So, yeah, it is the same depending on the country or culture as to what you call it.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4682 on: June 09, 2022, 07:31:43 PM »
Thank you both. We call it dinner or tea. Tea is more casual but probably wrong since some think of it as a cup of tea.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4683 on: June 09, 2022, 07:37:19 PM »
Thank you both. We call it dinner or tea. Tea is more casual but probably wrong since some think of it as a cup of tea.

It depends upon the country or the culture.  If I visited in Australia I would accept and use whatever worked.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4684 on: June 09, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »
Listening to youtube tunes.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4685 on: June 10, 2022, 01:38:29 PM »
Remember me talking about those "rocket furnace"  precut wooden log fragments you can buy that burn from the inside out? 
I found free logs!

Right now, I think I am ready to cut up three nice sized logs I scavenged yesterday. Then drilling them, I will have eleven easy burn log remnants to use when the time is right. These are maple logs, so quite a bit more here than the ash we usually find for sale.

The reason that most of those logs are ash is because of a bug, commonly called ash borer, that has infected almost all ash trees across the mid and eastern USA. The Department of Natural Resources searches out infected ash trees and cuts them down to help curb the continuing threat of ash borers. So lots of ash logs out there in the market.
They process them by heated kiln drying which kills larva, eggs and burrowing adults, so they are then safe to resell for firewood. BUT, you drill a hole partway down the center and another onto the center hole from the side and you have something you can sell to modern suburbanites for fifty times what the wood is worth for firewood.
 :lol1:

Enter the modern suburbanite "with tools" and he can do that himself after acquiring free logs from an aged maple in my case.
My son and I loaded up three great logs into my SUV on the way home yesterday. HEAVY! 
... but we did it and now it is chainsaw time.

The logs are fourteen to sixteen inches across, so lots of good fire wood there. We also managed to have them save a thirty two inch diameter hollow portion (the reason this huge tree had to come down) that I am going to use as a fire pit for a while.
I intend to fill the hollow part with wood and just burn that until the center is burned so much its structure fails. Then, I'll just split that all up and throw it into the grill as smokers when grilling time happens.

Going to be a fun day. My daughter uses my little chainsaw with no worries, but my son has only barely touched it, maybe three times.
He will get a bit more experience using a chainsaw this afternoon! His fear seems to be mostly gone, but he needs to get some more "hands on" and from his enthusiasm at finding this tree being cut down, I believe he is ready to butcher some wood.

We'll see. Wish us luck!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:40:59 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4686 on: June 10, 2022, 08:40:12 PM »
I wish you both luck! :)

I've never used a chainsaw. Wouldn't mind giving it a go though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4687 on: June 11, 2022, 04:40:08 AM »
Thanks, Renaeden.
My son cut three cylinders to drill out for our use. It took over an hour, but he is defeating fears as we go. When he was little he had a devastating fear of any kind of machinery. He would not even touch and just getting him to look at them and eventually touch them when they were silent was a victory!
Now how can use a power drill/screwdriver, mower, weed whacker, leaf blower, electric stapler, blender, microwave and we made a big jump to the chainsaw yesterday.

This has taken three years to get to this point. Ten years ago he was barely able to even look in the direction of where and what I was using my chainsaw for.
Yesterday, he used it for over and an hour on his own. I was right there, but he did the work.
I held my man tears back until we were getting rained on and got things put away. Later in bed, I was so proud, I just let out a slew.
This is huge win for him.

... and for me!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4688 on: June 11, 2022, 04:57:54 AM »
I'm heading over to the farmer's market in a little while, early to avoid the crowds.

Grabbing some more strwaberries for sure, but fresh green beans would be great. The spinach, Romaine lettuce and mustard greens should be available also.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4689 on: June 11, 2022, 06:08:13 AM »
Kind of a bust on the greens, but found a mess of green beans to go with the ribs I plan for the afternoon.

I got plenty of strawberries to make muffins.

BTW, those pies (almost gone, now) came out great!  I used tapioca instead of pectin or gelatin for a thickener. I've used all three, but I think pectin is my favorite for most fruit pies.

My muffins will have a yeast based dough, like a dinner roll. I use a bread machine for all the kneading and rising.
Finely chopped strawberries go in at the last kneading stage, which on my machne I can set to just knead or repeat if you forget. Adding the syrup from fermenting gives a nice pink color to the dough.

Then, roll it out lightly, cut into small squares to squish into your tins and into the oven. I like to pre-heat my tins to boost the crust a bit. Some don't like crust, but that could mean more for me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:58:41 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4690 on: June 11, 2022, 09:06:32 AM »
Slow smoking pork ribs with oak for smoke.
About three more hours to go.

While I was splitting some old wood for the grille a random person I have not met drove by with a John Deere thingy set up to fertilize. I asked my other neighbor, who was out tending her potted plants, if this was a regular thing or part of the golf course care, maybe part of HOA stuff.
She told me that this guy lives a few houses down and does this a few times every year. He likes to see healthy grass and takes care to fertilize all who are within his view.
Wow.
Ok, then.

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4691 on: June 11, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »
I'm hiding in the basement...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4692 on: June 11, 2022, 05:09:35 PM »
What the fuck?
Over?

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4693 on: June 11, 2022, 07:30:13 PM »
What the fuck?
Over?

One of my birds in my flock is having mood swings... and the mood swings have to do with the nest she keeps protecting (she already mated with the male in the cage, that's why she's laying on the nest)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4694 on: June 12, 2022, 04:46:33 AM »
Killing time in a Lufthansa lounge at Frankfurt Airport. FRA is one of my least favourite airports in the world.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein