Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201389 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #5160 on: May 04, 2013, 07:59:23 PM »
 I am obviously thinking weird news stories

Call it the Treaty of Everest 2013.

It's a two-paragraph agreement, in both English and Nepalese, signed by climbers and Sherpas who on Saturday engaged in a donnybrook at 23,000 feet.

Punches, kicks and even rocks were thrown, according to a statement posted Sunday on the website of one of the climbers, Simone Moro.

The Sherpas, locals who guide expeditions up the world's highest mountain, apparently became angered when the climbers from Italy, Switzerland and the United Kingdom did not listen to instructions from the Sherpas, moved above them on the peak and dislodged ice that fell in the direction of the Sherpas.

At one point "the climbers ... were told that if they weren't gone in one hour that they would all be killed," the statement said.

But by Tuesday, both sides agreed to climb nice and put it in writing.

"Both parties have realized their errors and apologized to each other in front of those present," says handwritten note obtained by CNN from the Nepal Mountaineering Association. "Both parties agreed to help each other in the future to make successful each others goals."

The agreement bears at least 28 signatures, though some appear to have been repeated. No matter the exact number, their resolve against conflict seems certain.

"All those present agreed and committed that such activities by anyone in the mountaineering and in the tourism sector," it says.

So maybe that will end what one post on Adventure Journal's website described as "an inauspicious start to the spring climbing season on Mt. Everest."

In another post, a guide said mistakes were probably made on both sides.

"Everest is a mountain where people pour an incredible amount of passion and money into their efforts. This is true for professional and recreational climbers, and for Sherpa who earn most or all of their family's annual income in these two months on the mountain," guide Adrian Ballinger wrote.

"The constant pressure to break records, attempt new routes, and be the strongest, whether for personal pride, sponsors, future job offers, or media, can cloud the purity of our climbing here. And these pressures can lead to disagreements, arguments, and hurt feelings. But none of these pressures should be allowed to lead to violence, or to breaking the essential bonds that tie climbers to each other," Ballinger added.

But one of the climbers involved in the incident who signed the agreement told Britain's Telegraph newspaper that money has changed the Everest experience and spawned resentment among Sherpas.

"They're angry at this financial gap on their mountain," Jonathan Griffith said of the Sherpas. "These commercial trips are based on a lot of luxury and getting you up the mountain and a lot of these Western clients don't even know what the names of their Sherpas are."

And that, he says, makes him wonder if he'll try Everest again, the Telegraph reported.

"I didn't think the main danger would be a mob of Sherpas throwing rocks," Griffith is quoted as saying.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/world/asia/nepal-everest-fight

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5161 on: May 04, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
THe allergies, medicine and sick family have my head spinning.  The PR is finishing up, I have another 9 - 10 days and PA is jsut starting.  Dang, it's going to be catch as catch can for a while.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5162 on: May 04, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »
"I didn't think the main danger would be a mob of Sherpas throwing rocks," Griffith is quoted as saying.

I saw that. I thought it was fucking ridiculous. You don't mess with your guides, and you don't be idiots and put them in danger because you're trying to race ahead.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5163 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »

I saw that. I thought it was fucking ridiculous. You don't mess with your guides, and you don't be idiots and put them in danger because you're trying to race ahead.

Yet another reason I'm glad I have no climbing ambitions.  Too many stupid people up there!  :facepalm2:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5164 on: May 05, 2013, 03:50:22 AM »
Thinking I wouldn't dream of climbing a mountain.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5165 on: May 05, 2013, 03:51:52 AM »
This man has a problem:
 :dunno:
Newtown Police Find 300 Gallons of Urine in Home

Police are trying to figure out exactly how to handle one man’s truly wasteful collection after 300 gallons of bottled urine were discovered inside a residential home.

According to the News-Times, Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP) spokesman Dennis Schain said authorities found “200 to 300 one-gallon plastic jugs filled with human urine" during a search of the man’s home in Watertown, Connecticut.

Police have declined to publicly release the man’s name, as he has not yet been formally charged with a crime.

"An environmental contractor ... was brought into help deal with this under our supervision," Schain told the paper, saying DEEP authorities were called in to assess what he described as a home "in a state of disrepair."

Despite the disturbing and unusual nature of the urine collection, Schain said it’s unlikely authorities will actually charge the man with a crime. He’s not the first person to store his own urine, with these cases often tied to mental illness. For example, Howard Hughes famously stored his own urine after retreating to Las Vegas. The actor James Franco even admitted to bottling his own urine, though that was part of a youthful prank.

In the meantime, the urine is schedule to be taken to a waste treatment plant for proper disposal.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/300-gallons-urine-found-inside-man-home-224127138.html

:apondering:

Proper disposal, wouldn't that be emptying the bottles in the toilet, all of them, and then one flush?
Close bottles, they belong with the trash.

Maybe I see it too simple. But, would not know why this can't be.

Having a dozen of people in white hazard suits with gas-masks deal with it is more dramatic and costly, of course.  :chores: :chores: :chores:

Not knowing why the name of the man needs to be released either. If he had a lid on his bottles, it was all safe enough.

(Not that I would be happy with a neighbour who had a room filled with stocked urine, but, who knows what other stuff my neighbours have.)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #5166 on: May 05, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
Was thinking of putting my tomato plants in the earth (garden) today.. but but.. rule of thumb here (guideline for Holland), is: best to wait till after the Ice Saints (May 11-15) to put plants, vulnerable for frost like tomato plants are, into the soil. Chances they get screwed by said frost are slim that way.

So.. I'll have to wait till after next weekend.. I suppose.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5167 on: May 05, 2013, 07:51:15 AM »
This man has a problem:
 :dunno:
Newtown Police Find 300 Gallons of Urine in Home

Police are trying to figure out exactly how to handle one man’s truly wasteful collection after 300 gallons of bottled urine were discovered inside a residential home.

According to the News-Times, Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP) spokesman Dennis Schain said authorities found “200 to 300 one-gallon plastic jugs filled with human urine" during a search of the man’s home in Watertown, Connecticut.

Police have declined to publicly release the man’s name, as he has not yet been formally charged with a crime.

"An environmental contractor ... was brought into help deal with this under our supervision," Schain told the paper, saying DEEP authorities were called in to assess what he described as a home "in a state of disrepair."

Despite the disturbing and unusual nature of the urine collection, Schain said it’s unlikely authorities will actually charge the man with a crime. He’s not the first person to store his own urine, with these cases often tied to mental illness. For example, Howard Hughes famously stored his own urine after retreating to Las Vegas. The actor James Franco even admitted to bottling his own urine, though that was part of a youthful prank.

In the meantime, the urine is schedule to be taken to a waste treatment plant for proper disposal.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/300-gallons-urine-found-inside-man-home-224127138.html

I wonder which show is going to grab him first..."Hoarders" or "My Strange Addiction"?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5168 on: May 05, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
  I'm thinking how strange it is that I dreamed last night that I was about to go to confession!   :pope:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5169 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
  I'm a grownup and I live by myself and I can do whatever I want!   :fuckyeahdance:   OH  HELL  YEAH !

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5170 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
  I'm a grownup and I live by myself and I can do whatever I want!   :fuckyeahdance:   OH  HELL  YEAH !

Lady Weeble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5171 on: May 05, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

Lady Weeble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*wobbles in, all flustered* :cbc: :tea:    Here's your tea, Your Majesty!

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5172 on: May 05, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

Lady Weeble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*wobbles in, all flustered* :cbc: :tea:    Here's your tea, Your Majesty!

Thank you.  That is how it should be.  A place for everyone and everyone in his place.  Warm pig! (AIW, not the member here)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5173 on: May 05, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
When they published The Joy of Sex they originally used photos to illustrate the book when editing it. They actually intended to use drawings, and thought the photos would make the drawings more acceptable.  I wonder what happened to those photos?

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #5174 on: May 05, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
penis
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.