Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201380 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #4590 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
Mum's macular degeneration has partially reversed itself over the past year.  The optician told her to take red fruit (she's been taking frozen forest fruits each day; a mixture of blackcurrants, cherries, brambles and stuff) and a (not very cheap) antioxidant supplement meant for the purpose, and it seems to have worked.  The optician said that they're now discovering that macular degeneration isn't as irreversible as they once thought.  My uncle has it too, and I think he's managed to halt the deterioration, although he wasn't going to the optician for annual checkups, so the macular degeneration wasn't caught until it was more advanced than in my mum's case, and he has some permanent loss of vision in one eye now.

Great news Peter.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4591 on: December 07, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »
I really really really need to go to bed.
Just two more pages of lolcats.

You know me so well... except you don't. Or maybe you do.

I'm of several minds, always. I know what waking does to me, I know what happens after a week of sleep deprivation, at least for me, and yet there's no stopping me, no natural instinct that says "FFS". Yet it's not natural to me, not something that must be. It's always something in the way of something else.

And why am I replying in the first place? Because I'm there again.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4592 on: December 07, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
Mum's macular degeneration has partially reversed itself over the past year.  The optician told her to take red fruit (she's been taking frozen forest fruits each day; a mixture of blackcurrants, cherries, brambles and stuff) and a (not very cheap) antioxidant supplement meant for the purpose, and it seems to have worked.  The optician said that they're now discovering that macular degeneration isn't as irreversible as they once thought.  My uncle has it too, and I think he's managed to halt the deterioration, although he wasn't going to the optician for annual checkups, so the macular degeneration wasn't caught until it was more advanced than in my mum's case, and he has some permanent loss of vision in one eye now.

That is good news. It's my worst fear, to have macular degeneration.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4593 on: December 08, 2012, 07:11:33 AM »

Yay for red fruit, who knew it could help so much!  Happy for your mum.  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4594 on: December 08, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »
My worst fear is early-onset Alzheimer's. I was reading about it very recently. Just imagine if one is unlucky enough to have the allele for it, nothing he can do in life to prevent it from ever happening. No amount of physical or mental exercise would reduce its likelihood of happening later in life.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #4595 on: December 08, 2012, 08:16:45 AM »
My worst fear is early-onset Alzheimer's. I was reading about it very recently. Just imagine if one is unlucky enough to have the allele for it, nothing he can do in life to prevent it from ever happening. No amount of physical or mental exercise would reduce its likelihood of happening later in life.

Bowel cancer is the big one in my family. Wiped out most of the older folk and some not so old
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4596 on: December 08, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »
If there are any signs of relief, it's that genetic research progress is advancing at a good rate that some of these genetic disorders and defects might end up being resolved soon (as in a decade or two). I hope so at least.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #4597 on: December 08, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
If there are any signs of relief, it's that genetic research progress is advancing at a good rate that some of these genetic disorders and defects might end up being resolved soon (as in a decade or two). I hope so at least.

I sure would hate the final years of my existence to be excruicating pain and debilitation and sickness as my body is eaten away from the inside.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4598 on: December 08, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Cheery thread, this. :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4599 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »
We can't always be happy. :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4600 on: December 09, 2012, 02:20:55 AM »
But when? When can we?

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #4601 on: December 09, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
What the fuck should I do with my stash of chestnuts, is what I'm thinking about for basically weeks now. A purée? Boring. Something with game, maybe?
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4602 on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »
Back to the lighter stuff.....I hope my nanaimo bars turn out today. Using my Grandmother's recipe. making these today but in mini muffin tins since we're making them for the little one's class.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4603 on: December 09, 2012, 10:41:30 AM »
Oh! Nanaimo bars! I haven't made those in ages, and now I really want to.

*drool*
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4604 on: December 09, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
Oh! Nanaimo bars! I haven't made those in ages, and now I really want to.

*drool*
They're my absolute favourite treat. Any time life sucked, my Gram would make them for me. Will be interesting to see how they turn out in the muffin tins. Current chilling in my fridge. :)
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty