Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201388 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #14490 on: April 12, 2023, 03:34:55 PM »
American Politics is so divisive -__- seriously STFU about your excuses in regard to "2a rights"

:roar: GIVE ME PIE!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #14491 on: April 12, 2023, 05:27:34 PM »
After some discussion with Carla about finances and the stress (lately) about air travel, we have decided to NOT go to Florida for our annual trip.  Last year we got caught in a flight delay that nearly gave us heart attacks and we need to curb some spending in certain areas.  Looks like more road trips for vacations in the future.  Airlines are becoming less trustworthy and such.  It's hard to relax on vacation when the trip to and from on a plane causes sleepless nights.   >:(
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14492 on: April 12, 2023, 10:15:06 PM »
Thinking I've been thinking of getting a mugo pine for the front yard.

Had one, dwarf shrub size 10+ years old...it got infested with sawflies. They love white or mugo pines. Disgusting AF.  :zombiefuck:

They're pretty...but that stopped me from planting another.

Sawflies attack and infest every type of evergreen known around the world. They can become a problem.
However, the main deterrent is a population of birds feeding upon the larvae.
I had two five foot tall and five foot wide mugo pines in my old house and rarely ever see a sawfly larva.
Not really a problem here.

We have lots of birds here in Indiana and I attract even more to my yard by keeping other cover plants for the birds to find safety when foraging insects.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #14493 on: April 13, 2023, 10:09:32 AM »
Mugo pines are fairly common here in yards and evergreens are everywhere. So are magpies. We do get sawflies according to the internet, but I think a mugo pine wouldn't be unique enough here to be likely to cause a new problem.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #14494 on: April 13, 2023, 12:56:02 PM »
How can I stop overthinking about overthinking?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14495 on: April 13, 2023, 02:40:00 PM »
The Hays Salary Guide says I should be getting around 82-87k (exclusive of super). Which is like in an ideal world money.
Is that guide even reliable though.. Maybe it's as reliable as Redbook is for used car values :P
Should I start waving it around in interviews and see what happens?

Sorry, haven't logged in the last few days.

Firstly, Hays are well known, they've been around. They'll probably know what they're on about but it is in their interest to get more from employers because they get a fee based on that.

I think if that's the number, then go for the upper limit if one was mentioned. The 5k difference there is a lot less than the 10-15%, so I'd ask for 90. Maybe a bit more in this day and age - prices are going up, not down.

But don't quote specific sites, just say you've "researched" it. Have them do their homework. If they have already, then you'll get an answer sooner.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14496 on: April 13, 2023, 02:51:57 PM »
We interviewed a project manager candidate whom we later rejected, not because he was bad but because others were better and we only had two positions to fill. He got a nice email from the office coordinator stating more or less that.

Interestingly, he replied back, offering us a deal. He'd work for free for 4-6 months to prove himself, and if we then thought he was good we'd hire him.

I don't like the idea but I like his attitude. The idea is bad because the work is not all that easy, it can be quite stressful depending on the project, and it's only fair to pay people well for what they do. The attitude is good, though, because it's a great "what if", and a terrific sales strategy because I am very unlikely to forget about him, and I will be tempted.

There's no decision yet, but I think his chances went up. I told the management that we should consider bringing him in but see if we can fill three positions.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #14497 on: April 18, 2023, 05:26:53 AM »
If I connect something like this to the headphone socket of an old cassette player, and plug the other end into the audio/microphone (Mine is 2 in 1) socket in my laptop, will the audio transfer using proper software? Or can't it work? I'm guessing the way a microphone works is different to just audio in. My laptop hardly has any hardware ports of any kind, like a lot of laptops these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo3MDcxMDkxNjY0MTE4MjM5OjE2ODE4MTY4OTc6c3BfZGV0YWlsOjIwMTExODE1NjgwODk4Ojo6Og&url=%2Fdp%2FB01I0SI1SG%2Fref%3Dsspa_dk_detail_1%3Fpsc%3D1%26pd_rd_i%3DB01I0SI1SG%26pd_rd_w%3Dw4rK0%26content-id%3Damzn1.sym.15c0cc83-c6c5-4d44-aa3d-0de17a9f3682%26pf_rd_p%3D15c0cc83-c6c5-4d44-aa3d-0de17a9f3682%26pf_rd_r%3DD3E69P73VV6893FJNE57%26pd_rd_wg%3DzZoEr%26pd_rd_r%3Da83954bc-cf49-4e46-85d8-c3a415e8fc53%26s%3Delectronics%26sp_csd%3Dd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw%26smid%3DA1ZHJPE51NHH2L
:dog:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14498 on: April 18, 2023, 11:05:49 AM »
If I connect something like this to the headphone socket of an old cassette player, and plug the other end into the audio/microphone (Mine is 2 in 1) socket in my laptop, will the audio transfer using proper software? Or can't it work? I'm guessing the way a microphone works is different to just audio in. My laptop hardly has any hardware ports of any kind, like a lot of laptops these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo3MDcxMDkxNjY0MTE4MjM5OjE2ODE4MTY4OTc6c3BfZGV0YWlsOjIwMTExODE1NjgwODk4Ojo6Og&url=%2Fdp%2FB01I0SI1SG%2Fref%3Dsspa_dk_detail_1%3Fpsc%3D1%26pd_rd_i%3DB01I0SI1SG%26pd_rd_w%3Dw4rK0%26content-id%3Damzn1.sym.15c0cc83-c6c5-4d44-aa3d-0de17a9f3682%26pf_rd_p%3D15c0cc83-c6c5-4d44-aa3d-0de17a9f3682%26pf_rd_r%3DD3E69P73VV6893FJNE57%26pd_rd_wg%3DzZoEr%26pd_rd_r%3Da83954bc-cf49-4e46-85d8-c3a415e8fc53%26s%3Delectronics%26sp_csd%3Dd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw%26smid%3DA1ZHJPE51NHH2L

Are you running Windows (Ver?)?
It used to, back in the WinXP days, but I have not used Windows audio software in about twenty years. WMC used to recognize this and ask if you wanted to open a new audio file and begin recording.

You will need a "Record" function available from somewhere. You are asking your machine to "READ" from an analog source and convert it to a digital output.
Not sure if that is still a part of Windows. Older "Windows Media Center" had that available.

I think for best results, you will need a third party software application or you might need to upgrade your Windows Media install.

I have used Audacity (freeware) for many years for simple things like this.

I do almost the same thing using the output from my phono preamp straight into my sound card L&R inputs, completely different cabling, but the same exact process. I have to open a NEW FILE and tell Audacity where to find my connections, name the file and in seconds I am recording an analog LP into a FLAC digital or you can choose among many file types to create the type of file you need.

Here is a link to the software I use. Don't be put off by how damn much it CAN DO. It is very simple to operate if you just want to capture from one device to another, normally.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

BTW, I just opened my Windows Media Player preinstalled on my Windows 10 computer (probably for the first time) and there is no record function that I can find. Sorry.
You might need some third party software from somehwere if Windows Update does not offer an advanced media plugin for this use.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 11:39:22 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #14499 on: April 19, 2023, 09:15:42 PM »
Alternate communication is so weird

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14500 on: April 19, 2023, 10:18:29 PM »
Ok, I'll write renovations details here:

Laundry sink replacement, bathroom vanity replacement and kitchen cupboards replacement all next Thursday, 27-4-23.

Tiling splashbacks all next Friday, 28-4-23.

Internal painting Tuesday, 6-06-23. May take 3 days to complete.

Vinyl tile flooring Thursday, 8-06-23. May take 3 days to complete.

I'm not looking forward to June.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:28:43 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #14501 on: April 19, 2023, 10:26:19 PM »
I got debts to pay... so far the amount is at least $1,000 USD

Next payday(s) and SSI money I am setting aside at least $200.00 for the first month

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14502 on: April 20, 2023, 06:32:05 AM »

Laundry sink replacement, bathroom vanity replacement and kitchen cupboards replacement all next Thursday, 27-4-23.

Holy crap! What a nighmare. Paint and vinyl flooring mastics are horrible to smell. June will be ugly.
It will be awesome once it's all finished, though.
 :thumbup:

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14503 on: April 20, 2023, 08:39:54 AM »
I love the smell of new floors and new paint.

People ask online how to make the new carpet smell go away. I ask how to preserve it :laugh:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #14504 on: April 20, 2023, 05:50:56 PM »

It's a shame there's such a big gap. That's a long time to basically be packed for a move.  :dunno: Still, YAY NEW STUFF!! :GA:
:gopher: