Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201386 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12900 on: May 25, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »
^It's such a bloody mess. The poor guy is just trying to do as he's supposed to so he can keep his damn business. That's awful. Although the Scott vs Mick part made me giggle.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12901 on: May 25, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
That's ridiculous. I hope it can be resolved by something like submitting a photocopy of his drivers license.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12902 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »
^It's such a bloody mess. The poor guy is just trying to do as he's supposed to so he can keep his damn business. That's awful. Although the Scott vs Mick part made me giggle.

A mess indeed.

As far as laughing about his heritage, I have both Scotch and Irish blood in me. One side of grandmother is Moran and the other is Scot. Notice one "T" and just imagine how fucking high a person's nose would have to be hefted in order to make sure that everyone knew that your name was spelled with  One "T." 

My grandmother would laugh at such a notion, but then I would add that she just did what she was making fun of, by telling me all about it all.
 :apondering:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12903 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:56 PM »
That's ridiculous. I hope it can be resolved by something like submitting a photocopy of his drivers license.
Indeed. Just a typo.
I told him to get a notarized copy of his birth certificate, copy of recent utility bill, copy of any business miscellany with his name spelled properly and try again.
 :dunno:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12904 on: May 25, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »
Tough luck on your friend, but i can see why they would take it for a typo. I was curious about that name , because I've  never heard of an Irish surname beginning "Mick ". And so i googled the name, exactly as spelled by yourself, and best i could find  was a handful of instances of it being used as a forename. All apparent instances of Mickinsy as a surname turned out (upon clicking the link) to actually  be mis-spellings of McKenzy (for the first few pages , at least, at which point i got thoroughly bored).   Also checked  McKenzy (and variants)and found that it was  invariably spelled Mac or Mc  in Ireland , same as  in Scotland.  Also stumbled across the info. that this surname origininated exclusively in Scotland.  Ofc, that's by no means true of all Gaelic names beginning Mac, but it's true of this one. So if it really is a variant of McKenzy, then  your mate really does have Scottish ancestry if you go back far enough. The name is common enough in Ireland, but all Irish McKenzy families came rom Scotland originally. ( Also wondered, btw,  if it might possibly be a new variant on McInnes/McGuinness? )

I'm now wondering if you mis-spelled your mate's name on this board?  I'm also  (more to the point) wondering if  there's a  typo or mis-spelling in pre-existing official records for this guy, with the result that they're just not finding an expected  match? Might be worth checking.  According to (American) statistics that I found, that name  (as you wrote it)  is somewhere between extremely rare and unknown (less than 5 instances  out of > 6,000, 000  records )

Anyway, my understanding is that Irish are called "Micks" because Michael is a really common Irish forename , though we more often  call them "Paddies" here in the UK  (cos Patrick /Padraic is an even more common Irish  forename)  I checked this on Urban Dictionary, and it had , in its most popular definition :  "Some beliefs are that "mick" comes from the common "Mc" in many Irish names". But this was from an American perspective.  Nobody in Britain  would pronounce "Mc 'as "mick" ; We invariably shorten all such  Gaelic names to "Mack". Intersting to think that Americanisation might be producing  a whole new variant.  "Mick..."is certainly not the  Irish spelling of any such  name, but might possibly be an emerging  Irish- American spelling?

:apondering: Yeah, i got over-involved in researching this one,  spazz that i am  :laugh:

Good luck to your friend.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:50:36 PM by Walkie »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12905 on: May 26, 2020, 06:37:15 AM »
...  but might possibly be an emerging  Irish- American spelling?

:apondering: Yeah, i got over-involved in researching this one,  spazz that i am  :laugh:

Good luck to your friend.

At the time when Irish emigration was reaching a peak, not all the folk exiting boats had documentation and that type of documentation had to be created on the spot.
The ones who sat for hours and years doing that grueling work were not always the most highly educated. Often when trying to establish identity of undocumented people there was a language barrier in addition to a culture barrier. Phonetic spellings of the names of people who could not even read in many cases often lead to spelling errors.

I was trying to be funny and play on the notion that if you want to behave like a mick, someone is going to call you on it.
Obviously my sense of humor does not cross paths often with your sense of humour.
 :autism:

Serious situation, but I am both concerned and trying to be a little light as well.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:41:03 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12906 on: May 26, 2020, 07:12:05 AM »
Today at work we were discussing how being a sex pest is a prerequisite for promotion to firm partner :sex?:

I better tell that coworker of mine the secret to getting ahead as he seems keen to impress  :autism: (just as long as he doesn't sex pester me)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12907 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »
Still pondering Amber's out of the blue question from last night.  Basically, she asked me what we would do if she was gay.  I mean really out of nowhere.  I just told her, we would do nothing different if that was who she was.  Carla was home and said the same thing.  We're more about the character of the person, not the orientation.  I guess maybe she has seen a lot of internet items about teens and young adults coming out to their parents and being kicked out of the house because they were gay.  Oh well, 28 years old and she still surprises us.   :apondering:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12908 on: May 26, 2020, 02:01:02 PM »
I'm glad you and Carla handled it well and said what you did, even though that doesn't surprise me.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12909 on: May 26, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »
I'm glad you and Carla handled it well and said what you did, even though that doesn't surprise me.

Thanks.  It's how we operate as a family unit.  I just vowed that I would never put her through the crap my family put me through.  And Carla has been onboard with everything. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #12910 on: May 26, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »
I won't add much as this isn't the elders forum but I wouldn't have expected less from you. You're good people.
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12911 on: May 26, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
I really need to let those negative feelings go... the feelings that often say

You sir, are stupid
You, sir, are pathetic you're weak,
No girl will want to date you!

From there on, I say to these feelings:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12912 on: May 28, 2020, 12:09:14 AM »
I hate mornings.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12913 on: May 28, 2020, 05:41:03 AM »
lol. I was just sitting here thinking how much I love quiet mornings.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12914 on: May 28, 2020, 10:28:49 AM »
I used to hate them, but now that I've been forced onto an earlier sleep schedule and I even wake up early sometimes feeling ok, I've developed a real appreciation of early morning cool spring air and dew.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.