Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201388 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12690 on: April 12, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
Sorry DD :(

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12691 on: April 12, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
The PR and I took a drive late this afternoon.  We drove in the French Quarter.  It was fairly deserted. a few cars, some people walking.  I reaized that I was seeing history. For the first time in my life there were no bars open on Bourbon Street.   I knew they'd been closed, but to see it was sobering (pardon the pun).  I was able to drive slowly enough to find Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12692 on: April 13, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »
The PR and I took a drive late this afternoon.  We drove in the French Quarter.  It was fairly deserted. a few cars, some people walking.  I reaized that I was seeing history. For the first time in my life there were no bars open on Bourbon Street.   I knew they'd been closed, but to see it was sobering (pardon the pun).  I was able to drive slowly enough to find Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop.
What is this place about? Why were you looking for it? Good to see you again, btw. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12693 on: April 13, 2020, 01:50:36 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12694 on: April 13, 2020, 01:51:39 AM »

Someone at the grocery store where my son works tested positive for Covid19, yesterday.  :bigcry:

The company is setting up a drive through testing station in the parking lot for all the employees.

Walls are closing in.
 :hide:

Fingers crossed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12695 on: April 13, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »
It's like seeing the footage of Times Square in NY and desolate it is. It's sad.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12696 on: April 14, 2020, 01:17:12 AM »
Maybe I should take a shower now.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12697 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:57 AM »
For the first time in my life there were no bars open on Bourbon Street.   I knew they'd been closed, but to see it was sobering (pardon the pun).
Nope. Not gonna pardon that pun. I love it  :lol1:
Thanks for the needful trench humour, QV.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12698 on: April 14, 2020, 07:43:05 AM »

Someone at the grocery store where my son works tested positive for Covid19, yesterday.  :bigcry:

The company is setting up a drive through testing station in the parking lot for all the employees.

Walls are closing in.
 :hide:

Fingers crossed.

Yeah. Thanks, everyone.

The test will take a few more days. They are ramping up the degree or intensity of the testing protocol used here. Not only do they give you a nasal swab for quick detection of an active infection, they pull a tiny vial of blood to look for a specific anti-body, evident after you have been exposed. All that on top of being interviewed for a half hour to attempt to track your recent comings and goings by other attendants while waiting in line in your car.
:yikes:

They only have so many of these mobile "converted blood donation station buses" to pull from and everybody wants one today.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12699 on: April 14, 2020, 07:50:45 AM »
On a more pleasant note:

A "local" farmer has a huge long field of wrapped hay bales in his land. To be artsy, he gathered them all along his fence line about a quarter mile apart and placed signs on them like the old Route 66 Burma shave hi-way ads.
His hay bales read as you drive by, "If it weren't for farmers, you would be hungry, naked and sober."

I would love to post a pic, but it would have to be a video. It's just too spread out.  Still, a fun thing to see. Sobering message.
Very coooool!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12700 on: April 14, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
What is this place about? Why were you looking for it? Good to see you again, btw. :)

It's one of the earliest buildings in the Quarter.  Dates from the Spanish rule in between 1720 - 1730.  It was either owned by Jean Lafitte, the privateer, rapscallion and one of the heroes of the Battle of New Orleans - 1814), or his brother who was a blacksmith.  There's an open area beside the main building with a building in the back that could have been a smithy.  Yep, I was looking for it, but always forgot to look up the address when we drive through the French Quarter on holidays.  It is also (supposedly) one of the first gay bars in the US.  There's a fashion extravaganza contest on the corner on Mardi Gras.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12701 on: April 14, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »

It's one of the earliest buildings in the Quarter.  Dates from the Spanish rule in between 1720 - 1730.  It was either owned by Jean Lafitte, the privateer, rapscallion and one of the heroes of the Battle of New Orleans - 1814), or his brother who was a blacksmith.  There's an open area beside the main building with a building in the back that could have been a smithy.  Yep, I was looking for it, but always forgot to look up the address when we drive through the French Quarter on holidays.  It is also (supposedly) one of the first gay bars in the US.  There's a fashion extravaganza contest on the corner on Mardi Gras.
That's some pretty cool history
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12702 on: April 15, 2020, 12:26:46 AM »
Just read the news and now wondering about who the orange moron is trying to fool.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12703 on: April 15, 2020, 06:37:21 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12704 on: April 15, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »

That's some pretty cool history

I'm not good at posting pictures, but their website has some pictures (of course).  It reminds me of the building style of medieval times.  And the interior seems to be as dark as any medieval pub.