Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201392 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12600 on: March 29, 2020, 06:08:24 AM »
Thank the stars that they're giving me priority access to ocado's . this means that i don't have to  wait in a queue for four hours to find out that i still can't book a new delivery slot. I can find that out almost immediately.

It's getting pretty tedious , mind.
Here, some grocers are giving people 60+ priority shopping time the first 1-1.5 hours the stores are open. They all should do that.
They do that here too. Just for in store. If you tried to do it for online orders, the system would get too backed up since everyone is encouraged to shop that way if possible
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12601 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:14 AM »
Thank the stars that they're giving me priority access to ocado's . this means that i don't have to  wait in a queue for four hours to find out that i still can't book a new delivery slot. I can find that out almost immediately.

It's getting pretty tedious , mind.
Here, some grocers are giving people 60+ priority shopping time the first 1-1.5 hours the stores are open. They all should do that.
They do that here too. Just for in store. If you tried to do it for online orders, the system would get too backed up since everyone is encouraged to shop that way if possible
The in-store shopping is a good idea because they're exposure is lessened. Not sure how it would back up the system, though trying to prioritize online orders does carry a lot of questions. There's not actually any shortages of food; it's only a problem with distribution channels keeping up with demand. Though the way people are over-shopping, it's very insensitive to elderly and disabled living on social security, and people like single parents and families who receive wic and food stamp benefits. It might be helpful to prioritize people like that the first few days of the month when benefits are distributed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:33:47 AM by Jack »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12602 on: March 29, 2020, 06:53:55 AM »
It's a toughie, that's for sure. especially here in the Uk, where benefits are NOT distributed at the start of the calender  month, but rather  at four-weekly intervals; and exactly when is individually determined so far as i know.
I don't think that priority for folk on benefits as such exists. It's just priority for "vulnerable"" people. There's a big overlap between those two groups ofc, but also a lot of folk whose dependancy on benefits is not linked with any particular vulnerabilty, eg low-paid workers claiming  top-up benefits. But I don't think any of those people will find themselves able to wait for a food delivery, They're generally living hand-to-mouth and will  need to get straight out to the shops as soon as the money rolls into the bank.

During the past few weeks, i've seen things move from a position where next daydeliveries were commomly available, to fully booked up for the next three weeks. Ocado have got the wait-time down to one week, mostly (so far as I can see)  by means of cancelling all orders that fall ouside that timespan (including two of mine) and making people hover over their computers on the off-chance that a new slot has now  been freed up , together with  the smaller off-chance that they're amongst the lucky few who spotted it first.

That said, hats off to Ocado. They've done a remarkable job of coping with ten times as many customers as usual, far as I can see . I just much preferred having to  book my deliveries two to three weeks in advance to their present ploy, which introduces way too much uncertainty.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:01:43 AM by Walkie »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12603 on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:45 AM »
BTW, in case people think i'm being a bit greedy, having an order every week, i maybe should point out that i 'm eating more and more fresh produce (given that I can't eat frozen veg- they spray it with corn-based citric acid. much the same applies to tinned goods, ofc, but at least they list the citic acid etc on the can, so you don't need quite such encyclopaedic knowlege of manufacturing processes there ) and no way can you order all your lettuce for a month at one go  :zombiefuck:
Also, given my increasingly drastic dietary limitations, I generally  have to return substitutions. I mean, if it isn't the exact item specified, i probably can't eat it, but can't expect the store to understand and take account of that.  It would be really hard to have to wait a whole month to try again to get something that's  effectively 'basic"' to my diet. So, even at the best of times.  I tend to plan my grocery ordering much like a military campaign  :LOL:
A;so, recent problem arising is that you're often limited to no more than  three of many such itms. Couldn't possibly make three litres of additive-free organic Almond milk last me a month. That's now a basic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:18:56 AM by Walkie »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12604 on: March 29, 2020, 07:33:42 AM »
BTW, in case people think i'm being a bit greedy, having an order every week, i maybe should point out that i 'm eating more and more fresh produce (given that I can't eat frozen veg- they spray it with corn-based citric acid. much the same applies to tinned goods, ofc, but at least they list the citic acid etc on the can, so you don't need quite such encyclopaedic knowlege of manufacturing processes there ) and no way can you order all your lettuce for a month at one go  :zombiefuck:
Also, given my increasingly drastic dietary limitations, I generally  have to return substitutions. I mean, if it isn't the exact item specified, i probably can't eat it, but can't expect the store to understand and take account of that.  It would be really hard to have to wait a whole month to try again to get something that's  effectively 'basic"' to my diet. So, even at the best of times.  I tend to plan my grocery ordering much like a military campaign  :LOL:
A;so, recent problem arising is that you're often limited to no more than  three of many such itms. Couldn't possibly make three litres of additive-free organic Almond milk last me a month. That's now a basic.

I doubt anyone thinks you're being greedy, but I can understand that concern. I haven't really bought any more food than usual, but I don't feel like I need to because we always keep a lot of food in the house anyway. What has changed about my shopping is the frequency. I used to only grocery shop twice per month. Since this all started I shop more often, because I don't want to look like a big greedy gut loading up a full cart.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12605 on: March 29, 2020, 09:23:42 AM »
I've only ever shopped for 1 week at a time and we don't keep a big amount in stock in the house.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12606 on: March 29, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »
My desire to be well informed is clashing with my need to stay sane!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12607 on: March 29, 2020, 10:10:35 AM »
I've only ever shopped for 1 week at a time and we don't keep a big amount in stock in the house.
When I was a kid we were once trapped for almost three weeks by a freak ice storm. That's also when mom quit smoking. Fun times.  :lol1: When Sugarbutt and I lived in there woods, I don't think there was a single winter we weren't snowed in for a couple of weeks. Here, it's common and even expected for people to empty out the stores and gas stations from a sense of impending doom. Maybe I just always have a sense of impending doom.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:23:07 AM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12608 on: March 29, 2020, 10:29:25 AM »

I doubt anyone thinks you're being greedy, but I can understand that concern. I haven't really bought any more food than usual, but I don't feel like I need to because we always keep a lot of food in the house anyway. What has changed about my shopping is the frequency. I used to only grocery shop twice per month. Since this all started I shop more often, because I don't want to look like a big greedy gut loading up a full cart.  :dunno:

Yeah, I had it down to once a month with a couple of milk runs here and there. SO has been doing the shopping now because he doesn't want me going out. ::)

His idea of grocery shopping is 2 bags of jelly beans a 2 lb bag of swedish fish, cookies, and pies. At this rate if the coronavirus doesn't get me, diabetes will. :laugh: I told him I'm going to start ordering online.   

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12609 on: March 29, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »

Yeah, I had it down to once a month with a couple of milk runs here and there. SO has been doing the shopping now because he doesn't want me going out. ::)

His idea of grocery shopping is 2 bags of jelly beans a 2 lb bag of swedish fish, cookies, and pies. At this rate if the coronavirus doesn't get me, diabetes will. :laugh: I told him I'm going to start ordering online.

I'd gladly only grocery shop once per month, but the boy hardly eats vegetables and fresh fruit is the only way to get produce into him.  :lol1:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12610 on: March 29, 2020, 10:56:40 AM »
The epidemiologists say we're on the right path. Wondering what that means.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12611 on: March 29, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »
Who's we in this case?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12612 on: March 29, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
When I was a kid we were once trapped for almost three weeks by a freak ice storm. That's also when mom quit smoking. Fun times.  :lol1: When Sugarbutt and I lived in there woods, I don't think there was a single winter we weren't snowed in for a couple of weeks. Here, it's common and even expected for people to empty out the stores and gas stations from a sense of impending doom. Maybe I just always have a sense of impending doom.  :dunno:
You would think, living in Canada that I would be better prepared for such things but I basically wing it when it feels like the weather is about to turn. I seem to manage to get to the stores just before the panic ensues. I'm still trying to train myself not to let the gas tank in the van get below 1/4 of a tank in the winter though now that we live in the country. I haven't been too successful at that yet.  :facepalm2: :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12613 on: March 30, 2020, 12:41:13 AM »
Who's we in this case?

Sweden. I've been wondering about their so-called strategy for weeks now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12614 on: March 30, 2020, 12:41:54 AM »
Thinking I want to go back to bed.

- Albert Einstein