Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 202635 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12555 on: March 22, 2020, 04:28:36 AM »
This is like the world war for our generation but it's not fought on soil with guns. And we're not fighting other countries. It's all these countries fighting the same invisible enemy.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12556 on: March 22, 2020, 04:38:23 AM »
The actions of the public have been very bizarre during all of this. Just after we all came together during the fires and now it's every man for himself in the TP aisle at Coles.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12557 on: March 22, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
Exactly. How quickly we forget about the things that matter most in our communities, like looking out for one another.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12558 on: March 22, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »
 :apondering:

Avoid crowds (CHECK)

Keep at least six feet away from other people (CHECK, although I recommend twelve to fifteen feet.)

Avoid Restaurants or use carry out (CHECK, carry out rocks! I have used it for years.)

Avoid bars (CHECK, no problem there since I no longer imbibe.)

Wash hands every time you touch anything (CHECK Might have missed one, here and there, but NEVER any important ones.)

Stay home if possible (CHECK, I drive my kids to work, but I do not leave the car. HEY! They still have jobs!)

Avoid public transportation (CHECK, always have.)

Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze (CHECK, simple courtesy, if nothing else.)

Avoid shaking hands (CHECK, but we were once too free with such greetings. No more and now I have good reason.)

Stock up on enough food and household items to last for a "while" (CHECK, we could live for six months from just our freezers and pantries full of food.)

Clean often touched surfaces often (CHECK, I do so, my wife does so, my daughter helps some, my son does a little. Pretty clean around here already.)

Kind of seems as if I have been as safe as possible from the evil Coronavirus for all of my life.

We are so lucky that my wife's job (UPS driver) has been deemed as essential by our government, so she keeps on working. My son works at a grocery store, so same deal. My daughter works at a restaurant, but it is very popular and they have a decent take out clientele. She has suffered reduced hours, but still working. I have nothing to do except for Daddy Taxi duties, which I will continue doing, but with as little exposure to the general public as possible.

We will be fine. This whole thing will eventually end. We will all be fine.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12559 on: March 22, 2020, 03:43:47 PM »

One thing we have added to "The List"  is that when ever someone returns home from being out in contact (so to speak) is to immediately shower and get their clothes into the washer.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12560 on: March 23, 2020, 01:32:12 AM »
^There's never been a better excuse to have two showers a day 8)

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12561 on: March 23, 2020, 01:44:59 AM »
The office is trying to gear up for people to work from home, but it relies on the basic principle that people have some chargeable tax work to take home to do, of which I have none of right now. I can catch up on my paper filing, but that's a bit hard to do from the home office.

Not to mention that the whole telecommuting/work from home thing for everyone has yet to be set up by our IT contractor, and they're probably swamped with clients asking for the same setup.

What about printing? Will we be able to access ALL programs remotely? I mean it would suck to have to put aside a day's work because we can't get into MYOB or something stupid like that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12562 on: March 24, 2020, 03:04:38 AM »
Saw someone claim that IT shouldn't be as affected by this crisis as many other areas. The problem is that a lot of IT work is about working for a customer in those other areas, and if they are affected, you are affected, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12563 on: March 24, 2020, 06:30:04 AM »
Saw someone claim that IT shouldn't be as affected by this crisis as many other areas. The problem is that a lot of IT work is about working for a customer in those other areas, and if they are affected, you are affected, too.
IT is considered an essential service here

Wondering if HB's company will stay open. He's in manufacturing but not supply for essential service. They make vinyl siding. I can't see that being essential. Waiting for A shift to send a text and let us know what management is saying.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12564 on: March 24, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
Forever Alone .__.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12565 on: March 24, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
IT is considered an essential service here

Wondering if HB's company will stay open. He's in manufacturing but not supply for essential service. They make vinyl siding. I can't see that being essential. Waiting for A shift to send a text and let us know what management is saying.

But IT is such a broad subject. I'm in IT and my project was just postponed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12566 on: March 25, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »

I can not remember when I last paid only $1.69 per gallon for gasoline.
Cost nearly one hundred dollars to change my oil and air filters, though. I hired it done.
 :dunno:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12567 on: March 25, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »

My wife works at UPS and she has to access secure areas in buildings which manufacture "things" that have to be controlled. She has always had to keep a couple of key cards or security items to gain access to her pick-ups.
Last week she had three more added and yesterday six more.

NOW, she has a total of eleven security card thingies she has to "sign out" and return securely upon leaving work. Even her cellphone has to be registered and tied into the truck's GPS and other security functions when she takes a truck out for a route. That part happened just before Christmas rush.

Roche is one of the companies that ship things out from her route.  They make drugs and ship them through UPS. They have not closed, but have boosted campus security this past month to alarming levels.
 :GA:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12568 on: March 25, 2020, 11:19:27 AM »

Pain in the ass, but necessary, I suppose.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12569 on: March 25, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »

I can not remember when I last paid only $1.69 per gallon for gasoline.
Cost nearly one hundred dollars to change my oil and air filters, though. I hired it done.
 :dunno:

$1.69 is ridiculously cheap. Haven't seen that since the 80s.

- Albert Einstein