Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201385 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12495 on: March 09, 2020, 05:17:46 AM »
I don't understand the toilet paper craze. Seriously, how long do they expect to hide from the world?
What's hard to understand, is why people who can be at least somewhat prepared, aren't. That's why the stores get cleared out. A person could spend 40 dollars on peanutbutter and a lifestraw to have basic survival for a month. Sure, some areas of the country are more prone to natural disasters, but preparedness efforts here aren't very different than when we lived in an area with cold winters, where lengthy power outages and impassable roads were just as much a possibility. The only difference seems to be evaluating supplies at a different time of year.

This.

We always tend to have enough to survive in isolation for a month or so.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12496 on: March 09, 2020, 05:19:31 AM »
Reading the Star Trek book "Picard".  Not impressed, the plot line is a bit of deja vu with a mixture of wtf and a dash of "did they do any research into the past story lines?"  I'm not impressed and it more or less convinces me that the franchise is dying a slow miserable death.

Drats. I suspected as much. While the last two episodes are more fun to watch than any of the previous ones, the lack of logic is driving me nuts, as is the fact that - as you say - they don't seem to have looked into any past storylines.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12497 on: March 09, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
Reading the Star Trek book "Picard".  Not impressed, the plot line is a bit of deja vu with a mixture of wtf and a dash of "did they do any research into the past story lines?"  I'm not impressed and it more or less convinces me that the franchise is dying a slow miserable death.

Drats. I suspected as much. While the last two episodes are more fun to watch than any of the previous ones, the lack of logic is driving me nuts, as is the fact that - as you say - they don't seem to have looked into any past storylines.

The franchise is dying......the older writers are dying off and no new ones are coming up to replace them.   The other sign I see of dying off is the fact that the Star Trek books are relegated to the bottom shelf at Barnes and Noble.  Star Wars now has it's own huge section adjacent.  Since Disney owns Star Wars, I can only conclude that they have the large resources to keep it going. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12498 on: March 09, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
I just finished the book............ :thumbdn:  It is a horrific mish mash of borrowed storylines, grand ideas that failed miserably and just terrible writing.  Many a Star Trek book had darkness at it's heart, but, left one hopeful at the end.  This one made me wish I was on prozac.  No logic, no thread of continuity of plot to hold it together.  Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave.

It reads like a bunch of monkeys were pounding at a keyboard to produce a storyline.  To say I am disgusted with the money that I wasted on it, would be an understatement.  I don't know if the book plot is the same as the TV plotline.  And I have avoided giving it away.  Oh well, time to toss it in the bag for the thrift store and move on. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12499 on: March 09, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »
I don't have the energy to do what needs to be done.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12500 on: March 09, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »

This is one of my wife's vacation weeks. We have the whole week together.

It starts on a full moon and ends on Friday the thirteenth.
 :apondering:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12501 on: March 09, 2020, 06:58:52 PM »

This is one of my wife's vacation weeks. We have the whole week together.

It starts on a full moon and ends on Friday the thirteenth.
 :apondering:
:lol1:

“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12502 on: March 09, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »
I don't understand the toilet paper craze. Seriously, how long do they expect to hide from the world?
What's hard to understand, is why people who can be at least somewhat prepared, aren't. That's why the stores get cleared out. A person could spend 40 dollars on peanutbutter and a lifestraw to have basic survival for a month. Sure, some areas of the country are more prone to natural disasters, but preparedness efforts here aren't very different than when we lived in an area with cold winters, where lengthy power outages and impassable roads were just as much a possibility. The only difference seems to be evaluating supplies at a different time of year.

This.

We always tend to have enough to survive in isolation for a month or so.
It was easier to determine time frames when preparing for winter because of natural refrigeration. Now, it depends on the circumstances. Without power,  a month. With power, probably twice that.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12503 on: March 09, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »
Feeling a little Blue at the moment, so I'm hanging out with Benjamin Netenyahu and Jerry Seinfeld for awhile... Bye!

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12504 on: March 09, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »
When I lived in Jakarta the issue was that tap water wasn't drinkable, so in case of flood or earthquake it was important to have a supply of drinkable water.

When my son was a baby I bought a heap of bottled water and put it in the kitchen cupboards. And told my wife that it was for emergencies only. There was enough for a week at least.

Most households had a water dispenser like the water coolers that offices used to have, with the big 20 litre bottle.

One night, around 10 or 11 pm and all the supermarkets and convenience stores were closed, my wife said to me "we run out of water and I need to make milk for the baby, can I use tapwater?". I was was like O_O, no, that would make an adult very sick and possibly kill a baby. I said "it's okay, just this once you can use the emergency water".

My wife said "I already used all that". So I ended up walking around the dimly-lit streets looking for a late-opening street food stall that had extra water (I found one).

In other words, we are not big on preparation. We could probably last a couple of weeks on random canned food.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #12505 on: March 09, 2020, 08:04:51 PM »
For the average person the pantry food could last much longer, but there's special dietary needs in the house which are preferably purchased fresh. A power outage and no gas for the generator would be a huge problem. Buying emergency non perishable food is geared with that special need in mind. Otherwise, there's plenty of food in the house at any given time so no need to prep for anything else.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:06:29 PM by Jack »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12506 on: March 09, 2020, 09:34:22 PM »
The biggest issue here would be running out of milk. The cub still drinks a gallon and a half per week and that's not including what he gets at daycare. But we have a big box freezer in the basement that we're not using. I could stock it up with milk and turn it on and we'd be fine for at least a month or two with what's in the rest of the house.

A worse issue is that he would be stir crazy in days if we were quarantined. He loves his walks.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12507 on: March 09, 2020, 09:43:09 PM »
Why go from "I want to start things over with you" to "I just like you as a friend"... why go up and down like that?

I know the other party likes me... but I don't feel the same way about them, as I do her...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12508 on: March 10, 2020, 01:04:55 AM »

The franchise is dying......the older writers are dying off and no new ones are coming up to replace them.   The other sign I see of dying off is the fact that the Star Trek books are relegated to the bottom shelf at Barnes and Noble.  Star Wars now has it's own huge section adjacent.  Since Disney owns Star Wars, I can only conclude that they have the large resources to keep it going.

I think it's merely a question of money. They're killing Star Wars, too.

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12509 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:58 AM »

I think it's merely a question of money. They're killing Star Wars, too.

In time, it will.....when the next BIG thing comes along and the human herd has its attention focused elsewhere.