Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 202642 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #12465 on: February 29, 2020, 11:11:00 PM »
This one is going to get much bigger than SARS.

But not as bad as the Spanish Flu. Hopefully.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12466 on: March 01, 2020, 02:38:15 AM »
It's already bigger than SARS, and it looks like it isn't easy to contain. Thankfully most cases appear to be very mild.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12467 on: March 01, 2020, 06:30:55 AM »
Agreed. The only reason why I compare it to SARS is because Toronto (where I live) was so hard hit and we all felt the effects of the panic.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12468 on: March 01, 2020, 08:06:46 PM »
Agreed. The only reason why I compare it to SARS is because Toronto (where I live) was so hard hit and we all felt the effects of the panic.

The only time I remember hearing about Toronto being hit with the SARS situation was when the media in my area was saying that the Blue Jays/White Sox Game in Roger Centre was postponed or canceled because of the SARS issue back in 2002 (or was it 2003?)... Of course, I didn't care about the White Sox playing (Because I was and still am a die-hard Cubs fan).

SARS sounded scary when they mentioned it back when I was in middle school... Corona Virus is just another beast to tame (easily I hope?)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12469 on: March 02, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »

The only time I remember hearing about Toronto being hit with the SARS situation was when the media in my area was saying that the Blue Jays/White Sox Game in Roger Centre was postponed or canceled because of the SARS issue back in 2002 (or was it 2003?)... Of course, I didn't care about the White Sox playing (Because I was and still am a die-hard Cubs fan).

SARS sounded scary when they mentioned it back when I was in middle school... Corona Virus is just another beast to tame (easily I hope?)
I think it would have been an easier beast to tame if the US government didn't take away half of the funding that went towards the scientific research team working on infectious diseases.

It was 2003. I went to the SARS benefit concert that summer with my sister and it was amazing. Sam Roberts, La Chicane, Kathleen Edwards, Blue Rodeo, Flaming Lips, Sass Jordan, Jeff Healey, The Tea Party, Isley Brothers, Justin Timberlake, The Who, Aykroyd and Belushi as The Blues Brothers, Rush, AC/DC,  and The Rolling Stones.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12470 on: March 02, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
My favourite out of that lineup is The Tea Party.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12471 on: March 03, 2020, 04:10:27 PM »
My favourite out of that lineup is The Tea Party.
I vividly remember that Timberlake was booed and people threw drinks at him on stage but I can't remember why
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12472 on: March 03, 2020, 08:10:55 PM »
It's a question of how quickly people start to go back to "normal", working and spending money and eating out, not bunkered in their houses with their 2 years' supply of toilet paper. My friend flew back home to Thailand a few days ago, he sent me a photo from inside the plane and it looked about 25% full. Not as empty, though, as the flight I took from Sydney to the US at the height of the SARS scare. That was less than 10% full. The airport we transited at, in Seoul, was totally empty. Once I got onto internal flights in the US the plane was full.

Airlines are running at a huge loss, considering that they are heavily discounting the few tickets they do sell.

Hotels are also discounting heavily and in some parts of the world (usually those where tourism is a big part of the economy) a lot of hotels are running at less than 10% occupancy where they would normally be full.

We have Chinese restaurants shutting down (permanently) at a steady rate here. Where I work is in the middle of where the well-off Chinese tourists do their holiday shopping (at Gucci, Prada, etc.). Those shops won't be making any money. Not that I care, I do all my clothes shopping at places that are a few steps down from Walmart. But still, it's a hit to the economy.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12473 on: March 04, 2020, 05:27:06 AM »
Yep, no bog roll left anywhere in my town. And I'm down to half a roll left lol. Hand sanitiser, never use it anyway. Got half a box of tissues left, but I could get my box I keep in the car out too.
I noticed a lot of non perishables still left on the shelves at Coles (soup, baked beans, 2 minute noodles and the like), which just shows that people aren't buying all the bog roll to really prepare for anything. Most people are just buying it because they heard people are panic buying toilet paper, so then they panic buy to beat the panic buyers.... TPTB keep saying "you only need enough to last you through a 2 week isolation period at home".

I bought two packets of feminine hygiene products but maybe I should buy more tomorrow.
I mean, the toilet paper memes on FB are funny, but if I was on the first day of my period and couldn't obtain any pads I wouldn't be laughing. No pads means not being able to go to work or leave the house. In saying that, I will probably see a bunch of Asian blokes with trolleys full of Libra Ultrathins by the weekend  :thumbdn:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12474 on: March 04, 2020, 09:03:46 AM »
It's sad what is happening to Chinese businesses. We have a massive Chinese population here and the racism is disgusting. My son's girlfriend is Chinese and he's much more aware of it now when they're out together.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12475 on: March 04, 2020, 08:48:19 PM »
I'm needing to get the package ready for shipping once the payment comes in... so what do I do while I am waiting?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12476 on: March 05, 2020, 02:31:09 AM »

I flew to Montreal in the middle of the SARS scare and remember the panic.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12477 on: March 05, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »

I flew to Montreal in the middle of the SARS scare and remember the panic.
yes, it was memorable. And Toronto has a massive Asian population and is a travel hub to a lot of places that are being the hardest hit. We're a global community so it's bound to spread.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12478 on: March 05, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »
Finally found and signed up for yoga classes again.  Much better situation than the YMCA.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12479 on: March 05, 2020, 07:44:11 PM »
I really need to expand my options  :yawn: