Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201397 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11610 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
Stepped on a rusty nail when I was around 10 or 11. It got infected and I got a high fever. My parents had to rush me to the hospital after some very interesting fever dreams.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11611 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:58 AM »
I'm a klutz. In 2017 I managed to drip smoking hot oil onto my big toe. That wasn't much fun. That did a lot more tissue damage than the knife, and took longer to heal, but apart from discoloured skin it's completely healed.
Coincidence? Kayleigh recently spilled hot oil onto her hand. It blistered quite spectacularly and I had to keep telling her to not pop it. It did eventually deflate and now the site is a raw-looking pink. She says it doesn't hurt any more so that's good. I'd never want an oil burn, they look painful.
Stepped on a rusty nail when I was around 10 or 11. It got infected and I got a high fever. My parents had to rush me to the hospital after some very interesting fever dreams.
Wow, you wouldn't have been far from getting tetanus. They would have given you very strong IV antibiotics.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11612 on: January 09, 2019, 01:42:19 AM »
I had a blister literally about half the size of a golf ball on my toe that I tried (unsuccessfully) not to pop. I got the foot into a bucket of cool water right away and then I got ice onto it to numb the pain. The damage from maybe a spoonful of super hot oil was horrendous but fortunately the site of the damage was small. I was on antibiotics for a couple of months. I have a photo somewhere, I am not going to post it here because it's beyond gross but if someone is really interested I could send it to them via PM.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11613 on: January 09, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
**skims through all the injury posts because it makes her nauseous**  :hide: :tinfoil: :zombiefuck:

“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11614 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:37 AM »
Gah. How terrifying. Thank god you were home.
Yeah, because she doesn't drive she would have been stuck bleeding at home. And it was a lot of blood. The doctor even commented on how much Kayleigh's finger bled.
I remember the time Mom walked into the living room and asked Dad if he could remove the fork from her finger.  She'd speared it while trying to break off some butter from a frozen stick of butter.  He removed it.  She wrapped it in gauze and tape.  Dinner was a few minutes late that night.
Your mum reminds me of me. Cut a chunk out of my thumb, stuck a bandaid on it and finished cutting the onion. I have a small scar.

I've had to modify my "free range" mom attitude and actions.  I was criticized (mildly, but still criticized) by The PR's care co-ordinator for not taking her to a doctor last year for something I thought was minor.  The co-ordinator is a legally mandated reporter for danger/abuse of her clients.  So, I either don't tell Bridget about minor injuries or I waste the taxpayers money for something I could put a bandaid on.  (Bridget is kind of cool.  When I asked if I had to bring The PR in for a scratch, she said, "Now, QV." 

She was peeved at me that I didn't go to the doctor with my broken toe.  "Who's going to take care of her if you're not able?"  (My thought is that she can take care of me for the minor parts.) Hell, wrap toes toegether, take OTC pain pills and continue with life.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11615 on: January 09, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
When we were children running around the yard barefooted my sister stepped on a mouse skeleton.  The teeth closed on her foot.  She hobbled into the house, Mom removed the mouse, cleaned it and bandaged it.  Back to playing; outside, shoeless. 

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11616 on: January 09, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »
I'm a klutz. In 2017 I managed to drip smoking hot oil onto my big toe. That wasn't much fun. That did a lot more tissue damage than the knife, and took longer to heal, but apart from discoloured skin it's completely healed.
Coincidence? Kayleigh recently spilled hot oil onto her hand. It blistered quite spectacularly and I had to keep telling her to not pop it. It did eventually deflate and now the site is a raw-looking pink. She says it doesn't hurt any more so that's good. I'd never want an oil burn, they look painful.
Wow, you wouldn't have been far from getting tetanus. They would have given you very strong IV antibiotics.

I think I'd had a tetanus shot previously. It's been a while since but I still remember the dream.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11617 on: January 09, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
The Weather Gods really really REALLY HATE me!  We get a messy storm, ice, rain, snow = slush, about 2-3 inches worth.  It's been cloudy and dark for 2 fucking days.  Weather person says the storm will be over soon.  So we get a glimmer of sun and blue sky, I go to do some cleaning up.......BAM.......non stop light snow flurries..and no end in sight!!!!!!    AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH     :soapbox:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11618 on: January 09, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
The Weather Gods really really REALLY HATE me!  We get a messy storm, ice, rain, snow = slush, about 2-3 inches worth.  It's been cloudy and dark for 2 fucking days.  Weather person says the storm will be over soon.  So we get a glimmer of sun and blue sky, I go to do some cleaning up.......BAM.......non stop light snow flurries..and no end in sight!!!!!!    AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH     :soapbox:
Would you puhleeeeze stop hogging all of our snow?  :MLA:  :lol1:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11619 on: January 09, 2019, 05:20:18 PM »
This man has it right.

After cancer diagnosis, man chooses to die sailing down the Mississippi River with his dog

By Maria Clark, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune mclark@nola.com
The Times-Picayune

A yellow tugboat heading upstream along the Mississippi River Wednesday morning (Jan. 9) created waves strong enough to rock an old red and white houseboat named “Shameless”. The waves pulled at the little houseboat, threatening to make it come untied from a tree near the levee in Algiers Point, where it’s been docked this past week.

The boat’s owner, Kelly Phillips, 51, and his dog Sapphire, walked out onto the houseboat’s deck, managing to keep their balance despite the wind and relentless rocking. They jumped into a dark green pirogue that was taking on some water and Phillips paddled to the levee using an old broom he had found on shore.

As he walked up to the levee, he hugged himself against the cold breeze that had swept in overnight.

“It’s cold on the houseboat, there is no insulation. Fortunately, I have my little heater,” he said, gesturing to Sapphire.

This turn of the Mississippi River is just one of dozens of places Phillips has visited since he started his journey down the river 20 months ago.

Phillips, who is originally from Wisconsin, said he was diagnosed with cancer in his sinuses about two years ago. He underwent chemotherapy, but the treatment left him with a debilitating stomach ulcer. His doctors said he had only about three months to live.

At the time, Phillips was living in New Jersey, where he ran a variety of businesses including two laundromats and a commercial laundry company with 53 employees.

He said he knew the last place he wanted to die in was in hospice care.

He thought if anything, the Mississippi River might be a good place to go. So, with his brother’s help he bought “Shameless,” a houseboat built in 1972.

“I woke up in the morning. I don’t know why but I just decided to to call my brother and said, ‘This is what I want to do,’” he said.

Originally he had planned to stay in Wisconsin. But three months went by. Then five months and six months, so he decided to head downriver.

“I figured I’d travel for three months and that would be it. I didn’t die, my plans got screwed up, so I continued going downriver,” he said.

With only $214 in his pocket, he set sail.

The river has been his home and he said the “Mississippi River people” have been his family.

He remembers when he arrived in Chester, Illinois, on New Year’s Eve in 2017. He was set to leave the next day but his boat was stuck in frozen water. He had run out of wood for his stove and gas for his generator.

“I was going to freeze to death,” he said. He ended up calling the local police department for help and said he got connected to the right person. Soon after the people of Chester came out and gave him gas and delivered scrap wood and three containers of food.

“Some guy even gave me this jacket,” Phillips said, pointing to the black windbreaker he was wearing.

The houseboat was sinking when he reached Hickman, Kentucky. There he met a tugboat captain who pulled him out of the water and promised, no matter where Phillips ends up when he dies, he will take care of Sapphire.

When he reached Memphis, Sapphire went missing briefly. The people who found her learned about Phillips and decided to help him on his journey and bought him a new engine and generator for his boat.

In Baton Rouge, a friend set him up with a motorized bike, because Phillips is too weak to pedal.

In Algiers Point he’s shared coffee at One Stone and stories with people at the Old Point Bar.

New Orleans was originally going to be his last stop on his journey down the river, but Phillips said he plans to end up in Venice, La., by Jan. 23 where many of his “river friends” plan to meet him.

He found out about this last place on the river a few weeks ago and says he is looking forward to all of the fresh seafood ahead in his journey.

“Most of all I want to say ‘I did it, I made it all the way down the river,’” he said.

Beyond Venice he has no plans, mainly because he says he hates making plans.

For now, he says, he has enough energy to keep traveling. Each morning Sapphire gets him up from the recliner where he sleeps by standing on his chest and barking.

“She makes sure that I get up,” he said.

He said he will continue as long as he can without medical help.

“I don’t want to go to the hospital,” he said. “Hopefully I will just lay down and go to sleep and not wake up. That seems like the easiest way to go.”

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11620 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
That's a beautiful story QV.

Reminds me a little of a movie: The Earthling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Earthling
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11621 on: January 09, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »

HELL, you can have every flake as far as I am concerned!  I'm New England/Northeast USA born and raised, but, I hate snow and the icy/slushy/rainy crap that climate change is bringing to my area.  Light fluffy snow I can handle, otherwise, I wish it would stay up north!   :P
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11622 on: January 09, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »

Look at it this way, on the plus side...no mosquito's or black and deer flies!   :green:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11623 on: January 09, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
That's a beautiful story QV.

Reminds me a little of a movie: The Earthling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Earthling

I'll keep an eye out for it.  Sounds interesting.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11624 on: January 09, 2019, 08:48:08 PM »
"The Earthling" was an enjoyable movie. Not really a "must see" though. Stars William Holden.

As I recall, a man is dying of cancer. He rides a horse deep into the bush, lets the horse go so that he is effectively stranded, and plans to simply live off the land until he dies.

A boy is stranded in the bush when his parents are killed in an accident and Holden eventually makes the right decision, to try to get the boy back to civilization. Along the way he teaches the boy how to survive and they form a close bond. Holden dies along the way, but by that stage the boy is well able to look after himself and find his own way out.