Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201372 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11325 on: November 01, 2018, 12:41:35 AM »
And why they don't understand that simple fact is beyond me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11326 on: November 01, 2018, 07:40:06 AM »
Halloween? wow
We normally have fifty or sixty "trick or treaters" every Halloween. Often we are afraid we did not set by enough pre-packaged candy crap and party shit. Yes, I love to give out whistles and noise makers. Kids love this, parents scowl at me.
Last night we had twelve visitors. It rained a lot!

We have buttloads of shit left over.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11327 on: November 01, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »

Exactly. I consider talking on a phone while driving to be too distracting. I always pull into a parking lot when my phone rings. I do not ever want to chance the inevitable.

I see it all the time, though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:45:10 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11328 on: November 01, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »

Exactly. I consider talking on a phone while driving to be too distracting. I always pull into a parking lot when my phone rings. I do not ever want to chance the inevitable.

I shut it off most of the time, then I'll check it when I get to where I'm going.

SO is another story, it makes him batshit insane when I shut my phone off  ;). His mother is the same way, she has the "hands free" shit in her ride. Don't enjoy traveling anywhere outside of 5 miles with either of them.

He'll blow up my phone texting me from the other room ffs. Then dies when I open up the door and throw the phone out. Damn thing has been throw so often I'm surprised disappointed it still works.  :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11329 on: November 01, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »

I shut it off most of the time, then I'll check it when I get to where I'm going.

SO is another story, it makes him batshit insane when I shut my phone off  ;). His mother is the same way, she has the "hands free" shit in her ride. Don't enjoy traveling anywhere outside of 5 miles with either of them.

He'll blow up my phone texting me from the other room ffs. Then dies when I open up the door and throw the phone out. Damn thing has been throw so often I'm surprised disappointed it still works.  :laugh:
Yes, my car automatically connects to my phone when I get in, but I still do not take phone calls, even "free hands" calls. I always pull over into a safe place before I answer even considering that high techy convenience.
I just do not trust other drivers enough to allow for me to be a complete idiot while I am trying to drive.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11330 on: November 01, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »

My wife's newish car is all new tech to her.

I am not sure how she will do all this, yet.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11331 on: November 01, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
Thinking how aging changes a singer's voice. Poor Art Garfunkel.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11332 on: November 01, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »

Go over the really important shit first...like how to get the alarm to shut off and how not to lock herself out.

First damn car I've ever had with power windows, locks, and an alarm. Little shit has been a learning curve to say the least.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11333 on: November 01, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »

Yeah. Just back in the summer I bought for the first time in my life - knew it all from radio, never needed to own any of it - a Donavan album and enjoyed the nostalgia and the memories listening to it invoked.

I heard him a couple of weeks ago (you tube, mind you, but still disturbing) and I was almost "truamatized"  by just how not so Donovan he sounded.
Shit, even older than he, Eric Burdan, John Kay, Justin Hayward all sound about/not that far away from the same as they did in those ancient times.

Have yet to hear Garfunkel.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11334 on: November 01, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »

Go over the really important shit first...like how to get the alarm to shut off and how not to lock herself out.

First damn car I've ever had with power windows, locks, and an alarm. Little shit has been a learning curve to say the least.

Yeah, it was security stuff going on with her Lincoln that made us go ahead and jump to this new car.
We have studied the "RTFM" manual and watched a few vids covering some of this and it seems that as long as (everything is working as it should   :GA:) AND
as long as she has her remote, there is not going to be a problem.
 :dunno:

Hoping that all the tech crap does not put her off too much.

SO far no problems. She LOVES her new car!  So do I. That pudgy old man looking car can fucking haul ass if I want. It is not bad at all. If my memory is as accurate as I think it is this thing may have a step over my old '70 Mach 1 in its stock format. This Chrysler 300S really does sing.

Of course, I had to upgrade that Mustang and when I got into the low twelves in the quarter, I felt better.

My first car was a '63 Dodge and it had power windows. Locks were powered, but you had to push the door handle forward (like all on purpose and shit), power everything and factory air conditioning, along with a push button transmission, not unlike her "dial" transmission.
My old girl did not have push button start, though. That took a lesson or two.

She has the keyless entry function, but she has to have her remote for it to go painlessly. Otherwise it is up to making sure our satellite tech stuff is paid up to make sure the car will start and go without a key. Seems stupid, kind of, if you lose one the other one is probably attached. That is why the satellite stuff is so important to keep current. She can still drive home after losing her keys and shit, if that ever happens.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:55:34 PM by DirtDawg »

Online rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11335 on: November 01, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
Just had a chat with Amber and before that a chat with a member of the Rochester NH police force.  In a nutshell, she is breaking up with a 3 month boyfriend named "human" who A) has no car, B) no job...that we know of... C) has housing because of public assistance.  He, "human" has accused US of manipulating her at 26 years of age and yet he has wanted her to lie to whoever, that she is living with him, so he can get a better apartment.  She's had enough and so have Carla and I.  AND I am the one to deal with this.  The red eyed demon inside me wants to put a major hurting, if not death on this asshole.  BUT, Amber is the one to tell me how I can help and support her.  So I exercise restraint.  And the police officer was quite informative and supportive.  And they know him as well, because of his paranoia about them.   ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

I follow Amber's lead after a long talk with her.  I've got her back!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11336 on: November 02, 2018, 12:35:11 AM »

Yeah. Just back in the summer I bought for the first time in my life - knew it all from radio, never needed to own any of it - a Donavan album and enjoyed the nostalgia and the memories listening to it invoked.

I heard him a couple of weeks ago (you tube, mind you, but still disturbing) and I was almost "truamatized"  by just how not so Donovan he sounded.
Shit, even older than he, Eric Burdan, John Kay, Justin Hayward all sound about/not that far away from the same as they did in those ancient times.

Well, listen to Paul McCartney. He sounds like a shadow of his former self. :(

But I really feel for Garfunkel. He so depended on his voice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11337 on: November 02, 2018, 03:05:59 AM »
I heard Rod Stewart spontaneously singing a few songs during a TV interview recently. He sounds exactly the same as he ever did. He isn't ancient though, he is 73. That seems ancient when you're 25, sure, but not so much when you're my age.

Still, similar age to Art Garfunkel and Donovan.

Can't say I've got a huge amount of sympathy for them. They got to be rock stars (well pop stars anyway), made lots of money, and had a great talent that lasted them many years. Time catches up with all of us, but these guys don't need to feel shortchanged because their singing voices didn't fare well in their old age.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11338 on: November 02, 2018, 06:20:41 AM »
I heard Rod Stewart spontaneously singing a few songs during a TV interview recently. He sounds exactly the same as he ever did. He isn't ancient though, he is 73. That seems ancient when you're 25, sure, but not so much when you're my age.

Still, similar age to Art Garfunkel and Donovan.

Can't say I've got a huge amount of sympathy for them. They got to be rock stars (well pop stars anyway), made lots of money, and had a great talent that lasted them many years. Time catches up with all of us, but these guys don't need to feel shortchanged because their singing voices didn't fare well in their old age.

I tend to agree with you in that they should not feel shortchanged, but the fans still look on their aging and that drills home just how old we feel.

I do not know your age, so that part means nothing to me. I am sixty three and I am losing the battle of aging.
It takes a lot more internal push these days to get things done. But I push. :viking:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11339 on: November 02, 2018, 06:30:38 AM »

Well, listen to Paul McCartney. He sounds like a shadow of his former self. :(

But I really feel for Garfunkel. He so depended on his voice.

I bought Sir Paul's recent concert series on Blu-ray. He definitely surrounds himself with talent. The vid is worth watching, if not worth the price to own. I also, at the same time, bought a concert video collection from the Wings era. There IS a huge difference, but HEY! It's McCartney.

I plan on buying his newest, yet to be released, as well.