Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201386 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #11295 on: October 17, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
My sister works in admin at a university. She does proof reading for some of the professors. She reckons that their actual level of literacy is often shockingly bad considering how well educated they are supposed to be.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11296 on: October 17, 2018, 09:09:43 PM »
Someone in one of my uni classes asked me to hand their assignment in the next day. I agreed to. I took a quick peek at it before I handed it in and I was surprised at how bad it was.

I was proud to hand in assignments without any spelling or grammatical errors.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11297 on: October 17, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »
My sister works in admin at a university. She does proof reading for some of the professors. She reckons that their actual level of literacy is often shockingly bad considering how well educated they are supposed to be.

Well, look at Trump. The man's got about a sixth-graders vocabulary but people don't care.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11298 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
Every once in a while I see something that reminds me that not all people are assholes.  Today I was shopping and headed for the express check out line.  Over in the next aisle was a lady with a full shopping cart.  As she was unloading, an elderly man shuffled up with 2 things in his smaller cart.  The lady saw this and stopped unloading and told the elder that he should go before her since he had only two items.  He deferred for a bit, but, the lady nicely insisted that he should go and continued to put the stuff BACK into her cart and move to allow him to get in front of her.  Which he did.  He was cashed out and as he finished, he reached his hand out to the lady to thank her for her kindness.  They shook hands and she was smiling and so was he.  As I watched, I couldn't help but smile myself at this random act of kindness. 

It does give one hope! 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11299 on: October 18, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
I gotta love how the Dr. Who fanbase is all a twitter about the new Dr. Who, who just happens to be a woman.  FFS, give her a chance to establish the character and make it her own.  The a'holes hated Peter Capaldi as the last Dr.  Yet, they eventually accepted him.  The Master regenerated as a woman, and nary a word was spoken.  I've seen every Doctor character and they all brought their quirks and individual touches to the character.  The Master regenerated into a woman, Missy, and nary a complaint.  Yet, FB is bombed with Jodi WHittaker being the worst Dr. ever...ever.  Let it go people!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11300 on: October 18, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
^I've enjoyed the latest two episodes with the new Doctor and look forward to more.

I like your check-out story. :plus:
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11301 on: October 18, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
^I've enjoyed the latest two episodes with the new Doctor and look forward to more.

I like your check-out story. :plus:

Thanks, it was a pleasure to share!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11302 on: October 18, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
I enjoy the female Doctor Who.  My complaint/concern is that the pacing of the show seems more like a murder mystery, which Chibnall is known for.  If he picks up the pace it's sure to be a winner.

Loved Missy and Donna Noble.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11303 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »
Never got into the whole Dr Who thing but the new Doctor is hawt.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #11304 on: October 20, 2018, 03:52:10 AM »
It's nice that they finally cast someone with the right accent.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11305 on: October 20, 2018, 09:27:38 PM »
It's nice that they finally cast someone with the right accent.
How do you mean? I like her accent but the other doctors' accents didn't bother me.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11306 on: October 21, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
That thread about people's should-have-been inventions, has actually given me a bit of inspiration, to do some digging  about some of those antiquated  tertiary alkynol type sedative-hypnotics.

Decided to check one of them out as a start point, methylpentynol, fairly simple synthesis, ethynylation of the common solvent MEK (methyl ethyl ketone, butanone) with sodium acetylide. I'm currently looking into alternative routes to produce the acetylide itself, as the standard route involves dropping sodium metal into anhydrous liquid ammonia, before bubbling in acetylene gas. Condensing the NH3 is a nuisance though, one I tend to prefer to work around wherever possible.

Wondering if gassing a suspension of sodium metal in an inert solvent such as diethyl ether with anhydrous ammonia gas might work, it does indeed form the solvated electron blue when the same is done with lithium metal, when performing a reduction akin to the Birch-Benkeser reduction (Li or Na in anhydrous ammonia, often used for reduction of pseudoephedrine to methamphetamine, although in this case, it's the solvated sodium cation that's more important)

Or, possibly there might be an easy way around it, sort of, in that at least lithium acetylide (aka lithium carbide) can be produced in an analogous way to calcium carbide, which is made by heating quicklime and carbon dust together to about 2000 'C.  So I'm thinking either do so, build a furnace to perform the reaction in question, and go with the lithium carbide,  or try the  reaction with commercially available calcium carbide which is fairly common. If no results, I could still use it for generating the acetylene needed to make sodium acetylide/carbide the old fashioned way, in anhydrous ammonia.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #11307 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
How do you mean? I like her accent but the other doctors' accents didn't bother me.

She has the same accent as me without being a patronising stereotype.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:35:15 PM by Grey Area »
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11308 on: October 21, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »

Offering a chill pill or two to a few is an occasional inclination, but that is mainly because I do not have a proper license to prescribe a chill suppository for those who need it most.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #11309 on: October 21, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »
I'm craving a breaded chicken patty.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.