Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201397 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10995 on: August 03, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »

An interesting two hours, just now.

A "friend" called last night after finding an cool thing at an estate auction - it is what he does. He wanted to come by and show me something he had never seen before. Honestly, I had never seen one either.

About the time my wife was trying to get her gear together and get to work, he shows up. So there were some greetings and pleasantries to accomplish.

Finally he ran back to his truck and brought out this custom, handmade wooden case with an eight string viola inside. It was all acoustic and had never been modified for electric use. I had never seen anything like it.

He wanted my assessment. I had no idea how to even try to tune it, so I went on line and found a number of eight string tunings to try. I could tell by just inspecting it that it was very well constructed. AND the hand carved case!! WOW, it was kind of unique.

The strings were horrid and needed to be changed, but once we got close to "in tune" it had a very warm throaty sound.
I am still amazed!

I showed him a website belonging to luthier in Nashville who might be able to help him assess its value. It was well beyond my experience.

Viola? I've seen a 6 string but never, ever an 8.

That sounds like one hell of a find. Wondering what the age is on it.

My "friend" got an immediate response to his first email to the guys in Nashville.

I had instructed him to take as many pics as possible, trying to get some light inside to reveal the bracing structure of the instrument. Details on the carving might be helpful, but they needed to see how it was built. I figured that if there was any interest they would ask for pics.

According to him, four emails in two hours and all his pics later, they say it might not be a viola, despite the fact it looks like a huge violin on the outside. It is probably a lute, not a viola.

Kind of a few popcorn days here and more to come, apparently.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10996 on: August 03, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
I have a friend that is a fair savant at classical piano. She's quite amazing although last time I visited her place, the piano was out of tune and so she wouldn't play it. I wonder how much it costs to get someone to come and tune it and how hard it is.

My friend got to meet the famous pianist, David Helfgott recently.

Of course there is the old joke about the world famous French pianist who had hired the world famous Greek piano tuner, Opernockady to tune his huge grand piano before a performance. Being dissatisfied with Opernockady's work the touchy French piano virtuoso insisted that he re-do his tuning.
After some discussion, the world famous piano tuner refuses and finally shouts, "OPERNOCKADY ONLY TUNES ONCE!!"
 :autism:

Piano tuning is not so difficult as it is time consuming.

It can be quite expensive to have someone come to your house to begin, then require silence and some time to do a decent job.
The other concern is on an older piano, the strings might be pure shit and may not be capable of being tuned.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10997 on: August 03, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
Nothing to do with being a savant. If you have perfect pitch, you will hear that the piano is out of tune. It's not necessarily horrible, it's just not right.

And yes, I have perfect pitch.

I do not have perfect pitch, but as an experienced "listener"  I can certainly tell when anything is out of tune.

As a rock sound guy, I got into more "fights"  (meaning hissy fits from others) trying to convince drummers that their drums were interfering with the bass. I had to actually show them how just a nip or a tuck here or there on their kit would make all the drum/bass accents just pound!!   ... whereas, without the tuning the drums would actually KILL the accent they were working toward.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:39:10 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10998 on: August 03, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »

This just strikes me as funny. Is it a penguin on vacation in Mexico?

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10999 on: August 04, 2018, 01:12:39 AM »
Between the boil the tap water alert, the current dust storm blowing through and the drought, Dad should be pondering moving back to the coast from Lightning Ridge where he is :P

It's dry enough out there even when there isn't a drought. I was in Lightning Ridge 30+ years ago for a few days, it felt a lot like the Wild West.

Is your Dad an opal miner?

No he just decided to spend the rest of his retirement out there. Only moved there in January. I went to visit him in April and was amazed at how barren it was in some parts on the drive there. And it's going to look even worse now!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11000 on: August 05, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »
Ugh. Another two hours before boarding starts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #11001 on: August 05, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
You're not here to foul up the US again, are you?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11002 on: August 05, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
Very troubling, indeed!!

I have heard reports of these things randomly going into incidental burst mode and releasing more than one straw per trigger press. Something must be done!

UPDATE:
Latest reports show that as they begin to fail they can often become jammed and the operator must cycle the trigger mechanism a number of times to clear a jam. No accounting as to how much damage is done by each successive trigger press, releasing multiple straws as the jam is being cleared.

Another note, the press has adopted a more descriptive nomenclature to describe this dangerous assault device, also noting the incredibly large capacity for its repeat use:
This is more properly called a Fully Semi-Automatic Assault Straw Dispenser.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:50:05 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11003 on: August 05, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
Bloody mother of FUCK!, my Dimroth condenser broke.
 life
It was keeping some bromine monochoride gas in containment, and it suddenly broke due to having to occasionally rotate the condensers in the silicone lubricant , had to run like fuck, since the damnable stuff causes most organics and plenty  organics catch fire  on contact, its bad news. Grab the mask and run for your bloody life sort of moment...damn that was hairy.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11004 on: August 05, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »

My beautiful doggy is sick.

Nothing different in his diet, nothing different in his environment, nothing, nothing different and yet, he is throwing up and choking.

Why does this shit always happen on a fucking Sunday!??!!! 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11005 on: August 05, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
DirtDawg - I hope he recovers quickly.  He sounds like a real jewel of a dog.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11006 on: August 05, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
My best efforts to "self diagnose" lead me to think that he has come in contact with a dog with a virus, Kind of like a doggy cold.

Hope I am right. Nothing more to be done except keeping him hydrated, which he is doing on his own.  If things do not get better by morning I plan to take him to our vet.

This little happy, energetic dog has become an anchor to our little part of the world. I love him SO much.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11007 on: August 06, 2018, 04:06:11 AM »
Moved posts:

Hoping I can get away with leaving them here in case she actually wanted to see what I "said"  to her. Seems like a giant wall of text, now.

Think every autism community has some parents who extremely suffer because of their children not being tekstbiok average children. Those people flock together. That leaves lots of space where they don't gather. There will probably be groups in the autism community where you would fit in and would feel at home. There are more people on the spectrum avoiding the "SUFFERING" parents like the plague.

Way back before I even had read enough to know what a pervasive developmental disorder was, I had my kid (son, now nineteen) "looked at" by two "professionals"  one of which suggested that he be properly "evaluated"  which represents the use a nonspecific term that would not get her into trouble if we pitched a fucking hissy fit about somebody saying that our son was not quite "stacked up right."
He did not interact with the other kids.

We could see that our son is who he is and smarter than an atomic whip, taught himself to read out of an an alphabet book when he was eighteen months old, phonetically, because I told him that not only did letters have names but they made sounds like animals do. A week later he was sounding out any grouping of letters he saw and NO ONE would believe us!!!

Anyway after showing this to the only one who suggested that our son be evaluated, she was ready to endanger her career and suggest a child psychologist to us.
Our reading and advanced education regarding the spectrum began that night after the first interview. That was in 2002.

Fast forward about a month and my wife and I are sitting in on a meeting of very sad parents who just want a cure and all have stories of how they are almost "there"  and other ridiculous crap. It was supposed to be supportive to all the newcomers like us, but we both just saw a bunch of pie in the sky, rose colored glasses types who were grasping at any straw that did not break when they placed their hopes in it.

Never went back to those people.

18 months old is very impressive. I'd probably be skeptical if I hadn't experienced similar with my son, although a little later (21 months).

I was trying to get him to shit in the toilet, instead of a diaper. Only thing I could think of to promote this "new" idea was to sit there with him with his favorite books until some "business" was done, evidenced by his turn of attention and his expressions.

He just did all the reading things on his own after I started with the sounds that letters make were like the sounds that animals make. He would not let me stop talking about the sounds that letters can make until we had gotten all the way through the alphabet in the first sitting.

Now the potty training took a few more tries.

On another note his little sister required no potty training at all. She just decided to shit in the toilet one day and away we went.

Oh, she was around eighteen months old and my wife and I were talking about it being about time to potty train her and looking at each other and so on.

Want another unbelievable story about an autistic genius?

My daughter did not talk until she was almost four years old, but she was smart in other ways.
She would point (a very specialized talent that my brilliant son did not understand fully until he was about twelve years old) and grunt, then hit something and point and kick something all the while grunting and pointing.

Now this behavior was not rewarded, because we wanted her to find words to use. Even if she just tried to imitate us, using a wrong word, just any word and we can work this through, right. Just use a word - !!!
Well, it happened slowly, but in the meantime she was taking note of everything else that happened when she banged on things and kicked things.

About a year old, most kids are trying to talk, but not her. Walking is a priority at that age and most are getting there. She was fine on all fours at a crawl for a while past when we were worried, but as I mentioned, she was watching things when she kicked and slammed things.

One day she wanted her hat which we had hung on my hatrack attached to the wall opposite her bedroom. I had my three cowboy hats - I keep a straw for daily wear in the sun, a brown formal for dress up and a black, I mean a black hat, No need to explain a black hat - I wear one sometimes. It also had several baseball caps and a few kid hats, including her favorite.

She sat and grunted for a bit, pointing, grunting,  but no words, no hat. Finally she gave up on me getting her hat for her and crawled into her room and slammed the door against the wall where the hatrack was, then raced back around, searched everywhere, then looked up, saw her hat still on the rack and crawled back into her room. So I shake my head thinking I can be stubborn, too.
Then she slams the door against the wall again, rips back to look for her hat. I had not yet figured this behavior out, but thinking it needed to be corrected I told her NO. She pursed her lips and crawled back into her room and really slammed the door against the wall knocking her hat off the rack.
Dashing back in, at a crawl mind you, she grabs her hat, puts it on and turns a defiant look at me that she still uses at seventeen. But it all came to me that instant. I did not have to correct this behavior; I needed to find a way the channel it, productively. Lots of luck with that shit!

Anyway, she had defined a geometric problem, including a physics element and solved it all on her own at about one year old.
As tired as I was at hearing her bash the wall with the door, I was very proud of her!

I mentioned pointing being a sort of specialized undertaking, considering the varying components brought to bear by using such a convoluted gesture to actually mean something indicative other than, "Hey, look at the end of my finger!"

But how about spitting?  Talk about a specialized undertaking!
It took a bit of trial and error and error ... to succeed.

Is that unique?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:17:05 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11008 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:59 AM »

BTW, that last part was an actual question to the entire party happy gaggle of sketchily functioning literates (I know. It is coffee time for most).

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11009 on: August 06, 2018, 07:48:12 AM »
Took me years and years to learn how to spit. Think I was already living on my own till I could master it a little bit. And I still have to think about it when I want to spit. I so envied my brother for his spitting talents. Shape, distance, speed, he could do it from the moment I realised people could spit. And he is younger than I am.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!