Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201393 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #10080 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
And warlock...lol where on earth did that one come from raxy? :P don't make me wave my magic wand over your head :P (oi, less of the sniggering back there, keep it where 'raxis can't hear us:autism:)

I wanted something that meant mad chemist, but calling you a mad scientist is kind of... banal. Low-hanging fruit. I wanted something that would evoke some mediaeval experimenter surrounded by esoteric beakers and vials, with shelves full of odd embalmed things and exotic ingredients. So I was thinking, there was no word for scientist then, hence wizard or warlock.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10081 on: July 25, 2017, 11:46:52 PM »
Alchemist?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10082 on: July 25, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »
Thinking about warlocks now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #10083 on: July 26, 2017, 05:13:08 AM »
Well doesn't the term 'warlock' come from 'waer loga', having the connotations of a renegade? I seem to remember something like that, old english perhaps, it sounds like old english or celtic-influenced roots in the language anyhow. Or possibly gaelic? not sure, although old english feels closest to the mark.

And that does rather, so to speak, conjure up, the feeling in my lab. And its owner. Perhaps just a wee bit on the naughty side, but all the same, homely and friendly (of course many of the chemicals are not particularly friendly if misapplied or mistreated). But there is much more than wizardry to hobby chemistry (although plenty of us sure have come up with some real stunning magic in terms of applications of scientific principles to our projects, you might like (this isn't me) on youtube,the videos of 'nurdrage' and 'nile red' in particular. Nurdrage is bloody brilliant. Before his discovery  of the use of 1,4-dioxane, conveniently made by distilling ethylene glycol antifreeze with concentrated sulfuric acid as a dehydration catalyst, to cyclize together two moles of the diol (glycol is the old but still widely used term for a diol, an alcohol having two -OH groups) into a ring structure with two oxygen atoms, one at each point connected to two carbons, which themselves form two-carbon bridges between the oxygens, for a 4-carbon ring bridged with 2 oxygen atoms, a cyclic ether of a high boiling point, for an ether at least of 101 'C (compare with dimethyl  ether, the simplest, which is a cryogenic liquefied gas stored under pressure and evaporates at ambient temperature and pressure, boiling off rapidly, like butane does, diethyl ether the most common perhaps of the etherial solvents, boiling point somewhere in the 30s ('C) range, and the similarly (although somewhat higher) boiling THF (tetrahydrofuran) another cyclic ether solvent that unlike diethyl ether is miscible with water, but when perfectly dried, makes the perfect solvent for many reactions involving very, very strong bases that simply could not exist in an aqueous environment, and thus ideal for sensitive organometallic reactions like Grignard reactions. Got 2.5 liters of the stuff in my fridge atm:) Need to restock on diethyl and diisopropyl ether though, or buy some cheap alcohol (not drinking grade) and distill my own, using the same sulfuric acid dehydration technique to condense two molecules of ethanol with loss of H2O and forming an oxygen bridge between them, by dripping in fairly dry ethanol into 95-98% conc. sulfuric acid at a temperature of about 115 'C to 120 'C or so, not letting it go above 150 or else the result is further dehydration and elimination to the alkene, in this case ethylene (alkenes are hydrocarbons with one or more points of unsaturation (double bonds) or formation of the highly toxic diethyl sulfate, a powerful alkylating agent, and accordingly both mutagenic and very poisonous. Although very useful too) and distilling off the ether as it forms (there are other routes but this way allows for forgoing similarly toxic alkylating agents like methyl iodide, which are expensive to buy and expensive to make, what with the atomic weight of iodine being as high as it is, and again carcinogenic, mutagenic and poisonous, and it allows you to do it using concentrated sulfuric acid of dyed, drain-cleaner grade and still get clean ether from it, or dyed, bitrex-tainted antifreeze and still get dioxane)

And nurdrage came up with this brilliant way of doing something like a thermite reaction, using caustic alkali hydroxides, like sodium hydroxide/caustic soda (NaOH) with magnesium, to form a reactive, but cement-like slag aggregate, grinding it up in a blender then boiling it under dioxane, liberating the sodium metal, which just starts coalescing together in big rounded globules, bringing cheap, readily available sodium to the masses, where before many many hobby chemists couldn't or had difficulty buying it from chemical companies, and had to resort to electrolysis of molten caustic baths at very carefully controlled temperatures, or molten salt baths giving off lots of chlorine gas too which has to be kept away from the forming sodium (or it gets very violent very quickly, especially at the 800-odd degrees that it has to to keep salt molten, with lots of electrical resistance wire to heat it, and circuit design, building the cells to do it in and obtaining high temperature insulation that won't break down, plus vessels to perform the electrolysis in that will tolerate the likes of molten caustic soda, or not far off a thousand degrees of heat, electric currents and capturing the molten sodium (it is reactive enough when at room temperature but handlable. At 300 degrees, it'll explode half a second or so after contacting air and fly across the room in a jet of molten metal trailling behind and flames with a loud CRACK! noise and shower of sparks (for a blob about a third the size of a pea) whilst the hot, and violently oxidizing, reactive chlorine gas also has to have a use found for it, or else be neutralized at least before disposal if you can't find something to do with it (such as pump it through very hot but not quite boiling aqueous caustic soda or potassium hydroxide solution, forming the useful oxidizers sodium and potassium chlorate, respectively, or after cooling the Cl2 stream down first, into COLD hydroxide solution to give hypochlorites (sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl being what is commonly used in household bleaches, the kind poured down the bog that has that nasty sickly sweet stench to it) [for some reason I particularly loathe the smell of hypochlorite, its revolting, turns my stomach)

Nurdrage's method avoids the chlorine (unless you build a cell instead and do it with finicky electrolytic methods, although its always great fun to see people's DIY-ed electrolysis cells for various processes take shape and get built, since each is the pet of the chemist who built it, and its always entirely personal, unique, I kinda consider them a work of art as well as science, what with everything from hacked PC power supplies to flower-pots and steel pipes, all manner of coils and tubes and wires and circuitry. Its one of the things I've always thought shows off the individual's style in one of the best ways, the way it inherently puts the individual's own stamp on the process)

The nurdrage process obviates all the difficulties with electrolytic routes though and allows the work to be done in hours, rather than spending weeks or more likely months designing, buying parts for, building, begging, hacking parts for a cell. And even a 10-year old with the process written down on paper could do it, although of course working with dioxane they best pay attention to peroxidation tendency (storing over some sodium destroys them as they are formed though and keeps the ethers dry too) and to wearing a gas mask, since dioxane is carcinogenic somewhat. But still, even an NT kid could do it at that age.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10084 on: July 26, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
Late morning naps are the best.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10085 on: July 26, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
Quiet and putting some of my worries to someone else is wonderful
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10086 on: July 26, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
I shouldn't have gone into the barn but I wanted to see who the new arrivals were in quarantine (donkeys) but I'm allergic to hay. Both eyes are swollen and I've had to use my inhalers but yet, still worth it.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #10087 on: July 26, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
Wish I could take naps during the day, I'm thinking now (more often so I do). I tried lots of times but either I fail going into the dream-like-state (and stay awake) and then my physical being is worse off or I go there and..

Doesn't bring much positive 'news', naps do, here..

*thinking*
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #10088 on: July 26, 2017, 04:32:51 PM »
Wish I could take naps during the day, I'm thinking now (more often so I do). I tried lots of times but either I fail going into the dream-like-state (and stay awake) and then my physical being is worse off or I go there and..

Doesn't bring much positive 'news', naps do, here..

*thinking*
Don't often nap, but usually regret it; wake up feeling grumpy.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10089 on: July 26, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
Yeah me too, I feel kind of ill and off for several hours afterwards.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10090 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
I'm the opposite. I feel far better but it has to be at least 45 mins. If it's less I have a hangover feeling.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10091 on: July 26, 2017, 10:34:26 PM »
I had an hour's nap the other day, woke up feeling fine.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10092 on: July 26, 2017, 11:49:01 PM »
I'd like to nap now. It's morning. :yawn:

I don't actually really like to do it, tbh, even though it happens. It tends to mess up my sleep later.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10093 on: July 27, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
Thinking about what the girlie said earlier: I hate it when you don't feel well and you're a foodie because you have no appetite and usually you love to eat all the things.

True story, kid :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10094 on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:37 PM »
Food is about the last thing on my mind right now.

- Albert Einstein