Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201704 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #9465 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:23 AM »
Sod it, I'll clean it properly. Need to get diluted bleach or something. HATE CLEANING. But it's way better than a dirty place.

That's the spirit!  Mold begone!  :roar:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #9466 on: February 12, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
Sod it, I'll clean it properly. Need to get diluted bleach or something. HATE CLEANING. But it's way better than a dirty place.

:thumbup:
:dog:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9467 on: February 12, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »

:thumbup:

Then you can post in my HOUSEPROUD thread in Elders if you like!  :sweep:

People forget.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9468 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
I haven't done it yet! I'm going to start tomorrow nice and early. Gonna get up at 5am or something, like I did today.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9469 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
I haven't done it yet! I'm going to start tomorrow nice and early. Gonna get up at 5am or something, like I did today.

I need to start pretty soon, as it's only afternoon here, so much to be done!  :GA:

People forget.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9470 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
It's 5:43pm here, and it's dark outside. It will be dark early in the morning tomorrow, but I can use the washing machine first for the clothing and stuff that touched some of the mould. I mean, it isn't even noticeable, I'm just a mould hater. And when you read articles like this:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/How-do-I-get-rid-of-damp-and-mould.aspx

It basically says you need to wear goggles, a mouth and nose mask, long gloves and...it just looks ridiculous. I mean, I'm going to wear disposable gloves, but I'm not going to bother with the mouth mask and goggles because I mean FFS, lots of people live with black mould everywhere and I think they're insane and gross...but they don't seem to get ill. This place is (relatively) clean. That's the only mould I can see, which was a mistake from a scrunched up wet bag in the corner. There's mould around the windows, but this place has single glazing and condensation forms on the windows and I have to air them everyday, and wipe them down until they're bone dry. And they still get mouldy. I only ever touch them with disposable gloves and kitchen roll and then throw it all away. I don't touch anything else with them. Pfft, mouth masks and goggles indeed. ;)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9471 on: February 12, 2017, 11:56:56 AM »
Have I applied for the Crazy Cat Lady Club?  I bought a 17 lb bag of cat food.  I only have 2 cats - Martha and Pete.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9472 on: February 12, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
Have I applied for the Crazy Cat Lady Club?  I bought a 17 lb bag of cat food.  I only have 2 cats - Martha and Pete.

If you buy it, they will come.  :flo: :kitten:  :cat:

People forget.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #9473 on: February 12, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »
Now I feel like cleaning some stuff.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9474 on: February 12, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
Now I feel like cleaning some stuff.  :orly:

Stay out of the way of my ferocious broom!

:gopher: :sweep:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9475 on: February 12, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Justcurious, I'd just go with a disposable mask and nowt else, rubber kitchen gloves if you feel like it wouldn't be a terrible idea. MSDS I bet? Most MSDS-es make things as innocuous as water out to be the next novichok agent.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9476 on: February 13, 2017, 02:10:59 AM »
Material Safety Data Sheet? Do you mean from the internet?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9477 on: February 13, 2017, 05:26:12 AM »
With chemicals and the likes of mixtures of chemicals for household or industrial use etc. They have what is called a material safety data sheet, or for short, the MSDS for that product. The MSDS gives the composition of the chemical or mixture, and the safety procedures to be followed in case all goes to hell in a handbasket.

They are not without their uses, but on the other hand they are infamous for panic-mongering and often make out the chemical or mixture to be an awful lot worse than it actually is in practice.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiZnpWl84zSAhXHJ8AKHV3TBdcQFgghMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencelab.com%2Fmsds.php%3FmsdsId%3D9924998&usg=AFQjCNEDFewVMzaSxvbs4DIIvT59p99d1w&bvm=bv.146786187,d.bGg&cad=rja

That for example is the first MSDS I found for NaOH (sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, lye) and they go so far as to reccomend self-contained oxygen supplied breathing equipment in case of a spill. And warn against the likes of contact with chlorine trifluoride (ClF3 is about the most vicious, brutal chemical I've ever heard of. I've seen it SET FIRE to a BRICK. Literally, the brick burst into flame on contact with a dilute stream of the vaporized ClF3. It eats glass like hydrofluoric acid, is a most powerful oxidizer, and generally speaking, there aren't many things that WON'T spontaneously ignite on contact. I've heard tell of an industrial spill where ClF3 got loose and it burnt through a meter of gravel under at minimum, several feet of concrete before the spilled chlorine trifluoride stopped burning halfway to china, so to speak. So warning of a violent reaction is pretty much as useful as telling somebody that if you kick a tiger in the balls you can expect to get your arms and legs ripped off:P)

There are a few special nickel-based alloys IIRC that will stand up to completely dry ClF3, I think iridium metal might do too, possibly vitrified carbon glass. Not sure about the latter two, and if iridium gets corroded or burnt by something, you have a fairly good idea its by something vicious as hell. About the only things its touched by at all are molten, fuzed caustic alkali metal hydroxides and molten cyanide salts. Possibly by chlorine gas at >500 'C, and it can be set fire to in extremely fine dust form,  otherwise if you want to protect something, an Ir electroplating will probably do the job for near enough anything. I'd love me a set of iridium based crucibles, since its so incredibly resistant to chemical attack, out of my price range though currently.

But I've been offered a job, of sorts, by a fellow chemical hobbyist with a youtube channel that he makes synthesis videos and earns some via advertising. Something like 200 dollars per video, plus 20 for each view. Wants me to come up with interesting syntheses of reagents and biologicals.

That sounds like a free lunch to me. Get paid and paid decently for things I'd do anyway. Why the hell not. Been thinking of potential good syntheses to d for it. Violet phosphorus sounds good, I've wanted to do it for ages and now I can get red P or white P cheaply and have more than enough to experiment and see how I can grow the best crystals, aiming for large, single crystals.

The process involves boiling elemental phosphorus in molten lead for a little less than 24 hours then dissolving the lead away with nitric acid leaving behind an allotropic form of phosphorus known as violet or Hittorf's phosphorus. AFAIK its fairly unreactive chemically and is not pyrophoric. I've heard rumours that its also possible to vitrify phosphorus resulting in a grey glass.

Plus references to other, very poorly known phosphorus allotropes produced by some rather extreme methods, such as quenching superheated diphosphorus (P2, white P is P4, and dissociates into a dimeric form that is only stable in the vapor phase, whilst red P is a polymer consisting of long, puckered chains and violet P/Hittorf's phosphorus is IIRC similar, but a separate allotrope due to different expression of the type of deformation of the linear P chains)

So more or less, vaporizing white phosphorus in an inert environment under dry argon, and pushing the vapor through a heating system then dumping it in liquid nitrogen. Which sounds rather potentially violent and messy. Still, I'd love to see the result. Since most information is available on red, white and black phosphorus. With a little on the less well known violet P and Schlenk's scarlet phosphorus, produced by prepicitation from phosphorus tribromide, and which may simply be an ultra-finely divided form of red P, not sure on that.

Still, looks like I've got a lot of fun to be had, and potentially actually get PAID for it too. Which sounds good. One video would double my income over about a week and a half.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9478 on: February 13, 2017, 06:05:08 AM »
There probably isn't an MSDS for mold, and that's what Justcurious was discussing, a website's suggested personal safety precautions against mold spores while cleaning mold. Good luck on the new job, Lestat.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9479 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:54 AM »
Its not exactly an official job, a salaried employment position. But rather, I'd be paid on the quiet for the job done, plus another $20 for every view of the video. Guy has a large and extensive channel.

That and coming up with syntheses the channel owner who does the videos can then do and video himself. And I'd far sooner be paid under the table, so to speak, anyway. Nice and quiet and un-taxed and that wouldn't affect my benefits. Cash wired to one of those prepaid credit cards, bitcoin or something like that.

Only thing we need to work out now is what sort of sytheses he hasn't already done and videoed. My first idea was one I've done before, CrO2Cl2, or chromyl chloride, along with pyridinium chlorochromate, its one of the Etard reagents, and the Etard reaction is pretty neat in that it will oxidize an alcohol to an aldehyde whilst stopping at R-CHO without further oxididation to the carboxylic acid, R-COOH, quite astonishing considering that CrO2Cl2 is a VICIOUS oxidizer that spontaneously sets fire to many organics and is incompatible with most solvents, chloroform, CH2Cl2 or carbon tetrachloride are pretty much the only acceptable, non-exotic solvents the Etard reagent will tolerate. But say, oxidation of the OTC benzyl alcohol distilled from commonly available degreasers, floor cleaners etc. to benzaldehyde without overoxidation to benzoic acid would be fantastic. Especially considering people would love facile routes to benzaldehyde given its a  common amphetamine precursor (Knoevanagel rxn with nitroethane, benzaldehyde and an amine base in glacial acetic acid results in a condensation that yields an intermediate beta-nitroprop-2-ene, reduction of this can give either 1-phenyl-propan-2-one that can be reductively aminated to give methamphetamine, or can  be directly reduced with the likes of LiAlH4 to amphetamine, or to an aldol type product if that was desired by dissolving transition metal/acid type reductions in the presence of a lewis acid such as FeCl3. Apparently zinc metal dust and hydrochloric acid give good yields directly of 'phet from  the intermediate beta-nitropropene. Works for ring-substituted phenethylamines too, as well as ring-substituted psychedelic amphetamines if, for the phenethylamines, nitroethane be substituted with nitromethane, nitromethane condensation with a benzaldehyde gives a substituted beta-nitrostyrene (nitro-vinylbenzene) and reduction of these using LAH, certain dissolving metal/acid reductions or catalytic hydrogenation to reduce the double bond of the nitrostyrene and then reduction of the nitro  group to the amine gives the desired product.

The intermediate nitroalkenes are easily worked up too, being insoluble in ice-cold H2O. So all thats needed is to allow the reaction mixture to cool to room temperature, pack ice around the rxn vessel then salt it, adding some methylated spirits or antifreeze and it'll cool right down, then throw it onto cracked ice chunks, results in an instant solidification of the nitroalkenes as pale yellow crystals with hints usually of a pumpkin-orange byproduct, that is easily removed  by H2O washing with ice-cold water followed by recrystallizing the nitrostyrenes/nitropropenes from dry isopropanol, or even MeOH/EtOH, which, followed by another H2O wash does a nearr perfect job of  removing the (usually fairly modest in quantity compared with the nitroalkenes, depennding on the substituted benzaldehyde used as well as the base.Some substrates work better with some bases than others. Triethylenetetramine, recystallized  from certain two-part epoxy kits (as the hardener compound portion) and used as the freebase seems to work excellently with at least substituted aldehydes of the 2,5-dimethoxy-4-substituted pattern where the 4' phenyl carbon bears an electron-donating substituent such as an alkyl or alkyl ether. Certainly, TETA works a treat for 2,5-dimethoxy-4-lower alkyl benzaldehydes, such as 4-methyl. Only a tiny orange halo of pumpkin orange byproduct. Rextyl'n from boiling isopropanol eliminates that completely.

The Etard reagent, CrO2Cl2 is made by distilling a mixture of sodium dichromate or potassium dichromate (1 mol), common table salt (NaCl, 4 mol per mole of dichromate) then addition of 6 moles of concentrated sulfuric acid (H2SO4, 6 mol per mol dichromate) after first thoroughly mixing the dichromate and the salt, slow addition of the conc. H2SO4 (98% acid works) and then distillation and collection of the distillate that starts to come over at 117 'C. Addition of the sulfuric should be slow, and the reagents anhydrous, or at least well-dried, baking the shite out of the table salt in the oven first prior to use in the synth, isn't a bad idea. And storage of the dichromate in a dessicator over anhydrous CaCl2 isn't either. The collection flask must be equipped with an efficient condensor with a drying tube packed with a dessicant on top, in order to exclude air and moisture. Preferably running with a salted ice-methylated spirits-water mixture through the condensor, since this powerful electrophillic oxidizer is moisture sensitive and it fumes in air, its a volatile liquid, looks rather like bromine, dark orange-ruddy reddish brown, which fumes in air and reacts VIOLENTLY with water. And on many substrates if applied neatly, such as for instance, to sulfur, it will start a fire, so efficient protection of the collection flask is vital. As is making sure not to allow either water vapor to enter the collection flask, or the CrO2Cl2 vapours to escape into the atmosphere, since hexavalent chromium, Cr(VI) is toxic and probably carcinogenic. This fuming, volatile, vicious wee bugger of an oxidizing agent is nasty stuff, but it IS damn useful, because selective oxidation of an alcohol to an aldehyde is rather a difficult synthetic transformation to pull off. A similar although not identical complex with pyridine, pyridinium chlorochromate or PCC is quite a bit safer as an Etard reagent. Never made PCC, but apparently it can be made by adding a solution of pyridinium chloride in ice-cold concentrated hydrochloric acid to solid chhromium trioxide with stirring. AFAIK its a solid, and doesn't give off the highly corrosive and at best, pretty damn poisonous, toxic fumes that CrO2Cl2 does.

I'm thinking I need to buy myself some pyridine, since its a reagent currently I lack. Its nasty shit, it stinks something foul and is somewhat toxic. Widely voted on one hobby chemist forum as one of the absolute top few or very worst of all the filthy stenches of any chemical. Smells like rotting fish and dead, decaying flesh. Only worse. You might know the smell actually since pyridine is often added in traces to denatured alcohol to add warning properties and render it utterly undrinkable. Apparently a single drop in a liter or so of alcohol makes it a truly gutwrenching stinker. But PCC is safer, than chromyl chloride and the potential youtube business fella has done a large-scale synthesis and distillation of chromyl chloride already. Not sure if he's done anything like PCC or N-alkylpyridinium chlorochromates such as butylpyridinium chlorochromate. And I have everything I need at least, for the preparation of chromyl chloride. Just need to get round to distilling some chloroform in which to use the reagent without the solvent bursting into flames and drying it, stabilizing the chloroform with a little alcohol and NaHCO3 to prevent it decomposing slowly in storage, because otherwise over time it can produce phosgene gas, which is absolutely terrifyingly deadly toxic. And there is no antidote. One breath and your dead man walking if there is enough present. Or smaller amounts over time can cumulatively fatally poison the unfortunate victim. Accidentally formed once, it almost got me. Luckily for me I recognized the odour of it, and instantly masked up and began decontamination procedures, going outside to breathe, even with the mask on, Because with phosgene in a lethal exposure, which can occur in minutes with even small quantities, you just do not get a second chance. And its known to penetrate at least some masks. Was used in the days of the world wars as a replacement for chlorine gas, since it would go straight through masks of the time intended for protection against Cl2 (I actually find chlorine, although smelling pretty nasty, to be fairly tame, and easily usable in syntheses without its escaping to the environment, its quite reactive but by no means all too difficult to handle.as a gas. Although I've never had to use it in a cryogenic liquid state, which for a few chemistry procedures is done rather than using  gaseous chlorine. Its handy as a gas because it replaces either iodine in iodides or bromine from ionic bromide salts (such as sodium, or potassium bromides) to liberate free elemental iodine or bromine. And both I2 and Br2 are volatile and a shitbag to store. I2 has this nasty tendency to pass through the walls of containers slowly and vaporize away. And Br2 is worse, and needs storage in glass amps that are sealed totally from the environment, Fumes like a fucking bastard to give hydrogen bromide gas/vapours of hydrobromic acid on contact with the airborne water vapor. And Cl2 is easily generated whenever it is desired by oxidizing hydrochloric acid either with manganese dioxide (obtainable from batteries), faster than MnO2 oxidation is oxidizing concentrated hydrochloric using potassium permanganate, or theres always the option that uses the least quantities of least valuable reagents, more or less none in fact. Electrolytic production of Cl2 from table salt. Rate controllable simply by regulation of the current and voltage from the power supply. And if needs be, if producing Cl2 at a low rate, flushing the supply lines with argon to push the chlorine through a  solution of the easily stored, tame as can be potassium or sodium iodide/bromides thus allowing for production of elemental iodine or bromine upon desire just before it is to be made use of, this negating the otherwise pain in the arse of storing either.  Just keep the iodide or bromide, and pass Cl2 through same, under water, ideally done as a solution of the bromide or iodide salt, upon which the desired halogen falls out to the bottom as either liquid bromine, or solid I2. In the case of bromine, it then needs cooling as much as possible and drying over anhydrous CaBr2, the cooling being to reduce fuming, after tapping off the bromine layer from the water in the recieving flask, or for iodine, drying by squeezing in bog roll then sublimation and resublimation to dry and purify it. The Br2 can also be distilled if needed, carefully mind you, as Br2 being a liquid, unlike Cl2 or solid iodine will cause severe burns upon contact with skin. I know someone who was bitten by bromine and she ended up in hospital. Whereas momentary skin contact with chlorine gas is nothing worse than irritant at worse, I've never even noticed any problems  from its touching unbroken skin, and iodine just needs handling like a rather hot bit of food in the hand, moving it from place to place, this way it can, although the less the better, be handled without burning, although it does instantaneously cause a brownish black discoloration of the skin, or if touching clothing made from natural fiber, at least cotton, it WILL burn holes in it and they will forevermore be dark violet black. Iodine does not play well with clothing. Got a labcoat (well it is one now) that got iodinated years ago and its never shown the slightest degree of losing the discoloration.