Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201377 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #8760 on: August 12, 2016, 05:58:15 AM »
Insert a gopher picture in the middle of your PowerPoint (if you're using that) and at your presentation express surprise at it being there...

Every PowerPoint presentation would be improved by the addition of a pop-up gopher!  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8761 on: August 12, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »
Gophers are very PowerPoint-friendly. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8762 on: August 12, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
Insert a gopher picture in the middle of your PowerPoint (if you're using that) and at your presentation express surprise at it being there...

I like that idea! Maybe I'll use it.

:2thumbsup:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8763 on: August 12, 2016, 07:45:58 PM »
If it's an audience participation type presentation, try throwing Hershey Kisses at the attendees who respond.  You would be surprised how candy driven CPAs are.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8764 on: August 12, 2016, 09:16:01 PM »

Four out of five doctors agree, gophers make everything a little better.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8765 on: August 13, 2016, 03:06:26 AM »

Four out of five doctors agree, gophers make everything a little better.  :zoinks:

What does the fifth say? :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #8766 on: August 13, 2016, 03:53:56 AM »
Off to bed for the night. I am imagining Odeon still can not back himself. It would be a Hell of a step to do that. I think it is beyond him nowdays. Far from where he was a few years ago.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8767 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »
Thinking about music.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8768 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:06 PM »

What does the fifth say? :zoinks:

I'm pretty sure that one's a quack.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8769 on: August 15, 2016, 12:24:28 AM »
Thinking about my garage cinema.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8770 on: August 15, 2016, 01:03:13 AM »
Pondering how to go about it best, but theres one particular large, well-formed chunk of I2 in my order that would be ideal for display purposes in an element collection (iodine, obviously, THIS festering den of iniquity is not going up on my lab wall haha), its volatile of course, so sealing it in a glass ampoule under argon would be the obvious, but, I'd sooner it retained its original form if I do. Never actually seen it before take the form of solid rounded but pitted boulders like this stuff came in. I usually buy it in flakes, and if I make it from iodides then its sublimed to purify it, and takes the form of..well..fluffy looking tiny crystals. I can only think of a built in coolant system using a computer fan, and something similar for storing other unstable or volatile elements, such as white tin, and the yellow allotrope of arsenic (analogous to white phosphorus), as well as the odd, and possibly unstorable explosive antimony, an strange allotrope of antimony prepared via electrolysis of antimony trichloride at antimony electrodes, or something similar, forget the exact route, but it detonates when subjected to friction.

Been wanting to go the whole hog so to speak and build a really nice looking periodic table-layout case, everything from hydrogen to maybe, neptunium. (via neutron bombardment of a very thin layer of depleted uranium to transmute it through 239Pu and thence to neptunium. Or perhaps a higher cutoff, whenever stability becomes too poor for stable safely storable isotopes. Thinking first targets will be the semimetals, as they lie roughly in the middle, saving IMO polonium for the last of them, then technetium for the last of the transitions. Although polonium samples aren't too hard to obtain.  (insert russian spy gallows humor here)

Iodine and sulfur can start of course, as these are already sitting on the shelf, then Cl2, as that I can knock a sample of up, dry it and seal it in a gas discharge tube in no time. Been eyeing up some rather attractively priced rhenium and iridium too, $20-something a gram, powder, meaning I can save most of both for precious metal catalysts:D Can already sort platinum, silver and palladium, the former two as the metals and palladium through reduction of palladium dichloride.

Phosphorus I think will be next, as there are so many different forms of the element to nail down. Black phosphorus (both of them) IMO will be hard, if even possible, those I MAY have to buy. Since the synthesis from white phosphorus requires both intense heat and great pressure.

IF its possible to store, one thing I plan to try is to clean the oxide surface layer off willy pete with a chromic acid/concentrated sulfuric bath, which when melted and stirred under the strongly oxidizing cleansing bath, will burn up the P2O5 layer that gives it the usual white color. Seen a pic just after someone did it, and he got it damn near clear as glass. But UV tends to cause rewhitening. Thinking clean it, dry it, then ampoule under dry inert gas, in a tube of some kind of glass that blocks UV even more effectively than soda-lime glass, to see if it can be stored clear, prevented from reoxidizing. Got a little P to start with, so I don't have to build a plasma arc furnace and do a nasty messy carbothermic reduction and get P2O5 smoke everythehellwhere. Because if theres one thing phossy does well its SMOKE like crazy when ignited.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:18:31 AM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #8771 on: September 03, 2016, 01:00:45 AM »
Why can't I sleep?
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8772 on: September 03, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »
Thinking I need to check in in an hour or so.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #8773 on: September 04, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »
Tomorrow will mark my 8th anniversary on here. Funny how I started on here right after my birthday back in 2008. Not funny is that my Mum died less than two months after I joined here.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8774 on: September 04, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
Time to fire up the still pot. Ice bath is ready, condenser set up, goods in flask ready to be distilled over and condensed in the receiving flask.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.