Educational

Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201376 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #6930 on: May 14, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
Wondering what the ratio is of sleeve tattoos just because the person getting them thinks they're a good idea vs. sleeve tattoos to cover up track marks.

Shit, I never even thought of that possibility.  I really am naive.  :tard:
You probably just spend less time around junkies than I do.   :laugh:

True.  My life has always been sheltered.  An older friend of mine, who traveled widely
  when younger and used to work as a bartender, sometimes just smiles and shakes her head at me.  :laugh:

We must expose you to the world. Ask Lestat for some advice on chemicals to try. :thumbup:

This Weeble :cbc: is already wobbly enough!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #6931 on: May 14, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Sleepy Hollow is a dumb show.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6932 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:08 PM »
Fucking annoyed, me. Can't be arsed to look up the proper thread.

Hmm. Maybe I should.

Which thread are you looking for? :dunno:

That venting thread for elders.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6933 on: May 15, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »
Odeon,  I would really like your input on my new design.
I have been doing this for quite a while, now, but I respect your knowledge of things physical.

Can you imagine two large (dual eighteens) drivers each facing a kind of static pressure field, tempered by teardrop shaped (like used for high frequency drivers to align the outside of the diaphragm with the inner curve of the moving mass) cone supporting complimentary shapes, quite the opposite of what HF diaphragms need. 
Low frequency drivers just need to remain in piston motion; no sideways motion, ever, just pure piston motion.

Low frequency moving masses need to be supported on both sides, right and on all moving surfaces, right?

So I have a really tight back support and a kind of pressure related support on the driving side, just like the compensation afforded HF drivers to keep phase aligned.  But here, we are not worried about phase (wave lengths are more than ten times the cone widths) we are trying to keep the cones performing as true pistons. My old JBL guy told me to give it up.

I have just re-invented the wheel.

WTF!!

A difference in phase would still give you overtones, wouldn't it? But other than that, I seem to recall that Bose did something similar with a sub design for cinemas. Or rather, they tried to. AFAIK, they're not in that business anymore.

Are you attempting crowd control like they did in the 60s? :P
The entire plan I have not yet shown.

I know that Bose, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Danly, and Showo have all tried to control a high volume low-frequency driver using pressure on each side of the cone.

What I have come up with is a "way"  where the first order anomalies are mostly eliminated before they begin to propagate.

Yeah, I am making a "GIANT"  subwoofer, possibly capable of "crowd control,"  as you suggested. I am more interested in its value as an extreme output device in the lower two octaves of human hearing.

Something a band owner would want. Something musical.
I will show you my three chambered device when I have a working model.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6934 on: May 15, 2014, 06:28:50 AM »

Hmm. Maybe I should.

Link
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6935 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:34 AM »

Hmm. Maybe I should.

Link

Thanks. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6936 on: May 15, 2014, 06:54:17 AM »
I have been doing this for quite a while, now, but I respect your knowledge of things physical.

Can you imagine two large (dual eighteens) drivers each facing a kind of static pressure field, tempered by teardrop shaped (like used for high frequency drivers to align the outside of the diaphragm with the inner curve of the moving mass) cone supporting complimentary shapes, quite the opposite of what HF diaphragms need. 
Low frequency drivers just need to remain in piston motion; no sideways motion, ever, just pure piston motion.

Low frequency moving masses need to be supported on both sides, right and on all moving surfaces, right?

So I have a really tight back support and a kind of pressure related support on the driving side, just like the compensation afforded HF drivers to keep phase aligned.  But here, we are not worried about phase (wave lengths are more than ten times the cone widths) we are trying to keep the cones performing as true pistons. My old JBL guy told me to give it up.

WTF!!

A difference in phase would still give you overtones, wouldn't it? But other than that, I seem to recall that Bose did something similar with a sub design for cinemas. Or rather, they tried to. AFAIK, they're not in that business anymore.

I know that Bose, JBL, Cerwin Vega, Danly, and Showo have all tried to control a high volume low-frequency driver using pressure on each side of the cone.

What I have come up with is a "way"  where the first order anomalies are mostly eliminated before they begin to propagate.

Yeah, I am making a "GIANT"  subwoofer, possibly capable of "crowd control,"  as you suggested. I am more interested in its value as an extreme output device in the lower two octaves of human hearing.

It should be pretty awesome if you can make it work as intended.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6937 on: May 17, 2014, 04:38:08 AM »

WTF!!

It should be pretty awesome if you can make it work as intended.

With three vented chambers powered by two drivers it will be a twelfth order device and as you probably know, bandpass in its response. Not very many of those around, really.

With all the buzz over tapped horn design, most are still trying to make those things work. But, no one has done so like Tom Danley has.
Danley's Tapped Horn IS also a bandpass device.
 :police:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6938 on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
This is hard and a lot of effort

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6939 on: May 18, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »
Thinking I need to get back on track with my garage theatre.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6940 on: May 18, 2014, 05:10:02 AM »

:pirateship:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6941 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »

A garage theater sounds badass, like a garage band!   :rock:

People forget.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6942 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »
Missed the bus. :/ thought it was at the same time as yesterday, forgot the sunday schedule changes.

WHY does the schedule have to change THREE times. One time for weekdays, one time for saturdays, and one time for sundays :/

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6943 on: May 18, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
Missed the bus. :/ thought it was at the same time as yesterday, forgot the sunday schedule changes.

WHY does the schedule have to change THREE times. One time for weekdays, one time for saturdays, and one time for sundays :/

It's that way in my city too.  The buses run less often on weekends because there is apparently less need
   for them then.  Even on weekdays a lot of the buses are nearly empty, so it makes business sense for the bus
   companies to run them less often.  Sad, but true.  I'm thinking again about getting my driver's license.  *sigh*  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6944 on: May 18, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »

It's that way in my city too.  The buses run less often on weekends because there is apparently less need
   for them then.  Even on weekdays a lot of the buses are nearly empty, so it makes business sense for the bus
   companies to run them less often.  Sad, but true.  I'm thinking again about getting my driver's license.  *sigh*  :apondering:

I don't have a license. Sometimes I think I should get one too...