Author Topic: Post what you are thinking right now, part two  (Read 201376 times)

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
Re: Post what you are thinking right now, part two
« Reply #6825 on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
What am I doing with my life?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6826 on: April 20, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
Tonight I do not like Steve Negrete.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6827 on: April 20, 2014, 07:29:01 PM »
more coffee cant hurt

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6828 on: April 20, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »
I'll be pressing the button soon.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6829 on: April 20, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
I'll be pressing the button soon.

Jack is a button pusher too.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6830 on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
I don't wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6831 on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:38 AM »
Do you get the same approximate results if you run tracert several times against the same address?

Looks like it. I tried Isquared three times and each time it started out under 30, then jumped up to 70's, then 90's, and finally request timed out.

What results should I be getting?

There's also a strange issue whenever I try to upload a file - three out of four times the file will come out 0k. I've been trying to do website updates and I have to manually upload each file one by one because uploading a group, they'll all fail. Sometimes image files cut off in the middle.

There's no way to tell exactly what results you should be getting with a traceroute, unfortunately. It depends on lots of different things. Basically, you want as few hops as possible, consistency, and responses as short as possible. If you have few hops but one or two that always approach a second, you are in as much trouble as with a long series of hops that use 50 milliseconds each.

But given the upload issue you mention, I wonder if the problem is closer to you than that.

Are you behind a router at home? The upload problem reminds me of a router I used to own that was misbehaving. Basically, the problem was that it tried to take on too large packages up- or downstream and choked about halfway through.

Most routers have a setting for this, hidden somewhere within the config pages. It's called MPU and the default is usually around 1500.

I experimented with lowering the value to around 1200, which helped.

If your router is something like a Netgear or DLink, or the cheaper Linksys models for home use, the problem might also be caused by the router breaking down. Overheating problems can cause this, as can a power supply about to fail.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6832 on: April 21, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
Thinking a casual mention that I have a boyfriend is probably all I need to make this guy stop pestering me, and probably never to contact me again ever otherwise.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6833 on: April 21, 2014, 08:24:47 PM »
I have one of those right now. (Guys who will disappear never ever to be seen again the instant I name-drop my partner.) It's annoying because he could be a useful contact otherwise.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6834 on: April 21, 2014, 08:27:52 PM »
Are you behind a router at home? The upload problem reminds me of a router I used to own that was misbehaving. Basically, the problem was that it tried to take on too large packages up- or downstream and choked about halfway through.

Most routers have a setting for this, hidden somewhere within the config pages. It's called MPU and the default is usually around 1500.

If your router is something like a Netgear or DLink, or the cheaper Linksys models for home use, the problem might also be caused by the router breaking down. Overheating problems can cause this, as can a power supply about to fail.

WolFish found the setting, but it doesn't seem to be editable. What you said here makes me think we're just going to need a new router. This climate (hot and wet) is hell on electronics and my tablet is always a few degrees away from overheating as well. We have a Belkin. Do you have any recommendations of what brand to get for a new one?

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6835 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Not many posts today.

I'm working on it!  More posts coming down the pike!   :hamsterwheel:

:arrr:

It does look a little better today.

And when you wake up, there will be even more posts!  :green:

It was down a bit again. :-\

Where is everybody?

I was doing my laundry   :laundry:   and my taxes!  :chores:

You should post about them here! :arrr:

Yes, post your personal finances here. :arrr: What would we possibly do with the information? :angel: :trollface: :mischief:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6836 on: April 21, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »

WolFish found the setting, but it doesn't seem to be editable. What you said here makes me think we're just going to need a new router. This climate (hot and wet) is hell on electronics and my tablet is always a few degrees away from overheating as well. We have a Belkin. Do you have any recommendations of what brand to get for a new one?

Is there any way you can borrow a router from somewhere and test this first? I can't say I'm sure about this--remotely dx'ing network issues is kind of tricky.

Come to think of it--if the Belkin's just a router, meaning that there's a separate modem, connected to the router, just unplug it and test connecting directly via the modem.

The only brand I can actually recommend is Draytek, but they are ridiculously expensive. I've heard good things being said about Asus routers but I don't have any first-hand experience with them. The newer, dual band Netgears are supposedly good, too, as are the more upscale Linksys routers. It's the low-end stuff you want to avoid.

I did buy a cheap TPLink last summer when our interwebz broke down and we had to make do with a 3G modem for a while. Don't know how it would hold up after a few months, but for three weeks, it delivered bytes without any problems.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6837 on: April 21, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »
I am sleepy

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6838 on: April 22, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
Are other members also in withdrawn mode?

Or are they all indulging in life?

The board is more quiet than I am. And I am very quiet.

I am brainstorming.  I need a better plan for the rest of my working life!   :nerd!:

Become a tour guide. :arrr:

:pirateship:
Thinking I can keep on doing nothing for another hour or so.

Only an hour? :orly:

Thinking that I don't really think a lot right now.

You're in the right place. :P

What am I doing with my life?

Thinking about philosophy on Easter?

I have one of those right now. (Guys who will disappear never ever to be seen again the instant I name-drop my partner.) It's annoying because he could be a useful contact otherwise.

Noobs are slippery. :sexymush:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6839 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
Have heard the term "girlfriend zone;" feel it has some stupid connotations but sure as hell describes a real thing.

"Oh, you mean I'm not going to be able to put my cock in you?  Lost interest."   ::)

I know not all men are like that, though it really does feel some days like most people don't bother with you unless they think they can get sex, money, or other favors from you.  Interesting test of character, whether they 1. help you when you need it and/or 2. still remember you exist when you're not useful to them.

Meh.  Humans are self-centered by nature anyway.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.