Author Topic: Away/Back thread  (Read 126500 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Away/Back thread
« Reply #2265 on: October 29, 2010, 05:38:16 PM »
You can't live your whole life over worries like that though.
Agreed. Although if it is a worry to someone, it's easily enough avoided.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2266 on: October 29, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »
True, but I couldn't imagine being so private or secretive online. The only friendships I have are with people I meet online and it's the only place I can really be myself.

Osensitive1

« Reply #2267 on: October 29, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
 :)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2268 on: October 29, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
If sockpuppet accounts are to be allowed, perhaps the person creating it would have to notify one of the admin staff and also the account could be time limited, say after a week it is deleted.

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #2269 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
Never really know if people's photos are real and don't care much. Only saying it doesn't make sense to publish photos on the internet if there's any real concern over identity theft.

Thats true. I was not saying it wouldn't happen to me(stealing my identity) by posting photos in the internet, but it would scare me if it did. (That sentence didn't really make sense, but anyway)

I mean I just recently got a call from the police asking me if I had lost a wallet a while ago, which I had. They had my lost wallet from a year ago because they had arrested some guy trying to use my identity for credit card fraud. And he didn't use my photo off the internet, he didn't even know who I was. But he was prosecuted irl and I don't believe it should be any different on the internet.  So, I am not naive to the risks, but I do try to be as safe as I can. I am just saying that this sock puppet thing is scary because I would not like it to happen to me. I would certainly not do it to someone else, no matter how well I might know them.

It is just my opinion based on life experience and my understanding of common decency. Just because we live in a  world of free speech, and so on so forth does not mean that we should run amok with it at the expense of common law, even if the internet is "lawless". I am a writer and whatever I post on the net is subject to plagiarism, but on my website which is a registered domain name, it is subject to copyright and I pay for that, so that I am protected and in a position to take legal steps if it is violated to some degree.

Posting my picture for me, comes with certain amount of gravity. I have to weigh up the potential pitfalls of doing so. I am polarised and fight with myself over it :duh:

I might be very old fashioned but I have a strong view on "right and wrong". I try and not be a bigot due to my idiosyncrasies, but I believe in the right to privacy, no matter what platforms of media you use, the right to be free from molestation or harm, the right to choose and the right to die.

Loup

"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2270 on: October 29, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
You should  post another picture Loup  :2thumbsup:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2271 on: October 29, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »
Sorry, I can't stop myself. I need to quit harassing the women on here  :-[

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2272 on: October 29, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
Sorry, I can't stop myself. I need to quit harassing the women on here  :-[

Your Dirty Old Man trench-coat is in the mail.

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #2273 on: October 29, 2010, 06:14:39 PM »
Hon , it is all good. :2thumbsup: You can hassle as much as you like :green:

But I don't have any more pics at the mo. I am still getting over my bravery in posting the last pic. I don't even have my photo on my facebook page or in my photo album! I have a Ren and Stimpy avatar.

I guess I just trust you guys with my stuff and you are all so open that I felt I was able to be a bit open too. Especially posting pictures of my son. If anyone wanted to really hurt me, it would be through my boy. So that is a good indication of how much I like you all. It is like being part of a family that I never had.

Soppy, but true :zoinks:

Loup

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2274 on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
Yeah a few people have posted pics of their kids on here. I've posted some pics with my kid brothers in. I don't think anyone here would ever use somethuing like that, especially not with someone like you - I mean I can't imagine you pissing anyone off that much  :laugh:

There are 562 pics of me on facebook - I'm a camwhore   :P

And Phlex, who you calllin Old?  :zoinks:

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2275 on: October 29, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
And Phlex, who you calllin Old?  :zoinks:

Dirty Old Man isn't an age, it's a way of life!

Osensitive1

« Reply #2276 on: October 29, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
Thats true. I was not saying it wouldn't happen to me(stealing my identity) by posting photos in the internet, but it would scare me if it did. (That sentence didn't really make sense, but anyway)

I mean I just recently got a call from the police asking me if I had lost a wallet a while ago, which I had. They had my lost wallet from a year ago because they had arrested some guy trying to use my identity for credit card fraud. And he didn't use my photo off the internet, he didn't even know who I was. But he was prosecuted irl and I don't believe it should be any different on the internet.  So, I am not naive to the risks, but I do try to be as safe as I can. I am just saying that this sock puppet thing is scary because I would not like it to happen to me. I would certainly not do it to someone else, no matter how well I might know them.

It is just my opinion based on life experience and my understanding of common decency. Just because we live in a  world of free speech, and so on so forth does not mean that we should run amok with it at the expense of common law, even if the internet is "lawless". I am a writer and whatever I post on the net is subject to plagiarism, but on my website which is a registered domain name, it is subject to copyright and I pay for that, so that I am protected and in a position to take legal steps if it is violated to some degree.

Posting my picture for me, comes with certain amount of gravity. I have to weigh up the potential pitfalls of doing so. I am polarised and fight with myself over it :duh:

I might be very old fashioned but I have a strong view on "right and wrong". I try and not be a bigot due to my idiosyncrasies, but I believe in the right to privacy, no matter what platforms of media you use, the right to be free from molestation or harm, the right to choose and the right to die.

Loup

Agree the real life threat of identity theft is much more scary, and don't disagree with your moral philosophy.

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #2277 on: October 29, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
Yeah a few people have posted pics of their kids on here. I've posted some pics with my kid brothers in. I don't think anyone here would ever use somethuing like that, especially not with someone like you - I mean I can't imagine you pissing anyone off that much  :laugh:

You are kind, dear one :hug: If you had known me in a past life, you may take back the imagining of me not pissing anyone off. One example is, I was threatened and my son was as well, many years ago by his biological father. His family threatened to kidnap my boy because he was Muslim and I am Roman Catholic. My boy is not a denomination(my choice so he could make up his own mind about things when he is older) and that was what the fight was about. They wanted my son to be Muslim and I said no and stuck to my guns. I am the living breathing example of religious stupidity. That is why I probably don't care about a lot of things, and am super aggressive when the need arises.

Loup

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2278 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »
You did the right thing for your son. I think any good mother would do what they had to do for their kids. The guy sounds like a prick if you don't mind me saying  >:(

The biological father I mean, not your son  :P

Offline Loupgarou

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #2279 on: October 29, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »
You did the right thing for your son. I think any good mother would do what they had to do for their kids. The guy sounds like a prick if you don't mind me saying  >:(

The biological father I mean, not your son  :P

Yes, he was a prick. He is dead now but I forgave him for the terror he put my son and I through, long before he died. He had very little to do with his son when he was alive. He was in and out of jail for drugs and armed robbery, spanning 13 years.

Probably why I am a bit of hard arse. It made me a hard person, but I still have a soft heart. :eyelash:

Loup