Educational

Author Topic: Away/Back thread  (Read 126500 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Away/Back thread
« Reply #2025 on: August 10, 2010, 02:20:56 AM »
What's cool about the original is that the evening lighting of the tower is copyrighted. You aren't allowed to photograph and publish it without permission.

How can one copyright something like that?

I found several images of the real Eiffel Tower at night:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2026 on: August 10, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
never been on a rollercoaster and never want to lol

I hate just going down a hill fast in the car

no idea why people would wanna go on something like that

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2027 on: August 10, 2010, 04:50:40 AM »
What's cool about the original is that the evening lighting of the tower is copyrighted. You aren't allowed to photograph and publish it without permission.

How can one copyright something like that?

I found several images of the real Eiffel Tower at night:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower#Image_copyright_claims

It's bizarre, I know, and it's hard to claim copyright on a picture that happens to be taken near the Eiffel Tower  at night, even for the French.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2028 on: August 10, 2010, 06:48:37 PM »
Roller coasters :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2029 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
I am terrified of roller coasters.  This section of the thread has made me determined to overcome my fear this summer. 

So I watched the video.  The first thing I noticed was the Google ad running under the video for the online First Aid and CPR class - not a good start.

The video was watchable because it had to buffer quite a bit, so it wasn't all that intense.  I noticed that the roller coaster track looked like a cross between a spine and those Cootie critter legs from my childhood.  I watched it again in real time and I'm going to watch it again and again until I'm not afraid.  Note that I won't be able to get on a real roller coaster because of a minor health issue, but maybe I can watch them on TV.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2030 on: August 10, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »
I am terrified of roller coasters.  This section of the thread has made me determined to overcome my fear this summer. 

So I watched the video.  The first thing I noticed was the Google ad running under the video for the online First Aid and CPR class - not a good start.

:lol:

I know how google ads can seem completely misplaced in time and space, let alone context, but that one almost made my tea blast out of my nose.

Thank you.

BTW, I fucking LOVE roller coasters (the real kind, not the metaphorical kind)  or any toy that gives me massive vestibular stimulation.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2031 on: August 10, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

The video was watchable because it had to buffer quite a bit, so it wasn't all that intense.  I noticed that the roller coaster track looked like a cross between a spine and those Cootie critter legs from my childhood.  I watched it again in real time and I'm going to watch it again and again until I'm not afraid.  Note that I won't be able to get on a real roller coaster because of a minor health issue, but maybe I can watch them on TV.

:plus: Hilarious.

I don't go on them because I'm not scared of them, I go on them because I'm determined not to let something scare the shit out of me.

Some would call it stupidity, yes  :laugh:

There is something mesmerising about the pure fear of it and I find myself pissed off for being a wuss for not going on....so I HAVE to go on them.

Two of my more recent episodes were on these;

And jetboating. I was hungover and had no intention of going, but got to the wharf and felt like a wuss. Swallowed half the harbour laughing.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2032 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
I am intrigued by roller coasters, but I don't trust the safety of any carnival rides.  :-\
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #2033 on: August 14, 2010, 10:58:03 PM »
Back again.

Never been on a rollercoaster - closest I got was the Mad Mouse at the Royal Melbourne Show in 1980.

Re pics and copyright - what if I took a pic of the tower at exactly the same time of nite under the same conditions?

Oh, and what happened to zOMG? When I log on there all I get is some shit about spies and private investigators?

P7PSP

« Reply #2034 on: August 14, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
Back again.

Never been on a rollercoaster - closest I got was the Mad Mouse at the Royal Melbourne Show in 1980.

Re pics and copyright - what if I took a pic of the tower at exactly the same time of nite under the same conditions?

Oh, and what happened to zOMG? When I log on there all I get is some shit about spies and private investigators?

Soph let it go. It was a useless spamtard fest at the end. The Mad Mouse sounds like the Oz version of the Wild Mouse at Santa Cruz.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #2035 on: August 14, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »
Back again.

Soph let it go. It was a useless spamtard fest at the end. The Mad Mouse sounds like the Oz version of the Wild Mouse at Santa Cruz.

Pity, I s'pose people just decided to fuck it up.

The Mad Mouse had 2 small cars with 2 passengers per car joined together and the track had sharp 90 deg bends. Real chunder material.

P7PSP

« Reply #2036 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
Back again.

Pity, I s'pose people just decided to fuck it up.

The Mad Mouse had 2 small cars with 2 passengers per car joined together and the track had sharp 90 deg bends. Real chunder material.
That is what happened and that is the same ride.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2037 on: August 15, 2010, 08:44:55 AM »
Back again.

The copyright thing is weird, to say the least. I don't know if anyone but the French would care.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #2038 on: August 15, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
I am intrigued by roller coasters, but I don't trust the safety of any carnival rides.  :-\
Yes, the ones that get torn down and moved every month are creepy. Saw a show about it once; never again.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2039 on: August 15, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
Yes, the ones that get torn down and moved every month are creepy. Saw a show about it once; never again.

There is a carnival like that that comes to my city once or twice every summer and sets up in the shopping mall parking lot for a week at a time, then moves on.
I'm cautious even walking past the rides, and would never get ON one. I'm especially leery of one ride that's like a Viking longship and swings back and forth.
I could picture it either coming out of the frame, or clipping me in the head as I walk past!  :zombiefuck:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"