Author Topic: Away/Back thread  (Read 126502 times)

TheoK

Re: Away/Back thread
« Reply #1080 on: January 08, 2009, 05:47:25 AM »
In Sweden the kids build either snow castles to have "snowball war" in or "igloos".

Some Swedish kids building a snow castle

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1081 on: January 08, 2009, 07:11:55 AM »
It's been at least 4 years since we had enough for good snow castles we call them snow forts though 

I assume the construction is the same, though?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #1082 on: January 08, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »
The Swedish word doesn't mean "fortress" or "castle", by the way. It means "snow cabin" or something like that.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1083 on: January 08, 2009, 07:17:14 AM »
I think it's sad that there are no *real* winters anymore. No skating on frozen lakes, no skiing, no building snow castles for the kids.

How do you build a snow castle?

By rolling big snow balls and using them as building blocks. Didn't you do this as a child?

We used to use the blocks the snowplows churned up, fill in the gaps with loose snow, and then pour water over it. You can also freeze water in empty milk cartons for proper blocks.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1084 on: January 08, 2009, 07:23:30 AM »
I think it's sad that there are no *real* winters anymore. No skating on frozen lakes, no skiing, no building snow castles for the kids.

By rolling big snow balls and using them as building blocks. Didn't you do this as a child?

No, I didn't.  I grew up in Alabama, which hardly ever had snow.  If we got even an inch of snow, all the schools were cancelled and people stayed home from work.  If there was even a prediction that there might be snow, all the stores were raided for milk and bread and batteries and Coleman fuel, in case the power went out.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1085 on: January 08, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »

We used to use the blocks the snowplows churned up, fill in the gaps with loose snow, and then pour water over it. You can also freeze water in empty milk cartons for proper blocks.

Pouring water over it all works great.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #1086 on: January 08, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »
We used to pour water on our snowballs some hours before we should used them when I was a kid.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1087 on: January 08, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »

No, I didn't.  I grew up in Alabama, which hardly ever had snow.  If we got even an inch of snow, all the schools were cancelled and people stayed home from work.  If there was even a prediction that there might be snow, all the stores were raided for milk and bread and batteries and Coleman fuel, in case the power went out.

:o

We'd never have made it past second grade, like that.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1088 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

:o

We'd never have made it past second grade, like that.

We drive in the snow here in Colorado and nothing is cancelled unless there is quite a lot of snow, but people are more prepared for it here because we get quite a lot of it.  There are snow plows here and they put a mixture of salt and sand on the intersections of the busier streets so cars can safely stop. 

Because Alabama hardly gets any snow at all, nobody is really prepared to deal with it.  There are long needled pine trees in Alabama whose branches will overhang power lines and break if their needles become coated with snow and ice, so power lines in Alabama often break if there is ice or snow.  All the pines in Colorado have much shorter needles and can take ice and snow without breaking.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1089 on: January 09, 2009, 07:35:32 AM »
I find it strange that they don't learn anything from their past mistakes. It probably isn't cheap to replace fallen power lines.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1090 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »
It's been at least 4 years since we had enough for good snow castles we call them snow forts though 

I assume the construction is the same, though?

Yes
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1091 on: January 09, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »
I find it strange that they don't learn anything from their past mistakes. It probably isn't cheap to replace fallen power lines.

In Fairfield County in CT the rich people always complain about the tree trimming for the power lines and have such a big fuss they just don't do it they loss power every wind or rain storm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:14:20 PM by parts »
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1092 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »

Of course the power company trims the trees that overhang power lines, but the trees are different when they are covered with ice and snow.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1093 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

In Fairfield County in CT the rich people always complain about the tree trimming for the power lines and have such a big fuss they just don't do it they loss power every wind or rain storm

The rich should be made to repair the lines, then. ;D

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1094 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »

Of course the power company trims the trees that overhang power lines, but the trees are different when they are covered with ice and snow.

Yes, true, but around here they take that into account.

- Albert Einstein