Educational

Author Topic: Away/Back thread  (Read 126467 times)

duncvis

Re: Away/Back thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 25, 2008, 10:03:59 AM »
what he said mate. merry christmas les. :beergrin:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1051 on: December 25, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
nice to see you around and a happy hollidays to everyone :thumbup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1052 on: December 25, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »
Thank you very muchly.

So what's the go. Who has left, died, been run out of town, married, divorced, got knocked up, madly in love.......
 ???

Who is who now?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1053 on: December 31, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »
I am back. :party:
Guardian of the Empire

TheoK

« Reply #1054 on: December 31, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »
 :rock:

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1055 on: December 31, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
 :kilt: :dancers: :happydance: :dance: :belly:
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1056 on: December 31, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
I'm back.

We had a great time.

Our daughter only pulled one person's hair and it wasn't on the airplane.

Welcome back, Kevv and Sir Les.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1057 on: December 31, 2008, 09:12:24 PM »
I'm back.

We had a great time.

How did you find England?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1058 on: December 31, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
 ;D Welcome back!
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1059 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »
WB Callaway.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1060 on: December 31, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
I'm back.

We had a great time.

Did you fly out of Denver the day of the crash?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1061 on: December 31, 2008, 09:32:47 PM »
I'm back.

We had a great time.

How did you find England?

It's a little shitty island surrounded by smelly, cold water. Most pilots know how to avoid it or land there if pressed.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1062 on: December 31, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
I'm back.

We had a great time.

Wish I could say you missed a great deal of entertainment, but it's just not so.

Hope your travels went well.

(also, hope you know that I am jealous and my tuning up hadron is not meant to cast aspersion upon your journey or those few intelligent souls who live there - they know who they are, BTW, being intelligent and all)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:37:42 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1063 on: January 01, 2009, 04:10:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

We flew out of Denver the morning after the crash.  Can you believe an article about the crash is already on Wikipedia?

We had large delays in Chicago because it was so cold there and our plane was unable to take on water because it had frozen solid in the trucks.

We flew into Heathrow and took a taxi to Reading because we rented our car there (since there weren't any rental cars in Heathrow) and then we drove on to Bath and saw Stonehenge on the way.  We saw Kew Gardens and the area around it on the next day and actually found winter boots that fit our daughter's feet.  They were expensive but we bought them anyway since it is nearly impossible to find shoes that comfortably fit her because she has large bunions on both her feet.  She loved the boots and wore them for the rest of our trip. 

We drove into downtown London on Christmas Eve and saw many things there including Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Harrods, the London Eye, the British National Museum, and our hotel in Piccadilly, which upgraded us to the most fabulous room.  It had a sitting room as well as a bedroom and a huge bay window overlooking the street in front of the hotel.  The hotel also had a large swimming pool, which thrilled our daughter, and we had to take her swimming.  Our daughter wondered how Santa could possibly come visit her in the hotel room if we didn't have a tree and I forgot to bring a miniature tree with us, so I suggested that she draw a tree and she did.  Fortunately my husband and I did remember to bring several Christmas presents for her in our suitcases, so Santa was able to visit her in the hotel room, after all.  I have already explained all about Santa to her, but I wonder if part of her still thinks he is a real person.  We parked the car in a garage and mostly walked around or took taxis for the rest of the time we were there until we checked out of our hotel and left for Edinburgh.

We drove from London to Edinburgh on Boxing Day and the next day we saw Holyrood House and walked up the hill at the Royal Park across the street.  The view from there was spectacular and the weather was fine.  We walked up to Edinburgh Castle and saw the inside of that and bought a plastic crown for our daughter that resembled Mary, Queen of Scots' crown and a book in their gift shop, and we also bought souvenirs in the stores along the Royal Mile.  We didn't try haggis, though.  We had pasta at an Italian restaurant instead.   There was a restaurant that had both macaroni and cheese and haggis on their menu posted outside, but when we entered, a woman approached us and said that the restaurant was not licensed for children, so we had to leave and find one that was.

We drove from Edinburgh back to London and saw Rosslin Chapel and Hadrian's Wall along the way before it got too dark.

We had expected to see a toll booth where we could pay the 8 pound toll for driving into London, but there wasn't one, so we didn't know how to pay it.  We thought that maybe they took the license plate numbers with the cameras which seem to be everywhere and sent bills and the car rental company would just add it to our bill, but we found out on the last day that wasn't the case and fortunately we figured out how to pay the toll over the phone with a credit card and didn't have to pay a huge penalty in addition to the toll, just a small one.

I found the people in England and Scotland very nice (except for a few of the drivers*) but I found the prices in England and Scotland expensive compared to the US.  For example, I saw a book with a price in pounds that was more than the price in dollars here.  I think that the cover price was 29.99 pounds in England and it's $22.99 here and I bought the book for $13.49 at Costco before we left.

*There was one crazy driver of an orange delivery truck for a work clothes rental company who repeatedly and deliberately kept cutting my husband off on the M1.  My husband did not cut him off or anything and he was driving the speed limit.  After my husband figured out that the driver was doing it deliberately, he slowed down until the crazy driver got tired of driving so slowly just to keep messing with him.  By the way, the TomTom I bought for my husband last Christmas worked very well at mapping out routes for us.  It warned us about the many speed cameras and it actually mooed if we exceeded the speed limit by more than a few miles per hour.

TheoK

« Reply #1064 on: January 01, 2009, 04:12:57 AM »
Welcome back, though it feels a bit weird since you were much closer when you were in England.  ;)