Author Topic: Away/Back thread  (Read 126494 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Away/Back thread
« Reply #5130 on: August 11, 2014, 03:08:27 AM »

Looking at pictures of Eifel...looks like a great place to hike..very beautiful. Seems like the sort of place Parts would live too :P . Theres a trail, Eifelsteig, and a castle, Burg Ramstein. Did you see either?

Hahaha, had I realised there was a Burg Ramstein, I think we would have gone and seen it. In stead we visited the bigger one of these two.

A little stream between them showing the sworn enemies where the border was between their premises.

The Eifel is packed with tracks to go on foot, not all really well marked, but it is a very nice hiking area. Some of the trails we walked followed the Eifelsteig route for a bit. These Burgs were on the trail you mentioned too.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #5131 on: August 11, 2014, 04:58:44 AM »
This site tells a lot about water-management in the past and future in the Netherlands. It is quite interesting. We're aiming for more controlled flooding, if flooding can't be prevented. Two kilometers from me there now is an area that is designated to flood, in case all other water-distractions won't work. The Dutch are designing more and more places for overfluid water to go to, because more and more water is expected to come in from the rivers. The biggest danger does not seem to be the sea anymore.
We all pay a fair amount on taxes for water management. It is part of our culture since the middle ages.

The quality of the river water is way better than it was 30 years ago, when rivers were used as sewage way more. But, our two main rivers, de Maas /Meuse en de Rijn/Rhein still go through huge industrial areas, before entering the Netherlands.

I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5132 on: August 11, 2014, 06:06:56 AM »
This site tells a lot about water-management in the past and future in the Netherlands. It is quite interesting. We're aiming for more controlled flooding, if flooding can't be prevented. Two kilometers from me there now is an area that is designated to flood, in case all other water-distractions won't work. The Dutch are designing more and more places for overfluid water to go to, because more and more water is expected to come in from the rivers. The biggest danger does not seem to be the sea anymore.
We all pay a fair amount on taxes for water management. It is part of our culture since the middle ages.

The quality of the river water is way better than it was 30 years ago, when rivers were used as sewage way more. But, our two main rivers, de Maas /Meuse en de Rijn/Rhein still go through huge industrial areas, before entering the Netherlands.

That is how I will go to work, in case they have to use the last back-up plan. Estimations are it will be less than once in 200 years that that will have to be used though.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5133 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »

That is how I will go to work, in case they have to use the last back-up plan. Estimations are it will be less than once in 200 years that that will have to be used though.

If you live for 80 years, that's an uncomfortably high lifetime probability. :GA:

At that point, it's time to move to Switzerland:

:hitler:
:eiffel: :hyke: :snowman:
            :pizza:

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5134 on: August 11, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

If you live for 80 years, that's an uncomfortably high lifetime probability. :GA:

Why would I, chance that where I live will get flooded is once in about 4000 years. The area 2 km away from me is a last resource overflow basin, if all other options fail. The farms are on terps, most of the main road is above water level, and people will know way in advance that the area may get flooded. So, time enough to bring cattle and people in safety, with enough food to last long enough.
Chance that you get flooded in a Swiss valley, after massive rainfall will be substantial too, when the climate change keeps going on this way.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5135 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »

Why would I, chance that where I live will get flooded is once in about 4000 years. The area 2 km away from me is a last resource overflow basin, if all other options fail. The farms are on terps, most of the main road is above water level, and people will know way in advance that the area may get flooded. So, time enough to bring cattle and people in safety, with enough food to last long enough.
Chance that you get flooded in a Swiss valley, after massive rainfall will be substantial too, when the climate change keeps going on this way.

CBC is so old school, she was around when your area was last flooded. :cbc:

You don't have to live in a Swiss valley. You can live in the mountains and ski to work every day. :snowman: Is there anywhere safe to live in Europe? :P

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5136 on: August 11, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »

You don't have to live in a Swiss valley. You can live in the mountains and ski to work every day. :snowman: Is there anywhere safe to live in Europe? :P

Being born in Monaco is a good start, if you want to get old, on this globe. link

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5137 on: August 11, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Being born in Monaco is a good start, if you want to get old, on this globe. link

:oldman:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5138 on: August 11, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »

You don't have to be really old for that, actually.
Where I live, people are the oldest things/beings around.

The elderly people that live here are the ones that made this land land. They saw it still being a reedswamp, or even saw it still being the sea.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #5139 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
Hello!
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5140 on: August 11, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Welcome back.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5141 on: August 11, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
 :asthing:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #5142 on: August 11, 2014, 05:08:49 PM »
Sup Trigger? How have you been?
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5143 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:45 PM »
Meh, but trekking along.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me