Educational

Author Topic: Away/Back thread  (Read 126489 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Away/Back thread
« Reply #4815 on: November 29, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
After watching 'my cat from hell' have decided to get some fencing with a 60 degree angle at the top to prevent Fester from getting out.  He will still have my garden to explore which is 200ft long.  It is going to cost a lot more than neutering but I don't have any choice if I am going to prevent him from adding to the stray cat problem.

I don't have much experience with cats but I know dogs have a different personality after being spayed or neutered.  It is common for them to become fat and lazy.  In male dogs it is even worse, as they never really reach their full potential which is why you only get unaltered dogs in shows and competitions.  I have been told similar results occur in cats. 

I am winging it,  nothing set in stone.   
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #4816 on: November 29, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
:toporly:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4817 on: November 29, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
 ???
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #4818 on: November 29, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
 :M

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4819 on: November 30, 2013, 03:05:48 AM »
I am not AGAINST neutering.  I am just unconvinced that the automatic neutering that seems to be the norm is in the best interests of the animal.

I don't want to 'alter' Fester.

None of the cats I had when I was a kid was neutered. Not sure why it seems to be the norm now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4820 on: November 30, 2013, 03:07:36 AM »
I am not AGAINST neutering.  I am just unconvinced that the automatic neutering that seems to be the norm is in the best interests of the animal.

I am not sure about automatically neutering pets either,especially if it's a male,  and never had my dog Yoyo fixed even when badgered by the vet.  They kept telling me he would be happier and more mellow, but he already was the happiest most mellow dog I ever owned.  So if Fester doesn't go outside why not

I don't see the point either.

Except for rabbits. :zoinks: Seriously, we've had a number of them and it's a practical necessity.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4821 on: November 30, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »

None of the cats I had when I was a kid was neutered. Not sure why it seems to be the norm now.

The one word answer  =  CONTROL.   

I really do see the need to keep the numbers of strays down.  I really do.  It is not enough, however, to give out advice.  Not enough to tell people to keep female cats indoors if they are in season.  Not enough to advise people to get female cats spayed.  A blanket de-sexing is easier.  The message is that if you own a cat, no matter what sex then you are irresponsible if you do not take away it's ability to reproduce. 

The other reason I have been given regarding Fester?  I am a cruel owner if I allow him to develop into a full male tom cat.   Full male tom cats are not pc and not fashionable at the moment.  It's the way they behave.  We have evolved and so must they.  Many folks generally don't like it when their fluffy pets fight.  It's not fluffy.  If we don't like the way animals behave then we will damn well change it to suit our own ethics.  Cut nad's off would be rapist violent tom cat.  We can feel better then about our pet's.  Avoids those awkward conversations with the kids.    It doesn't matter that you have just taken away tom's whole meaning of life (a tom will spend a fair amount of time defending it's territory and seeking out female company) because, here's the best bit, it has a much more important focus now...YOU!  Never mind about the fact you work all day, you play with it when you get five mins.  You feed it.  You will squeeze it into the evening vet surgery when it's old and fat and get some pills for it's arthritis because it has never developed proper muscles due to inactivity.  You can stand proud knowing it has no nicks in it's ears from fighting.   Well, I am afraid that would give me a feel good factor of...zero.  So I won't be following the advice.  I will be shunned from the fluffy kitty club.  Bad, bad pet owner Bodie and her rapist cat.   
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4822 on: November 30, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
My late cat wasn't neutered, vet did not want to take the risk, me neither. Got it as a very sick rescue. He must have fathered a few, because on anti-biotics, he was the top cat of the street.  :laugh: It worked like speed.

In areas with houses at close distance a non neutered male cat can be a nuisance. He may not spray at home, but in houses of others. He may wander further and further, because of lack of non neutered females in his surroundings. So, in a village as mine, I think neutering is not a bad thing. My next door cat did become a bit more meek because of it though. Not much. He is slightly less aggressive.

Both my cats now were already neutered before I got them. They still both catch their mice and sparrows. Don't know if they changed a lot with the neutering.

Another male cat in my neighbourhood got neutered because he was found very sick, and apparently abandoned (found on one of his week long straying trips) by pet rescue. The owners were livid. The others in the neighbourhood kinda relieved. He sprayed in all houses he could get access too. So, he got a lot of aggression of people towards him. His personality did change. From very frightened to an outgoing cat. He still breaks his entries though. So, not a complete change. He does not spray anymore. And he doesn't stray for weeks any more either.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4823 on: November 30, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
I am sure 'results may vary'  but I am not going to do a drastic thing like that unless I have good reason.  Like the ones you describe Hyke.

I recall many cats too, not my own, but on estate growing up.  Huge tom cats with great fat necks and big jowls.  Scarred yes, some more than others, but no sick ones in memory.  Probably a bit lean,  but strong and active.   These were not strays, they were loved.  Some growing to a big age.   

I have never let any of my pets be a nuisance to others.  I don't intend to start.  I am hoping this special fencing works.  I like tom cats.
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4824 on: November 30, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »
I am sure 'results may vary'  but I am not going to do a drastic thing like that unless I have good reason.  Like the ones you describe Hyke.

I recall many cats too, not my own, but on estate growing up.  Huge tom cats with great fat necks and big jowls.  Scarred yes, some more than others, but no sick ones in memory.  Probably a bit lean,  but strong and active.   These were not strays, they were loved.  Some growing to a big age.   

I have never let any of my pets be a nuisance to others.  I don't intend to start.  I am hoping this special fencing works.  I like tom cats.

My chronic sick cat was as healthy as can be, with his balls. He did well, and yes, he had his scratches, and his anti-biotics, and his festering fighting wounds. But, he was as happy as he could be.

When his kidneys failed after a life of chronic air infections, I had to get him put down. No need for him to suffer for my sake. He enjoyed life as long as it lasted, and that was way longer than the vets first had thought possible.

TheoK

« Reply #4825 on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
Nam feles tua fortis erat!  :viking:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4826 on: December 01, 2013, 04:12:09 AM »
Let's just neuter everything that isn't according to the norm. :M

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4827 on: December 01, 2013, 06:15:16 AM »
Let's just neuter everything that isn't according to the norm. :M

Nah, with cats and dogs it is "let's neuter everything that is according to the norm" and "let's breed with the ones that are different".

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4828 on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
I know I shouldn't question.  I should know already how all species are safe in the hands of humans.  What a great job done already of looking after the planet and all it's occupants.   :zoinks:

Can you imagine what a turn around if there was a global increase of the rat population,  a new breed of plague carrying rodent totally unaffected by our poison's?  Would the stray cat then be elevated to 'protected' status.  There would be all sorts of breeding programmes.  The truth is humans are fickle when it comes to animals.  Humans know best.
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4829 on: December 01, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
I know I shouldn't question.  I should know already how all species are safe in the hands of humans.  What a great job done already of looking after the planet and all it's occupants.   :zoinks:

Can you imagine what a turn around if there was a global increase of the rat population,  a new breed of plague carrying rodent totally unaffected by our poison's?  Would the stray cat then be elevated to 'protected' status.  There would be all sorts of breeding programmes.  The truth is humans are fickle when it comes to animals.  Humans know best.

It's hard to have pets without thinking about it; the moral implications of 'owning' animals in general.