Educational

Author Topic: Copycat Jesus Mythicism  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Copycat Jesus Mythicism
« on: June 27, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
Who else thinks it's ridiculous?

It's quite a ridiculous and irrational belief to espouse that one wonders why many skeptics who claim to be rational and "free thinkers" believe this shit.

Since when did atheists and seculars believe something without proper research?

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, check this site (for example):

http://www.truthbeknown.com/

It's confusing how some atheists/agnostics/what have you can be more intellectually dishonest than many Christian apologists.

Osensitive1

Re: Copycat Jesus Mythicism
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
Copy and paste it here.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:49:18 PM »
For example, check this:

Horus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.
His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph"). Seb is also known as "Geb": "As Horus the Elder he...was believed to be the son of Geb and Nut." Lewis Spence, Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends, 84.
He was of royal descent.
At age 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.
Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iarutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" ("John the Baptist"), who was decapitated.
He had 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "Aan" (the two "Johns").
He performed miracles, exorcised demons and raised El-Azarus ("El-Osiris"), from the dead.
Horus walked on water.
His personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was thus called "Holy Child."
He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."
Horus was transfigured on the Mount.
He was killed, buried for three days in a tomb, and resurrected.
He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light," "Messiah," "God's Anointed Son," the "Son of Man," the "Good Shepherd," the "Lamb of God," the "Word made flesh," the "Word of Truth," etc.
He was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.
He came to fulfill the Law.
Horus was called "the KRST," or "Anointed One."
Like Jesus, "Horus was supposed to reign one thousand years."

http://truthbeknown.com/christ.htm

Osensitive1

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
Where's the part about atheist and agnostics believing this?

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »

Oh, you get to see that in discussion boards that allow for discussions between atheists and theists and such. A lot of them believe in this crap, unfortunately.

Osensitive1

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »

Oh, you get to see that in discussion boards that allow for discussions between atheists and theists and such. A lot of them believe in this crap, unfortunately.
Odd. Atheists and agnostics who believe in God and his son Horus are laughable, or at best counterproductive. Does it appear to be a sizable goup?

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »

Odd. Atheists and agnostics who believe in God and his son Horus are laughable, or at best counterproductive. Does it appear to be a sizable goup?

Is that what is said in that site? I didn't notice that bit.

What I meant is that many believe there are striking parallels between the stories of Jesus and the stories and myths of other mythological characters. Acharya S is just one person who spreads this nonsense around. There are others who claim to be scholars who do the same, and many just take their words for granted.

Osensitive1

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
No. Only a misunderstanding I guess. Your opening posts appeared to be saying atheist and agnostics believe this stuff, and when I asked about, you seemed to confirm this again by saying 'a lot of them believe in this crap'. Got it now.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
Apparently Christ is the 17th prophet to have been resurrected from the dead, and to have walked around after the resurrection. Buddha, some Egyptian pharoahs, some Mesapotamian kings and even some South American prophets are amongst them. As Christianity is a religion that borrowed a lot of its mythology from earlier writings, then it would be very likely he is just one of the many.

Besides, Jesus was not born on Dec 25, it was more likely some time in March 6 BCE. And the idea of Christmas came from the Pagan festival of Saturnalia.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »
No. Only a misunderstanding I guess. Your opening posts appeared to be saying atheist and agnostics believe this stuff, and when I asked about, you seemed to confirm this again by saying 'a lot of them believe in this crap'. Got it now.

Ok, fair enough. Posting links to various discussion board topics in various forums takes too much time and effort. The following video was made by atheists:

If you ever have the time, watch it for me and let me know what you think.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
Apparently Christ is the 17th prophet to have been resurrected from the dead, and to have walked around after the resurrection. Buddha, some Egyptian pharoahs, some Mesapotamian kings and even some South American prophets are amongst them. As Christianity is a religion that borrowed a lot of its mythology from earlier writings, then it would be very likely he is just one of the many.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Have you ever read Buddhist material for yourself? How about Egyptian mythology?

If you really believe this, then I'm willing to give you a challenge. Are you ready to accept it?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Have you ever read Buddhist material for yourself? How about Egyptian mythology?

If you really believe this, then I'm willing to give you a challenge. Are you ready to accept it?

Never read it, but as I got turned off Christianity a long time ago because their beliefs were too hard to swallow, I decided to become Pagan. While I might not worship around Stonehenge, or meditate like Buddha, or pray to Osiris and Ra, I still think that it's dumb of Christians to believe that they were the only ones who had a messiah that rose from the dead. Besides, Christianity as a sect only numbered about a few hundred back in Jesus day, and had the Romans got it right, they would have been wiped out. Then we have Constantine, who miraculously converted when he saw a 'vision' of cross. trick of the light, yeah, but no vision. It's got me wondering how a book of stories about mythology can be taken so seriously, but then you have to look at dicks like Ragtime and that parakeet wanker and you get the gist. Until someone can prove the existence of god, then we should take any beliefs as that - belief.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:39:57 PM by Steve-O »

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »

Never read it, but as I got turned off Christianity a long time ago because their beliefs were too hard to swallow, I decided to become Pagan. While I might not worship around Stonehenge, or meditate like Buddha, or pray to Osiris and Ra, I still think that it's dumb of Christians to believe that they were the only ones who had a messiah that rose from the dead. Besides, Christianity as a sect only numbered about a few hundred back in Jesus day, and had the Romans got it right, they would have been wiped out. Then we have Constantine, who miraculously converted when he saw a 'vision' of cross. trick of the light, yeah, but no vision. It's got me wondering how a book of stories about mythology can be taken so seriously, but then you have to look at dicks like Ragtime and that parakeet wanker and you get the gist. Until someone can prove the existence of god, then we should take any beliefs as that - belief.

I don't know why you've chosen to state points that are really irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make. Let's just concentrate on the bolded part in your comment above.

You do realize the word "Messiah" originated in the Old Testament Scriptures (in Hebrew language), right?

Where is the word "Messiah" in Egyptian myths? When did Buddha become a Messiah?

When did Krishna become known as a character who got crucified to pay the price for the sins of mankind to be resurrected later in three days or so? How about Hercules, Odin, and so on? Were they also said to have been born of virgins and had twelve disciples each and were called Saviors, Redeemers, Messiahs, etc.?

I'm not saying this is what you yourself believe, but usually people who say what you say above also believe the other stuff that has been made popular recently about such mythological characters. So the question is why are we quick to believe what people like Acharya S and Robert Price and other frauds like them say?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
Same as why are people so quick to believe the likes of Rev Phelps, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Jones, amongst others? Easy. It;s because people are so easily duped. Faith requires gullibility, and most fundies be it Christian, Muslim, Moron (er.. Mormon), or whatever are gullible. Religion is a big form of spiritual penis-envy; a 'my god is better than your god thing'. Mostly, it's all belief (as I said) and mostly to all free-thinkers, it's all shite.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
Same as why are people so quick to believe the likes of Rev Phelps, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Jones, amongst others? Easy. It;s because people are so easily duped. Faith requires gullibility, and most fundies be it Christian, Muslim, Moron (er.. Mormon), or whatever are gullible. Religion is a big form of spiritual penis-envy; a 'my god is better than your god thing'. Mostly, it's all belief (as I said) and mostly to all free-thinkers, it's all shite.

Yet, you already made a couple of claims that show you're quick to believe that the character and stories of Jesus were copied from other mythological/religious sources. And that is what I'm trying to get at. If the above quote is what you think, then why do many of us read the nonsense spouted by some frauds and click our fingers and go "Hey, these guys are definitely right" ignoring the fact that they cite no conclusive evidence for their findings?

You are trying to turn this into a discussion about religious beliefs while I'm trying to get this to be a discussion about some of the irrational beliefs that many atheists/agnostics hold.