Educational

Author Topic: Wokking the dog.  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
Re: Wokking the dog.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
I already knew this, but still.... :rage:
Me too. It got me thinking of that douchebag in Canada that killed 100 dogs in two days.  :thumbdn:

I'd um, managed to forget about that. I'm ragin now.

Uh oh. :hide:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

DukeNukem

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
China in general just make me sick. And to think they may become more powerful than the USA one day. :thumbdn:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
Yeah. China is diarrea. :thumbdn:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
Let me preface this by saying that I love dogs.  I have 4 dogs and they are great companions.  I have dedicated more than a dozen years of my life to helping dogs and cats by working as a veterinary nurse and hospital administrator.  

That being said, dog smells absolutely delicious when it is cooking.  I have never eaten any, but the smell can make your mouth water like good barbecue.  I know this from boiling down dog skulls for anatomical demonstrations and the heavy use of electrocautery in certain procedures.  :dog:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:47:02 PM by Hubert Cumberdale »

Osensitive1

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Have never eaten one but have eaten some strange things and don't mind the idea of cats and dogs. Cow's leg, dog's leg, there's no difference really. Either a person eats animals or they don't.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Have never eaten one but have eaten some strange things and don't mind the idea of cats and dogs. Cow's leg, dog's leg, there's no difference really. Either a person eats animals or they don't.

I wouldn't agree with that exactly.  Domesticated animals have individual purpose, which is what we bred them for.  Each species has a purpose and a cow's purpose is to be eaten and a dog's purpose is to be a companion.  Also, carnivores taste very different from herbivores.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
cat's are true carnivore's

but dog's aren't,  not totally

so would cat and dog taste very differently?

UUUUUgggghhhh  i can't believe i am asking that Q
blah blah blah

Osensitive1

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
I wouldn't agree with that exactly.  Domesticated animals have individual purpose, which is what we bred them for.  Each species has a purpose and a cow's purpose is to be eaten and a dog's purpose is to be a companion.  Also, carnivores taste very different from herbivores.
I won't claim to know the purpose of animals, but yes your points about cows and dogs do apply to what's acceptable in western society, though not all society. The concept of eating flesh is very black and white.

Binty

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »

That's speciesism.  Who are we to determine what the purpose of other animals is? 

midlifeaspie

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »

That's speciesism.  Who are we to determine what the purpose of other animals is? 

You will notice I said "domesticated animals".  This means animals that are not found in the wild in their current form and have been bred (genetically modified) into their current form.  This modification was done by man to serve man's purpose.

You can also look at it the other way around and say that the species have adapted to new environments through natural selection and in doing so have become extremely successful.  The selection being obedience and friendliness (dogs), docility and flavor (cows), and hunting prowess (cats, though this analogy falls apart very quickly as cats are not really domesticated).  In doing so they have become three of the most successful species on the planet as none of the three would exist at even 1% of their current numbers in the absence of human influence.

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
This modification was done by man to serve man's purpose.
The Chinese have been eating dogs for thousands of years.

Binty

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »

You will notice I said "domesticated animals".  This means animals that are not found in the wild in their current form and have been bred (genetically modified) into their current form.  This modification was done by man to serve man's purpose.

You can also look at it the other way around and say that the species have adapted to new environments through natural selection and in doing so have become extremely successful.  The selection being obedience and friendliness (dogs), docility and flavor (cows), and hunting prowess (cats, though this analogy falls apart very quickly as cats are not really domesticated).  In doing so they have become three of the most successful species on the planet as none of the three would exist at even 1% of their current numbers in the absence of human influence.

That is untrue.  Cows are very versatile but it's our influence that makes them more and more dependant on humans.  We are the only mammals who consume milk past the infant stage.  Never mind that it's not even our own milk that we're consuming.  We are the reason why cows are used as milk machines.

Your post suggested that the only purpose of animals is to serve human needs.  Humans are not superior to animals.  We just happen to have a few biological advantages.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »
This modification was done by man to serve man's purpose.
The Chinese have been eating dogs for thousands of years.

And dogs have been domesticated for 15,000 years.  You are correct that the Chinese did breed dogs for food, but looking at humanity as a whole they are an outlier (and a pretty gross one in my opinion).

Osensitive1

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »
No more gross than a quartered chicken, or a side of pork ribs.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »
No more gross than a quartered chicken, or a side of pork ribs.

That is subjective of course.  I find it really gross myself.  I find the idea of eating any carnivore to be really gross.