Educational

Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 19208 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2007, 06:06:13 PM »
:laugh: +

Sorry. I greatly value your opinions, of course, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
Do I have to have owned a gun to know that they are deadly? How many innocent lives would you say that your right to own and carry a firearm is worth? One? Ten? Thirty-two? A Columbine incident once a decade?

And please, don't feel forced to fog the issue. Take the soda can discussion in another thread.
give me liberty or give me death.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
Do I have to have owned a gun to know that they are deadly? How many innocent lives would you say that your right to own and carry a firearm is worth? One? Ten? Thirty-two? A Columbine incident once a decade?

And please, don't feel forced to fog the issue. Take the soda can discussion in another thread.

Which one do you prefer? ;)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2007, 07:31:21 PM »

i would rather have liberty, but if i cannot, then i may as well be dead.  since, what kind of life would it be?
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »

The use of firarms to prevent crime outnumbers the crimes commited with guns by 50% in the U.S. It kind of makes the "crime issue" moot. The firarm issue is and always will be one of political power within a society.

driftingblizzard

« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2007, 02:59:48 AM »
I am not making this up folks. I couldn't if I tried....  Quoted from MyDeathSpace.com...
Nice way to wrap up a thread though, should settle things.....

Christopher R. Schmidt, who served more than two years in federal prison for possessing stolen guns, used barstools to beat his friend to death Dec. 28, authorities charged Thursday.

Schmidt, 25, of 1526 12th Ave. SE, was charged in Linn County District Court with first-degree murder in the bludgeoning death of Robert Nelson, 24, in Nelson's apartment in downtown Cedar Rapids.

The two had been roommates a few years ago when both were attending Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids. They still got together to play video and computer games, Schmidt's fiancee, Helene Curl, 26, told The Gazette.

"They were like best friends,'' she said.

Court records indicate police found Schmidt's fingerprint on a barstool in Nelson's eighth-floor apartment at The Roosevelt, a former hotel at 200 First Ave. NE that is now a 93-unit apartment complex.

The documents indicate Schmidt initially denied killing Nelson but told police Wednesday in a second interview that he had struck Nelson in a quarrel over money.

Police found blood spattered throughout the 12-by-12-foot apartment, pointing to a struggle. Nelson died of head injuries. His body was found three days later, on Dec. 31.

Schmidt's name came up during the police investigation when someone mentioned Schmidt was Nelson's friend.

"(We) then talked to him,'' Cedar Rapids police Lt. Kenneth Washburn said. "We were trying to contact (Nelson's) friends and co-workers.''

Schmidt was arrested about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, at the end of the second interview, and was taken to the Linn County Jail. His bail was set at $1 million. If convicted, he would go to prison for life.

Curl, Schmidt's fiancee, said she'd talked to Schmidt since his arrest and described him as "devastated.''

She said Schmidt had told her Nelson refused to pay him money owed for car repairs. He said he used a barstool to defend himself when Nelson came at him with needle nose pliers. He told her Nelson was alive when he left the apartment.

Curl said Schmidt was "like a stepfather'' to her four children -- ages 3, 4, 5 and 6 -- and often baby-sat while she worked as a restaurant cashier. The two have been together, she said, for 2-1/2 years since meeting at work at MCI.

Curl and Schmidt had moved into the 12th Avenue SE home in November. They had lived at 1504 Sixth Ave. SE for six months before that until they were evicted for non-payment of rent, landlord John Thompson said.

Most recently, Schmidt worked at Area Tree Service of Cedar Rapids. Wayne Breeden, owner of the business, said Thursday he "was in a state of shock'' over the arrest.

"He split some wood for me. He seemed like a nice kid,'' Breeden said, noting that Schmidt arrived late for work at times.

Breeden laid off Schmidt in early December when seasonal work ended.

Court records indicate Schmidt had worked in auto
repair and as a millwright. Since 2000, he had worked at
jobs in Mason City and Cedar Rapids, records show.

Schmidt was sentenced to two years in federal prison in 2000 for possession of 12 stolen firearms (pistols, shotguns, rifles and a revolver) and later for failure to appear for a court hearing, court records show.

He was released but sent back to prison when he failed to stay out of trouble -- violating rules at a community corrections center and being kicked out of a residential facility. He lived in Cedar Rapids after being released from federal custody in late 2005.

Schmidt's grandmother, Carol Schmidt, 70, of Charles City, told The Gazette she was surprised by the arrest.

"He had straightened his life out. I don't think Christopher would do something like this. He never fought with anyone,'' she said.

She said Schmidt was born in Charles City in north-central Iowa. He moved to California with his mother, then moved back and forth between Charles City and California while growing up.

Nelson moved to Cedar Rapids after graduating from Atlantic High School in 2000 because two sisters lived here. He attended Kirkwood Community College, studying culinary arts and computers, but hadn't earned a degree.

He had been working at APAC for about six months and living at The Roosevelt for a month or two.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:09:05 AM by driftingblizzard »

Litigious

« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2007, 06:36:16 AM »

Death will come anyway. I prefer freedom as long as I live. It isn't freedom to be helpless. It's an insult to license the human right to defend your own life with whatever means are necessary.

Litigious

« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2007, 06:43:09 AM »
I am not making this up folks. I couldn't if I tried....  Quoted from MyDeathSpace.com...

Christopher R. Schmidt, who served more than two years in federal prison for possessing stolen guns, used barstools to beat his friend to death .

Oh, my goodness! Why aren't bar stools licensed or banned? They're deadly weapons! (Yes, it's irony, I paraphrase the anti-gunners, the "reasoning" is in its logical form exactly the same).

Litigious

« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »
The firarm issue is and always will be one of political power within a society.

In Europe most people have accepted the absurd legislation concerning firearms. The few legal owners of firearms (less than 10% of the population in Sweden, for example) aren't fighting for it to become a right, they're cowering to have the privilege to keep hunting and shooting on paper targets and nothing more... I'm afraid that most Americans sooner or later will believe in the fear propaganda as well, and then law abiding citizens in the entire civilized world will be helpless against criminals and power-abusing governments... :(

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »
power abusin governments.  that is my main issue.

when, for example the government decides to scrap social security (the great promise and something that i have paid in taxes, 6.2 percent, for life), i would hope that several americans would march to capitol hill and re-sieze control of the government.
there will come a time when the citizenry will HAVE TO stop bending over, and demand their rights.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
power abusin governments.  that is my main issue.

when, for example the government decides to scrap social security (the great promise and something that i have paid in taxes, 6.2 percent, for life), i would hope that several americans would march to capitol hill and re-sieze control of the government.
there will come a time when the citizenry will HAVE TO stop bending over, and demand their rights.

We pay very high taxes here, but the social security becomes weaker and weaker for almost every year now. My parents have paid taxes for over 40 years to get good pensions when they retire, but in 1997 the government scraped the old pension system, so that they will get about 40% less (!!!) than they would have gotten with the old system. That's theft, and those swindlers get away with it. There were barely any protests against it...and then they complain that politicians here are despised and threathened to life. Those fuckers deserve life-threats. They can be glad that there are so few people actually owning guns here and that the few who do seem to be very obedient...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »
barely any protests against it.
now that is cowardly.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »
Yep.  :(

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2007, 02:07:20 PM »
The use of firarms to prevent crime outnumbers the crimes commited with guns by 50% in the U.S. It kind of makes the "crime issue" moot. The firarm issue is and always will be one of political power within a society.

Why does it make the "crime issue" moot? I honestly don't understand.  ???

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2007, 02:11:38 PM »

Christopher R. Schmidt, who served more than two years in federal prison for possessing stolen guns, used barstools to beat his friend to death .

Oh, my goodness! Why aren't bar stools licensed or banned? They're deadly weapons! (Yes, it's irony, I paraphrase the anti-gunners, the "reasoning" is in its logical form exactly the same).

Need I point out that barstools have other uses as well, but most firearms don't?

- Albert Einstein