Educational

Author Topic: The right to bear arms  (Read 19137 times)

Scrapheap

Re: The right to bear arms
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
It pisses me off that we can have guns, but absinthe is illegal and the drinking age is 21. The US really isn't that free. Most countries allow their citizens to drink at 18. At least I turn 21 in a little less than 2 months and can get some absinthe when I go to Australia, though.  ;D

I can agree with you on that one!!

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »
[
I wasn't referring to you in my post. I was referring mainly to this post:

You're passing the task of armed protection onto mercenaries (Police). If you're dumb enough to do that, you deserve to be bullied by those whom you have empowered.

To clarify my post, I wasn't calling YOU dumb I was calling your ACTIONS dumb. There's a difference.
I simply think that when people do dumb things, the need to suffer the consequences. Pain is a great teacher.

To illistrate my point, think of every type of prohibition that has been tried.

Prohibition of Alcohol = made orginised crime entrenched and wealthy.

Prohibition of Pot= made whoever could grow and sell it wealthy

Prohibition of Cocaine= made Columbian street thugs wealthier than kings

Prohibition of Abortion (Romania) = created massive population of orphans who when they became teenagers, created massive crime wave that toppled government.

Prohibition (extreme taxation) of Tobacco= Making Canadian smugglers rich by selling cheap (tax free) ciggarets in US.

Is anyone else seeing a pattern here????? ANYONE??  Bueller??? Bueller???

How are my ACTIONS dumb if I'm just stating my OPINION? You act as if I went out and banned all guns myself or something.  ::)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2006, 09:46:19 PM »
It pisses me off that we can have guns, but absinthe is illegal and the drinking age is 21. The US really isn't that free. Most countries allow their citizens to drink at 18. At least I turn 21 in a little less than 2 months and can get some absinthe when I go to Australia, though.  ;D

I can agree with you on that one!!

At least we agree on something.  ;D

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2006, 01:55:49 AM »
How are my ACTIONS dumb if I'm just stating my OPINION?

It was incredibly dumb of you to state your opinion. ;) ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2006, 01:59:19 AM »

i didn't realize that we were talking about anarchism.
now i am completely on board.

We didn't exactly talk about anarchism, but on the other hand, yes, I think modern "democracy" actually is a fraud. It's not the will of the people that is brought out, it's the will of politicians and buinessmen.

We are mostly in agreement on this. Problem is, we don't have a viable alternative. It's easier to sell the concept of democracy to the masses, however, since it gives them the illusion of freedom.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2006, 05:25:13 AM »

It's 18 to drink in a restaurant or bar in Sweden, if I'm not mistaken, but it's 20 to buy alcohol in liquor stores. The state has a liquor store monopoly here, despite the fact that the EU has stated it illegal to have state monopolys on alcohol.

But it's no problem at all to get alcohol or drugs illegaly in Sweden. Any kid can get hold of booze or ecstasy if he wants to.

In Greece, there is no age limit at all. Haven't seen any drunken kids in bars there, though.  8)

Litigious

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2006, 05:45:11 AM »

We are mostly in agreement on this. Problem is, we don't have a viable alternative. It's easier to sell the concept of democracy to the masses, however, since it gives them the illusion of freedom.

Aspie dictatorship.  :evillaugh:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2006, 09:40:45 AM »

Aspie dictatorship.  :evillaugh:

You've got my vote on that... erm, right. Can we vote on dictatorship? ???

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2006, 09:50:36 AM »
Yes. Once. Like the Germans did. You can only vote on me, of course.  :evillaugh: ;)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2006, 09:52:58 AM »
I think we'll have a civil war before long.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2006, 09:55:41 AM »
 :green:

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2006, 11:30:43 PM »
Is Sweden that volatile. ;D
Guardian of the Empire

Litigious

« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2006, 01:54:08 AM »
It might be if Black Bart of the Aspie Elite came to power.  ;D

Litigious

« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2006, 02:10:44 AM »
The state has a liquor store monopoly here, despite the fact that the EU has stated it illegal to have state monopolys on alcohol.

To be serious again: This is just one proof that the state is criminal. Which citizen could act like this? But the state can do it, because the EU won't start a war or even an economic boycott of Sweden for breaking the union's laws, when it's "just" breaking the law against state liquor monopolies. The state can do whatever it pleases, as long as no stronger state/s or overstate organisation/s will act and stop it. Like criminals do. As long as the cops or other criminals don't stop them, they will just go on and get away with their shit.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2006, 03:07:46 AM »
Actually the Swedish alcohol monopoly is not illegal in the EU because there has been no definitive decision on this from the EU council and the Swedish state is still claiming public health concerns as the primary reason, as far as I know.

Note that Finland has a similar monopoly.

I'm not saying that the monopoly is a good thing, but I think you should tone down the rhetorics a bit. If you want to get rid of the monopoly, labelling the state as criminals will not get you closer to your goal.

- Albert Einstein