Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84169 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #1110 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
Sometimes the obvious is the hardest to see.

Hide in plain sight.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1111 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »

Hide in plain sight.

Your Majesty, are you going undercover?    :toporly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1112 on: April 09, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »

Hide in plain sight.

No, just a  :facepalm2: about a member's name.  You can't sneak dawn past this rooster.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #1113 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »

Hide in plain sight.

No, just a  :facepalm2: about a member's name.  You can't sneak dawn past this rooster.

Oh no! El-Presidente, your cover has been blown!
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1114 on: April 10, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
Oh, for those of you insecure enough, or hating wrinkles enough, to try this Dutch invention (yeah, that does make me so proud... ), here it is:

It leaves the breasts uncovered. So, who knows, it may be THE feature during lovemaking.  :bounce:

more foolishness.

Yet, it is supposed to be of udder importance.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1115 on: April 10, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »

Hide in plain sight.

Those easter eggs always took the longest to be found.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #1116 on: April 10, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
Oh, for those of you insecure enough, or hating wrinkles enough, to try this Dutch invention (yeah, that does make me so proud... ), here it is:

It leaves the breasts uncovered. So, who knows, it may be THE feature during lovemaking.  :bounce:

more foolishness.

Yet, it is supposed to be of udder importance.

groan.
Misunderstood.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1117 on: April 10, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »
17 years in the making, this spring's cicada invasion generates early buzz

After hanging around underground for 17 years, billions of flying bugs known as cicadas are due to sweep over the East Coast starting sometime in the next month. And although it's too early to predict exactly where or when the brood will appear, this spring's emergence should rate as the most closely watched bug-out in history.

"For entomophobes, this is the season of despair. For the entomophiles, this is the season of joy," said University of Maryland entomologist Michael Raupp, using highfalutin terms for bug-haters and bug-lovers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The outbreak is expected to start in the Carolinas in April or early May, and work its way up northward to Washington, Philadelphia and New York by early June. Some observers have already reported the first signs of the emergence. The timing depends on the weather: Cicadas dig "escape chimneys" up from the ground where they've been maturing for the past 17 years — and when the temperature reaches 64 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius), that signals the insects to rise up, wriggle out of their shells, take wing and look for mates.

The bugs are mostly harmless to plants and humans. The worst a cicada can do is poke you with its pointy proboscis. But the 90-decibel buzz of a sky-darkening swarm can be a bit unnerving to the unprepared. Raupp recalls one harrowing tale from 1962's outbreak, when "the kids were shrieking in the playgrounds as cicadas divebombed them."

In Raupp's view, however, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. The cicada nymphs help aerate garden soil with their burrowing, and when they emerge, the bugs represent a culinary bonanza for birds and other species. (They're said to taste like asparagus. Or shrimp.)

Besides, cicadas are cool. "Without a doubt, they are a true marvel of nature and one that should be enjoyed whenever possible," Raupp writes on his Bug of the Week blog.

It's thought that the 17-year life cycle arose to keep the cicadas' predators off their game, and perhaps make the most of climatic variations. Scientists even suspect that the number 17's status as a prime number plays a role. (Some periodical cicada species emerge every 13 years, and 13 is also a prime number.)

This particular group of cicadas, known as Brood II, hasn't surfaced since 1996. But other broods have had their own day in the sun during the intervening years. The big ones include Brood X ("The Big Brood"), which last came out in 2004; and the 13-year Brood XIX ("The Great Southern Brood"), which emerged in 2011.

This year's brood is notable in that it should spread out over the United States' most densely populated region. Entomologists expect the cicadas to show up in the countryside, in woodsy suburbs and even in urban locales such as New York's Central Park.

The New York-based Radiolab science show is preparing for "Swarmageddon" by helping citizen scientists build soil thermometers. Readings from the "cicada detectors" are being shared via an interactive Cicada Tracker map. Meanwhile, the Magicicada website keeps up its own database of cicada sightings. That website, supported by the National Geographic Society, also provides tons of information about the species and what to do with them. (But if it's recipes you need, you might have to look elsewhere.)

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/09/17676853-17-years-in-the-making-this-springs-cicada-invasion-generates-early-buzz?lite

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1118 on: April 14, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
Gentle Thoughts for Today

> A penny saved is a
> Government oversight.
>
>
> The older you get, the tougher
> It is to lose weight, because by
> Then your body and your fat have
> Gotten to be really good friends.
>
>
> The easiest way to find
> Something lost around the
> House is to buy a replacement ..
>
>
> He who hesitates is probably right.
>
>
> Did you ever notice: The Roman
> Numerals for forty (40) are  'XL'.
>
> The sole purpose of a child's
> Middle name is so he can
> Tell when he's really in trouble.
>
>
> Did you ever notice: When you
> Put the 2 words 'The' and 'IRS'
> Together it spells 'Theirs....'
>
>
> Aging: Eventually you will
> Reach a point when you stop
> Lying about your age and
> Start bragging about it.
>
>
> Some people try to turn back
> Their odometers. Not me, I want
> People to know 'why' I look this
> Way.  I've traveled a long way and
> Some of the roads weren't paved.
>
>
> When you are dissatisfied and
> Would like to go back to your
> Youth, think of Algebra.
>
>
> You know you are getting
> Old when everything either
> Dries up or leaks.
>
>
> One of the many things no
> One tells you about aging
> Is that it is such a nice change
> From being young.  Ah, being
> Young is beautiful, but being
> Old is comfortable.
>
>
> Lord, Keep your arm around
> My shoulder and your hand
> Over my mouth . . . AMEN!

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #1119 on: April 15, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »
Found a soulless young turtle dove under the big spruce in the garden this morning. It fell out of the nest and ja, shamefully died last night. What amazes me is how the parents of the unfortunate little bird just go about their normal stuff and kinda act like nothing happened.

Yes yes, I know I should not 'anthropomorphize' stuff but still..

*note to self: birds tend to be tot. pragmatic when one of their offspring falls to the ground (whilst not yet being able to fly).. there's just no way they can help the poor little fella, I think*
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:04:46 PM by lutra »
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #1120 on: April 15, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
17 years in the making, this spring's cicada invasion generates early buzz

After hanging around underground for 17 years, billions of flying bugs known as cicadas are due to sweep over the East Coast starting sometime in the next month. And although it's too early to predict exactly where or when the brood will appear, this spring's emergence should rate as the most closely watched bug-out in history.

"For entomophobes, this is the season of despair. For the entomophiles, this is the season of joy," said University of Maryland entomologist Michael Raupp, using highfalutin terms for bug-haters and bug-lovers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The outbreak is expected to start in the Carolinas in April or early May, and work its way up northward to Washington, Philadelphia and New York by early June. Some observers have already reported the first signs of the emergence. The timing depends on the weather: Cicadas dig "escape chimneys" up from the ground where they've been maturing for the past 17 years — and when the temperature reaches 64 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius), that signals the insects to rise up, wriggle out of their shells, take wing and look for mates.

The bugs are mostly harmless to plants and humans. The worst a cicada can do is poke you with its pointy proboscis. But the 90-decibel buzz of a sky-darkening swarm can be a bit unnerving to the unprepared. Raupp recalls one harrowing tale from 1962's outbreak, when "the kids were shrieking in the playgrounds as cicadas divebombed them."

In Raupp's view, however, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. The cicada nymphs help aerate garden soil with their burrowing, and when they emerge, the bugs represent a culinary bonanza for birds and other species. (They're said to taste like asparagus. Or shrimp.)

Besides, cicadas are cool. "Without a doubt, they are a true marvel of nature and one that should be enjoyed whenever possible," Raupp writes on his Bug of the Week blog.

It's thought that the 17-year life cycle arose to keep the cicadas' predators off their game, and perhaps make the most of climatic variations. Scientists even suspect that the number 17's status as a prime number plays a role. (Some periodical cicada species emerge every 13 years, and 13 is also a prime number.)

This particular group of cicadas, known as Brood II, hasn't surfaced since 1996. But other broods have had their own day in the sun during the intervening years. The big ones include Brood X ("The Big Brood"), which last came out in 2004; and the 13-year Brood XIX ("The Great Southern Brood"), which emerged in 2011.

This year's brood is notable in that it should spread out over the United States' most densely populated region. Entomologists expect the cicadas to show up in the countryside, in woodsy suburbs and even in urban locales such as New York's Central Park.

The New York-based Radiolab science show is preparing for "Swarmageddon" by helping citizen scientists build soil thermometers. Readings from the "cicada detectors" are being shared via an interactive Cicada Tracker map. Meanwhile, the Magicicada website keeps up its own database of cicada sightings. That website, supported by the National Geographic Society, also provides tons of information about the species and what to do with them. (But if it's recipes you need, you might have to look elsewhere.)

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/09/17676853-17-years-in-the-making-this-springs-cicada-invasion-generates-early-buzz?lite

I like cicadas. As a kid I used to collect the skins left by the cicada nymphs.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1121 on: April 15, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »
  Doing income taxes is much easier with only one job and one W-2.  :thumbup:

People forget.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1122 on: April 15, 2013, 05:09:14 PM »
It's  tax day first time in years I go my done early and was not stressed out by April 15
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #1123 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »
I wonder if some newscaster will draw a random connection between tax day and bombs.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1124 on: April 15, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
It's  tax day first time in years I go my done early and was not stressed out by April 15

I filed mine before 9 a.m. today.  For me that is early.  :P

People forget.