Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84195 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #6030 on: January 16, 2024, 03:56:51 PM »
My volcano erupted again!! :GA:

Is that the one in Iceland?

YES!

A little south of the previous one, but a second fissure opened like 200m away from houses. 2 or 3 buildings burnt down before the lava cooled and slowed.
This is wild. What if there's another eruption in a month again?

They're used to it, in a way. At least brought up with it being a distinct possibility.

I'd love to go there one day. My mum went a few years ago when she would still travel. Said it was amazing. Me, I'd certainly like to see the volcanoes but the geeky me also wants to visit Bobby Fischer's grave.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6031 on: January 16, 2024, 04:08:22 PM »
Had an absolutely nonsensical product meeting today where the powers that be wanted to figure out how to deploy our three products, including mine, as a single package.

Nothing was said about why the three needed to be a package - they are very different, with differing requirements, functions, use cases, etc - or what that particular vision might look like. Nor was it a consideration that their respective requirements in "the cloud" (they used the word as a mantra) are very likely to be a) different and b) clash. Their practical singular focus was deployment, with a suggestion of a single security clearance rather than three separate ones.

In vain, I asked what the vision - the benefit of doing this - was. I pointed out that while I can certainly see that there are some commonalities, the act of getting the three products to talk to each other will itself drive the design of each product but also any interface and system requirement, so wouldn't it be nice if we did all that first...?

Nope. We need to understand what it takes to deploy them.

So I named the effort "The Field orf Dreams". If you build it they will come. I will look for a t-shirt to wear for a coming product meeting.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #6032 on: January 16, 2024, 09:08:37 PM »
It's too goddamn cold.

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #6033 on: January 16, 2024, 10:32:34 PM »
I'm a lonely bastard

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6034 on: January 18, 2024, 04:53:01 PM »
I visited a so-called secure site today. This was for a customer meeting. The advance info suggested that I needed to keep an ID on hand, and the visit was preceded by a ridiculously bureaucratic security check, including character references. Yet, it was a non-event. The customer contact was waiting at the reception and the security guy handed me a visitor's badge without a second look.

Disappointing.

- Albert Einstein

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #6035 on: January 18, 2024, 08:13:10 PM »
For my stories, I want to retain information that is useful for the plot and context. Sure it's weird, but I can handle the strangeness... because the creator of the strangeness is me.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6036 on: January 19, 2024, 07:10:00 AM »
I have a blood blister on my temple. It's a very odd place to have one :apondering:

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #6037 on: January 19, 2024, 05:02:42 PM »
Alina Habba is a Squirrel... wait... wrong thread?

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6038 on: January 20, 2024, 06:19:05 AM »
Obviously all my ceiling fans need lubrication. This one in my home office is squeaking!

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #6039 on: January 20, 2024, 06:22:25 PM »
Obviously all my ceiling fans need lubrication. This one in my home office is squeaking!

:orly: wtf

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6040 on: January 21, 2024, 06:36:49 AM »
Careful, there.
Reading between the lines is a learned skill and often less informative than one might expect.

Fans, even dedicated ones, often do not require the same lubrication as other members might.

Just sayin'  ...

:lol1:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6041 on: January 21, 2024, 06:39:27 AM »
On the other hand, I do wonder at how the employment of ceiling fans could add to the pleasure.

:trollskull:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6042 on: January 21, 2024, 07:10:50 AM »
Nobody is participating in ANY pleasure until the ceiling fans are working as they should. It's summer down here for god's sake. :zombiefuck:

Lubricating as in, need some small machine oil or something. Some of my fan's are spinning as slow as shit, despite being switched to the highest speed.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6043 on: January 21, 2024, 11:41:22 AM »
3-in-1 oil is one of the best or what ever might also be recommended for sewing machines. You just need a fine, light oil for fan bearings.

Ceiling fans are the worst to get to. You might have to remove a covering of some sort to find how to best oil the squeaky parts.
If you have to remove the fan blades, make sure you mark them and replace them in the same spots. Otherwise you will have some leveling to do once the blades are back in place. You may still have some leveling to do.

Having a grin at your dilemma is built into my bones. I can't say I'm sorry, because I'm not.
 :lol1:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6044 on: January 21, 2024, 03:41:57 PM »
Saw a Citroen 2CV parked just around the corner here. It's not what you'd expect to see with all the snow we have right now. That thing can't possibly have any grip.

- Albert Einstein