Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84168 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5385 on: November 01, 2022, 06:04:02 PM »
I recently saw a youtube video of an Australian person. They didn't have a stereotypical accent but something in their speech caught my attention. Then more recently I was watching a baking show that also had an Australian person who did the same thing. They both used a k sound at the end of ing words, like somethink and anythink. I wonder if this is a common occurrence or maybe regional like different accents in the US. I also wonder if it's done for all ing words, or only the ones ending with thing.  :dunno:

I'm sure there is some of it up in Minnesota/Midwest US that have those dialects... possibly in parts of New England as well.

I've heard people dropping the g, but I've never heard anyone in the US use a k instead of a g.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5386 on: November 01, 2022, 06:07:35 PM »
I recently saw a youtube video of an Australian person. They didn't have a stereotypical accent but something in their speech caught my attention. Then more recently I was watching a baking show that also had an Australian person who did the same thing. They both used a k sound at the end of ing words, like somethink and anythink. I wonder if this is a common occurrence or maybe regional like different accents in the US. I also wonder if it's done for all ing words, or only the ones ending with thing.  :dunno:

I'm sure there is some of it up in Minnesota/Midwest US that have those dialects... possibly in parts of New England as well.

I've heard people dropping the g, but I've never heard anyone in the US use a k instead of a g.  :dunno:

Don't be too surprised

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5387 on: November 01, 2022, 06:10:51 PM »

Don't be too surprised

Have you heard anyone do it?  :orly:

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5388 on: November 01, 2022, 06:17:39 PM »

Don't be too surprised

Yeah... down in South Africa I heard it... even down in Pakistan and Greece. I think the Romanian guy in Greece had a hard time with clearing his English up.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5389 on: November 01, 2022, 06:23:35 PM »

Don't be too surprised

Yeah... down in South Africa I heard it... even down in Pakistan and Greece. I think the Romanian guy in Greece had a hard time with clearing his English up.

I meant in the US.  :lol1: I was trying to say I don't think it's a US regional thing, because you seemed to be saying it is.  :dunno:

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5390 on: November 01, 2022, 06:25:10 PM »

Don't be too surprised

I meant in the US.  :lol1: I was trying to say I don't think it's a US regional thing, because you seemed to be saying it is.  :dunno:

oops

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5391 on: November 01, 2022, 07:40:27 PM »
No, we're not meant to talk like that.

I've been listening to American proofreading course presentations and I've heard her say "sentence" without saying the "t". It's very apparent when Australians say it. Also "niche". We say "neesh" while Americans say "nich".
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5392 on: November 02, 2022, 06:15:49 PM »
No, we're not meant to talk like that.

I've been listening to American proofreading course presentations and I've heard her say "sentence" without saying the "t". It's very apparent when Australians say it. Also "niche". We say "neesh" while Americans say "nich".

I didn't think anyone means to say it that way, these thinks just happen.  :zoinks:  It's just something I noticed, so I wondered how common it is there. I say sentence with a t, but I think Brits and Aussies tend to enunciate each syllable more than Americans do in general. The niche thing is more like tomayto/tomahto to me, so I don't think that's too weird. I also say it with an e sound though. :dunno:

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5393 on: November 03, 2022, 01:18:09 PM »
I'm hiding in the basement, and I love it!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5394 on: November 03, 2022, 04:02:58 PM »
Writing something heartfelt to commemorate a person we loved dearly is hard work.  Carla approved it before I sent it off.  Writing does not come easy to me.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5395 on: November 03, 2022, 08:52:49 PM »
I don't want my anger to consume me... it's just hard to avoid it though

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5396 on: November 04, 2022, 04:58:06 AM »
One of the partners at work finally got his payout from the others yesterday....why is he still on the premises?

Online Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5397 on: November 04, 2022, 12:45:53 PM »
Yoshi likes being in my room... especially since I have a new cover on my bed.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5398 on: November 05, 2022, 05:39:59 PM »
Nothing random about any of it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5399 on: November 05, 2022, 09:01:58 PM »
Nothing random about any of it.

Except walmart upper mgmt. planning.  The shit show for xmas continues.   :grrr:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant