Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84185 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5310 on: September 27, 2022, 09:51:21 PM »
i have never been more incensed at work than I was tonight.  I seriously want to choke slam several mgrs. into a deep fat fryer.  :mischief:
What happened?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5311 on: September 28, 2022, 12:07:03 PM »
i have never been more incensed at work than I was tonight.  I seriously want to choke slam several mgrs. into a deep fat fryer.  :mischief:
What happened?

I was working my usual stocking job in the paper aisle.  And I need certain tools, a ladder cart to reach the top to either put stuff up there or take stuff down.  I also have a hook type grabber thingy on a small handle to get at stuff that would otherwise be out of reach.  Finally I have my water bottle and a plastic garbage bag to put the plastic in for recycling.  In short the stuff I need to do my job.  And lastly, at the time of day, they pull all the associates to do zoning.  Which is pulling stuff from the back of the shelves to the front, to give the illusion of full shelves.  So I'm dealing with my job of stocking, dealing with customer questions and a horde of fellow worker crammed into the aisle that I am working in.  Now I leave my cart out in the center aisle to be available if I need it, with my grabber tool, bag and water bottle on top of it.  It's a bit stressful for me to say the least.....my break time comes and I go for it.  I come back, my fucking cart is gone, including the tool that I made to use.  Just gone, I am pissed, I can't find it anywhere.  I go to the manager working and the f'ing bitch just laughs and blows me off.  As does another mgr.  Disrespect to the MAX.  I manage to catch sight of my cart and stuff before I explode.  I grab it back and put it back where I left it.  I try to calm down, take deep breaths and manage to get control of my emotions.  But, underneath, I am still simmering.  I go home simmering and manage to relax with difficulty, with my hot shower and a couple of shots of brandy.  I also have a lot of other things weighing on my mind outside of work at walmart.    :boxers: :stick: :tantrum: :bangbang: :smash:  Sensory overload was on full display, Fortunately, I am off for the week and Carla and I get some needed time off together on Saturday. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5312 on: September 28, 2022, 02:07:39 PM »
I think someone is living in the storage unit next to mine.  I wouldn't  mind but they are acting very weird peeking at me though their door which is only cracked open and such
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5313 on: September 28, 2022, 04:40:39 PM »
I think someone is living in the storage unit next to mine.  I wouldn't  mind but they are acting very weird peeking at me though their door which is only cracked open and such

That would weird me out too.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5314 on: September 28, 2022, 07:43:24 PM »
^That's weird.

rock hound, I understand. The same has happened to me where I volunteer though nowhere as stressful as your situation. I hang and tag clothes which is pretty easy work. Last Friday I put the tagging gun down on the table next to the tray full of tags and went to lunch. When I came back, it was gone. I got anxious because it had my needle in it. Everyone has their own needle due to hygiene reasons. It didn't take long for me to find the culprit. He was tagging soft toys. He had finished and the tagging gun was just sitting on the bench. I said to him to ask next time and use his own needle.

What a pain. I get stressed when my things are moved by other people without my knowing.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5315 on: September 28, 2022, 09:19:06 PM »
^That's weird.

rock hound, I understand. The same has happened to me where I volunteer though nowhere as stressful as your situation. I hang and tag clothes which is pretty easy work. Last Friday I put the tagging gun down on the table next to the tray full of tags and went to lunch. When I came back, it was gone. I got anxious because it had my needle in it. Everyone has their own needle due to hygiene reasons. It didn't take long for me to find the culprit. He was tagging soft toys. He had finished and the tagging gun was just sitting on the bench. I said to him to ask next time and use his own needle.

What a pain. I get stressed when my things are moved by other people without my knowing.

I hear you.  Thanks for understanding!   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5316 on: September 29, 2022, 05:02:40 PM »
There are two people in the unit they at least said hello today and are not being so secretive though I did have to listen to them arguing as I put my flea market stuff away
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5317 on: September 30, 2022, 05:27:22 AM »
I bought some grapefruit at the store yesterday and just had one.
MAN! They are wonderful this year.
These came from California.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5318 on: September 30, 2022, 01:37:45 PM »
Watching the news is a clusterfuck these days. Invariably there's going to be something that will fuck you over, and there's usually a hint of something that will do it later.

Climate change, check. Yup, give it time.

Asteroids, yup. DART is absurd, tbh. The only reason you're not worried is because you haven't done the math.

Trump. Yup, the fact that he's not making sense at all is of no consequence to anyone.

Putin. 'nuff said.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5319 on: October 04, 2022, 05:29:37 AM »
My new drivers are really breaking in nicely.
I've only had power to them for just over two weeks, but they are sounding great even with just a whisper worth of volume.

I have been powering them with my old McIntosh to force some movement out of them when I am home alone and can really crank them up.

I will eventually add a subwoofer system to the mix, but for now, I am just enjoying the amazing clarity. These will replace my Visatons for full range.
Not sure if my custom built JBLs will do the lows or if the pre-Klipsch Jamos will be called to duty. I'm not going with a boxed sub system, all open baffle. You can never go back to boxes once you have experienced a really good Open Baffle system.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 05:32:20 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5320 on: October 04, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
That outfit that the kpop idol was wearing in France is too cute. Then again... she's a cute girl, what can you expect from me? I like the cute types, no matter what their background is.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5321 on: October 04, 2022, 02:27:39 PM »
I've only had power to them for just over two weeks, but they are sounding great even with just a whisper worth of volume.

I have been powering them with my old McIntosh to force some movement out of them when I am home alone and can really crank them up.

I will eventually add a subwoofer system to the mix, but for now, I am just enjoying the amazing clarity. These will replace my Visatons for full range.
Not sure if my custom built JBLs will do the lows or if the pre-Klipsch Jamos will be called to duty. I'm not going with a boxed sub system, all open baffle. You can never go back to boxes once you have experienced a really good Open Baffle system.

Two things:

I have yet to own Klipsch speakers. I think I am lacking. I attended a HiFi exhibition last weekend. There was a Klipsch demo that I absolutely adored. It was mostly ridiculously hi-end stuff, all of it, with price tags bordering on the ridiculous, but the Klipsch demo was fairly affordable and had this stunningly live, punchy sound that I really want. The speakers are too large for anything I have at the moment - not objectively large, btw - but sooooo good. I wantsssssss them.

Second, re open baffle: I do not mind an open back - I would look at the back wall and make sure to dampen it. However, for cinema setups, the baffle is a wall surrounding the fronts of the speakers, all of them, L to C to R, and for a good reason. Directly in front of the speakers there's a screen, which is (mostly) why, but I believe there's loudspeaker theory for that wall in other ways, too.

For reference, this is a fairly typical cinema baffle: https://blogs.qsc.com/app/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/Baffle-Wall-v.2-550x367.jpg

Note the sub openings.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5322 on: October 04, 2022, 06:25:34 PM »
The windows look wicked filthy since the storm, but window cleaning is still two weeks away.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5323 on: October 04, 2022, 07:26:06 PM »

Two things:

I have yet to own Klipsch speakers. I think I am lacking. I attended a HiFi exhibition last weekend. There was a Klipsch demo that I absolutely adored. It was mostly ridiculously hi-end stuff, all of it, with price tags bordering on the ridiculous, but the Klipsch demo was fairly affordable and had this stunningly live, punchy sound that I really want. The speakers are too large for anything I have at the moment - not objectively large, btw - but sooooo good. I wantsssssss them.

Second, re open baffle: I do not mind an open back - I would look at the back wall and make sure to dampen it. However, for cinema setups, the baffle is a wall surrounding the fronts of the speakers, all of them, L to C to R, and for a good reason. Directly in front of the speakers there's a screen, which is (mostly) why, but I believe there's loudspeaker theory for that wall in other ways, too.

For reference, this is a fairly typical cinema baffle: https://blogs.qsc.com/app/uploads/sites/5/2020/05/Baffle-Wall-v.2-550x367.jpg

Note the sub openings.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I know that front theater speaker systems are required to fire through the projection screen with some degree of fidelity.

And yes, the screen affects the sound and the loading of the drivers.
Lots of the old Westinghouse and Altec theater systems were horn loaded in front and open baffle in the rear.

Mine are not anything like that.
I am energizing a tiny listening room, 12'x14'x9' and I do have bass traps along the wall/floor junction. I had them in the upright corners at first, like most people say to do, but they work better the way I have them now, mounted to the wall at the floor, laying sideways.

I was not diss'ing Klipsch as much as warning about what they did to the Jamo company when they bought them out.
The Jamo infinite baffle drivers I have were made in the early '90s, before Klipsch took over the factory.
They were designed to be used in various open baffle or open back installations.
I have started an "H" baffle for them to operate at a 90 degree angle from my Full range drivers, thus further eliminating room modes, nodes and nulls, by way of dual bi-cardiod dipole propagation patterns separated by 90 degrees.

I had this before using an "L" shaped open baffle and it really worked well. My goal is to get these "H" baffles up and introduce a third 90 degree angle of propagation of the bi-cardiod dipole pattern.
Not quite inverse Blumlein, yet but with speakers, it's close.

It was amazing how the low bass evened out with just two plane patterns propagating at 90 degrees apart. That is why I am building an "H" baffle, so I can set them at 90 degrees and push another plane into the room, further complicating the room mode, node and null situation and hopefully smoothing it out even further.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:31:09 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5324 on: October 06, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »
Open baffle theatre design was very common in the 50s, I believe, when they first started equipping cinemas with 4-channel magnetic sound.

And now that I think of it, I've seen a few older theatres where they would embed surround woofers in the back wall panels. Nothing behind them except for the concrete walls. Not a brilliant solution. They had 80 Volt signals.

- Albert Einstein