Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84181 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5130 on: May 16, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »
when I shopped on Friday. My medicine alarm went off while I was driving to the store, so I forgot to take them when I got back home.
Back to this again ...

Your alarm, is it a phone app or do you use the phone's clock settings as a reminder?
Just curious.
I have set my phone clock to go off to remind me at times, but for that to work requires my phone to be close at all times. That is not always the case, so I stopped bothering people.
I do have a warning from my internals that becomes noticeable if I go too long without my tachycardia meds. My heart does the "Jump frantically a few beats and wait" thing that the meds prevent.
Just wondering if your alarm was internal or from a device.

It's not an app, only the alarm settings in the clock. I can set it to vibrate if wanted, but I use a sound since it goes off in the evening. I'm usually really good about remembering to take meds, and not letting frequently used things completely run out in the house. The alarm is really for Sugarbutt. He kept forgetting his evening meds but he doesn't like alarms, although he seems fine with me using an alarm to remind me to remind him to take them. So, now I use and alarm and just take my meds the same time as him. He didn't miss any, so I guess I was reminding him and then not doing it for myself.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5131 on: May 17, 2022, 04:36:42 PM »
when I shopped on Friday. My medicine alarm went off while I was driving to the store, so I forgot to take them when I got back home.
Back to this again ...

Your alarm, is it a phone app or do you use the phone's clock settings as a reminder?
Just curious.
I have set my phone clock to go off to remind me at times, but for that to work requires my phone to be close at all times. That is not always the case, so I stopped bothering people.
I do have a warning from my internals that becomes noticeable if I go too long without my tachycardia meds. My heart does the "Jump frantically a few beats and wait" thing that the meds prevent.
Just wondering if your alarm was internal or from a device.

It's not an app, only the alarm settings in the clock. I can set it to vibrate if wanted, but I use a sound since it goes off in the evening. I'm usually really good about remembering to take meds, and not letting frequently used things completely run out in the house. The alarm is really for Sugarbutt. He kept forgetting his evening meds but he doesn't like alarms, although he seems fine with me using an alarm to remind me to remind him to take them. So, now I use and alarm and just take my meds the same time as him. He didn't miss any, so I guess I was reminding him and then not doing it for myself.  :lol1:

I find the boldy part very familiar.
My son's new job, he goes in at seven AM and I drive him. He is not yet driving at twenty three. We have done lots and lots of driving, but he just will not try it on his own or take the tests.

His alarm is always set for him to arise early enough to be ready. Unfortunately, all my kids are just like me; none of them, (including my two elder sons from two different women) actually ever sleep, except for cat naps and such.
I am sleeping more at my age, but I awaken (to pee, no story here. move along. At least I still awaken, BEFORE.) and find him eating at three AM. Really? I'm like WTF, you have to be at work in four hours. I get back, "Hey I got this, Dad. Sorry to wake you. I'll be ready." And he has spent another night without consistent sleep.

But the alarms piss him off. If he is left to himself, things seem to go well, but me "helping" by setting an alarm for both of us is the ruin of an otherwise OK day.

I have yet to learn how to express my love and concern in productive ways that he understands.

He is growing away from me and my constant worry, wanting him to be at work on time and keep a damn job, just irritates him. Alarms seem to undermine all I have worked to instill in his behavior.

I typically awaken about two minutes before the alarm is set, all my life, and I have no idea how this came to be but my, now passed (I lost my Neena baby!), cat used to come in and begin licking my eyelids so I would wake before the alarm. I can't tell you how she could tell time, but it happened way too often to be an accident.
 :lol1:
It might be a natural thing to everyone. Alarms just SUCK!

... the him being OK with you setting an alarm for you to remind yourself to remind him is how it seems to go here.  But, he's always up before me.

Alarms don't actually disturb my sleep much at times, so I set them for him to wake me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:54:58 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5132 on: May 17, 2022, 05:04:46 PM »
Here's a pic of my Neena. We lost her this winter. She was fourteen years old in this pic and still protecting me. She was a 'fraidy cat, but still a watch cat!
She would bellow and come to warn me if she saw something untoward. Never knew what that might be.

Here, she is guarding me from a sketchy squirrel, rounding up maple seeds.

Might have posted it before. If so, I will try to do better. I have many!
Pic doesn't show how petite she really was. Kind of exaggerates her stature. Weighed about nine pounds, but a fireball of wicked fury if she became frightened.
I have scars to prove it. Hated lightening!

I don't do tatoos, but my kitty scars are good memories.
She would be excited but she was coming to me to find safety.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:57:08 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5133 on: May 17, 2022, 07:53:54 PM »
I haven't seen this picture of your cat before. She's gorgeous. She has some tabby lines but doesn't look full tabby. A unique cat.

Gary, I have to remind Kayleigh to take her meds. Yesterday morning I reminded her but forgot to take my own.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5134 on: May 17, 2022, 08:30:07 PM »
Been there!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5135 on: May 17, 2022, 08:36:17 PM »
I haven't seen this picture of your cat before. She's gorgeous. She has some tabby lines but doesn't look full tabby. A unique cat.
She was a gray tabby cat. Her fur was really fun when she moved. On her chest there was an owl if she stood up tall, Egyptian pose, then moving a bit and sitting down, the fur would make a wolf. There was a horse on one side and an elephant on the other. It was the red contrasting with some deep blacks in her coat that seemd the most unusual for a gray Tabby. If you looked at her from above and her feet were hidden, you would swear you saw a black cat.

But she was more spotty than stripey. You could see stripes, but they were broken everywhere. Looked spotty.
I miss her so much.

Another loving, but funny thing, she would often come and try to "save me" from the shower. That water stuff really worried her.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:51:13 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5136 on: May 17, 2022, 09:41:49 PM »
Another cool thing about Neena is that she talked to me all the time, like constantly, but in all her years I don't remember her ever saying, "Meow." When food was coming she said, "Mowwer, MOWWER!" About as close as she ever came to cat words.
I think she covered all the vowel sounds you would hear in English and a few more that were just hers.

I miss her.

I learned early to not choose a cat, but to allow the cat to choose you. She was three weeks old when I got her. Saved litter from an old store warehouse, many siblings.
She chose me. I fed her from an eyedropper at first.
At three weeks of age, she chose me and remained completely attached and faithful as a best friend her whole life.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:48:23 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5137 on: May 17, 2022, 10:13:09 PM »
Sorry, guys.
I know she was just a cat.
She was my best friend for fourteen years of my life.  Bigger number in cat yearsl Like over one hundred.
She's been gone a while.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5138 on: May 18, 2022, 01:10:16 AM »
Did any of our northern folk get a chance to see the Lunar Eclipse a couple of days ago?

We had a rare view with no clouds for a change here in Indiana. Kind of wish I hade set up a camera on my kid's scope. I did not try because rain was in the forecast, like most times when a celestial event occurs.
Scope is a cool kid toy I bought for my son fifteen years ago. We had some fun with it, but it wasn't Hubble so he got bored. Even being a toy in my view, I can never throw away lenses.
1200mm and with a couple of adapters and can fit a camera to it.

We had a red moon for a bit!

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5139 on: May 18, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »
I need an exit strategy... the plans you ask? Simple... just go with the basics, how I'm going to do it is another story (for another day)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5140 on: May 18, 2022, 08:46:01 PM »
Sorry, guys.
She was my best friend for fourteen years of my life.  Bigger number in cat yearsl Like over one hundred.
She's been gone a while.
Not just a cat. She was your companion.

I'm a bit sad now as my sister is saying goodbye to her son's cat Baymax this Saturday. He has renal failure and anaemia due to a tumour on his kidney. There is no treatment that will work for him. He is only 6 years old.

Whenever I went to my sister's house, Baymax was the first cat to say hello and give me smooches. He would try to get into my arms as he liked to be held. He was a big white cat who shed a lot of fur. As a cat he really stood out. I'll never forget him.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:53:51 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5141 on: May 18, 2022, 09:50:36 PM »
Sorry, guys.
She's been gone a while.
Not just a cat. She was your companion.

I'm a bit sad now as my sister is saying goodbye to her son's cat Baymax this Saturday. He has renal failure and anaemia due to a tumour on his kidney. There is no treatment that will work for him. He is only 6 years old.

Whenever I went to my sister's house, Baymax was the first cat to say hello and give me smooches. He would try to get into my arms as he liked to be held. He was a big white cat who shed a lot of fur. As a cat he really stood out. I'll never forget him.
Cats are amazing! Most non-cat people think they are stupid because they won't do tricks. 
Unintellegent my ass!
I was just worried that I had crapped in this thread too long and bored everyone to tears.

Baymax sounds like he was quite a wonderful companion.

Neena and I used to play "fetch" with rubber bands. I would sling them across the room and she was right after it, brought it back to me and chased it again and again, just playing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:06:20 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5142 on: May 18, 2022, 10:03:21 PM »
Speaking of playing, in this new home grounds we have MANY rabbits.

We had quite a few in the old neighborhood as well, but they never got very big. I suspect that was because of the hawks. Here they are full grown big ass bunnies and today I saw five of them playing "tag" or some bunny version out in the back yard.

I have not seen any of the huge Redtail hawks here (almost as big as eagles) and these big bunnies are too big for the owls that seem to proliferate.

Just enjoying my coffee and the cool peaceful air between night and morning rains, watching this bunny game was better than any sports shit on TV!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5143 on: May 19, 2022, 10:52:10 AM »
Speaking of playing, in this new home grounds we have MANY rabbits.

We had quite a few in the old neighborhood as well, but they never got very big. I suspect that was because of the hawks. Here they are full grown big ass bunnies and today I saw five of them playing "tag" or some bunny version out in the back yard.

I have not seen any of the huge Redtail hawks here (almost as big as eagles) and these big bunnies are too big for the owls that seem to proliferate.

Just enjoying my coffee and the cool peaceful air between night and morning rains, watching this bunny game was better than any sports shit on TV!

There are bunnies here too. The past couple of months two have been in the back yard daily, and about a week or two ago another very young tiny bunny showed up too. One day, the baby bunny was playing that funny tag game with a baby squirrell. Sugarbutt and I were rolling with laughter. I love them. :heart:
:gopher:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5144 on: May 22, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »
They renumbered the exits on I95 in Massachusetts so they line up with the mileage markers
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw