Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84210 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #5070 on: April 20, 2022, 05:00:04 PM »

The reason people call all these pics "selfies" these days is because "narcissistie" is too hard for them to spell.
 :lol1:
After the oldest had been away from home for a couple of years, she asked what I wanted for Mother's Day. Told her I wanted a photo album with all of the selfies I'd seen and hadn't seen since she left, because her phone was the only place where all those photos lived. She made one album for me, and one for each grandmothers. She said she felt narcissistic while making them, but I love mine. One of the better gifts ever received.

I'm sure it was and is.

I had collected together a sampling of my kids in pics I had taken over ten or twelve years to send to my mom, who has not seen them in person since her health began to fade and travel became a burden. I made her a few small paper prints, a flash drive full to print more if she wanted (she would need assistance from one of my cousins who live close by) and put everything on one of those "slide show" picture frames to hang on the wall.
She thought that was the best gift I had ever given her, but asked why I wasn't in there more.

Basically she had not seen them mature and I have not changed much, except for growing a Grizzly Adams beard and allowing my hair to grow past my shoulders again.
She has seen me. She did not recognize me when I last visited her in the hospital until I got within hugging distance.

Last time I had really long hair it was sun bleached, almost blond, now it is darkened and not much gray at all, a few strands, but my massive beard is pure Santa Clause.
 :lol1:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 05:21:01 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5071 on: April 20, 2022, 05:20:37 PM »
It's quite special having a large negro bouncing past you asking, in German, "alles gut?"

(not sure what the PC phrase for a large, coloured person is)

It might depend on where a person lives but that's not acceptable here. I think nowadays the PC thing to do, is to not even mention someone's race unless it's somehow relevant.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5072 on: April 20, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »
It's quite special having a large negro bouncing past you asking, in German, "alles gut?"

It might depend on where a person lives but that's not acceptable here. I think nowadays the PC thing to do, is to not even mention someone's race unless it's somehow relevant.  :dunno:

Probably good advise for stepping upon these shores, these days.

Back in 1992 when I got married, my soon to be brothers in law had not met my Best Man. My wife knew him as my best friend and constant cohort in many endeavors, some even productive on a grander scale. We had never mentioned that he was "black,"  because as you mention, that fact was never relevant to any conversations we had had.

I have to say there were awkward times that should never have happened.  They called my soon to be mother in law aside and asked about the reception and how we had ribs and a lot of southern things in my honor, as a Texan. She just said something along the lines of   ... What? Do you think he won't like ribs?

It's a stupid part of behaviors that only show how much farther some have to go to actually become decent Americans.

Yeah, my Best Man is black. I don't think I have ever mentioned that here, either.
I've talked about how he busted his damn leg AGAIN on his motorcycle two days before our wedding, but it was not because he was black so none of that part mattered. His rental suit had to be altered again, though, in order to accomodate the cast. Some stress.
But even more stress in that I had to go find his motorcycle and rescue it to get it home safely where he had lost it in the woods when he got hurt.

Whatever?!?  I say!

Sorery for all the typos, folks. Still trying to type one handed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:00:30 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #5073 on: April 20, 2022, 09:38:36 PM »
I can do this! No matter how long it takes, I think I got this in the bag (I hope)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5074 on: April 21, 2022, 09:56:51 AM »
Lots of low helicopters buzzing around today making things in my house shake :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5075 on: April 21, 2022, 12:49:26 PM »

Back in 1992 when I got married, my soon to be brothers in law had not met my Best Man. My wife knew him as my best friend and constant cohort in many endeavors, some even productive on a grander scale. We had never mentioned that he was "black,"  because as you mention, that fact was never relevant to any conversations we had had.

I have to say there were awkward times that should never have happened.  They called my soon to be mother in law aside and asked about the reception and how we had ribs and a lot of southern things in my honor, as a Texan. She just said something along the lines of   ... What? Do you think he won't like ribs?

It's a stupid part of behaviors that only show how much farther some have to go to actually become decent Americans.

Yeah, my Best Man is black. I don't think I have ever mentioned that here, either.
I've talked about how he busted his damn leg AGAIN on his motorcycle two days before our wedding, but it was not because he was black so none of that part mattered. His rental suit had to be altered again, though, in order to accomodate the cast. Some stress.
But even more stress in that I had to go find his motorcycle and rescue it to get it home safely where he had lost it in the woods when he got hurt.

Whatever?!?  I say!

My dad's best friend at work was this big black guy who rode a Harley, Moses used to come visit a lot. Uptight white woman next to us used to just scowl at him. Later she started giving my dad and mom some random shit about my cars, runoff from the hill after it rained, etc. Just stupid shit.

Moses and my dad held this big performance act one day...walking around the house, my dad pointing stuff out, water lines, talking about the roof...and nosy pops her head out and my dad introduces him as her potential "new neighbor"...I still don't know how they kept it together until they got in the house, we all about died  :laugh:...the look on her face :o...never another word said.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5076 on: April 21, 2022, 12:50:16 PM »
Our old house, we were in the flight path of Grissom Air Force Base training. You never knew what might fly over. I've seen huge helicpters carrying tanks and shit.
You never know. Sometimes some "fast and low" passes by things going too fast to tell what they were.
You never know.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5077 on: April 21, 2022, 01:05:26 PM »
They make Blackhawks one town over and test them in the area.  Had one make an emergency landing on the beach about a mile from my house in the 90s
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5078 on: April 21, 2022, 01:07:21 PM »

Whatever?!?  I say!

My dad's best friend at work was this big black guy who rode a Harley, Moses used to come visit a lot. Uptight white woman next to us used to just scowl at him. Later she started giving my dad and mom some random shit about my cars, runoff from the hill after it rained, etc. Just stupid shit.

Moses and my dad held this big performance act one day...walking around the house, my dad pointing stuff out, water lines, talking about the roof...and nosy pops her head out and my dad introduces him as her potential "new neighbor"...I still don't know how they kept it together until they got in the house, we all about died  :laugh:...the look on her face :o...never another word said.

I think that she deserved all of that!

My buddy freaked out some of "those people" once when we had bought a couple of watermelons at the farmer's market, acting like he just stole it. "No, no Ah bought dis!" he would yell at me, acting like he was trying to hide it. He doesn't talk like that. His education and command of language exceeds my own and I ain't stupid, much.
I gave it away, because I couldn't stop laughing at his spectacular performance, trying to hide a watermelon. He went out of his way to get the damn thing out of his car to walk past these assholes acting all crazy, then run from me.

He's one of the funniest men I know.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 01:10:37 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5079 on: April 21, 2022, 01:08:25 PM »
They make Blackhawks one town over and test them in the area.  Had one make an emergency landing on the beach about a mile from my house in the 90s

:yikes:

Hope everything was OK for the crew.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5080 on: April 21, 2022, 01:23:33 PM »

Whatever?!?  I say!

I would have paid to see that!   :2thumbsup:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5081 on: April 21, 2022, 01:23:49 PM »
I can do this! No matter how long it takes, I think I got this in the bag (I hope)

Know what, pal? YOU CAN DO THIS!

It won't be easy, but if you want, you can do!

I'm just going to say, don't try to do too much at once or in a short time. You did not get where you are overnight. Don't expect to fix everything overnight.
Also, take breaks from "giving it HELL" and get back to it all after a rest.

You CAN do this!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5082 on: April 21, 2022, 03:49:47 PM »

The visuals were striking, that's all. This person looked like Yaphet Kotto and he was literally bouncing past me and looked very much out of place to me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5083 on: April 21, 2022, 03:57:26 PM »
And now I'm wondering what to make of my observation. Does it mean that I am prejudiced? Probably. But did I think less of that person? No. I think it tells something about me, not him. I'm wondering what.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #5084 on: April 21, 2022, 04:04:15 PM »
And now I'm wondering what to make of my observation. Does it mean that I am prejudiced? Probably. But did I think less of that person? No. I think it tells something about me, not him. I'm wondering what.

It's hard to describe people without saying what they look like.  :lol1: As for the particular verbiage, I don't know what's commonly used and accepted where you live. I just know it's no good here.  :dunno:
:gopher: