Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84170 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4710 on: May 30, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
People are out and about in hordes.

They have been around here lately also since Connecticut lifted the mask mandate.
The mandate was lifted here too, but everyone still seems to be wearing them anyway. I still only go out once per week, but I haven't noticed anyone without a mask in the stores. I've gotten used to them and have grown to like it, so I wonder if the day will come when I'll be expected to stop wearing a mask but wont want to.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4711 on: May 30, 2021, 07:23:24 PM »

They have been around here lately also since Connecticut lifted the mask mandate.
The mandate was lifted here too, but everyone still seems to be wearing them anyway. I still only go out once per week, but I haven't noticed anyone without a mask in the stores. I've gotten used to them and have grown to like it, so I wonder if the day will come when I'll be expected to stop wearing a mask but wont want to.  :dunno:
I'd say about 70% wear them in stores here.  I generally still wear one most of the time and always if the store has a sign requesting that you do.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #4712 on: May 30, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »
You got to love Sunday drives sometimes, always find that people drive much more recklessly or for some reason, people feel its the best time to drive like a madman.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4713 on: May 30, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »

I'd say about 70% wear them in stores here.  I generally still wear one most of the time and always if the store has a sign requesting that you do.

I've noticed one that still required them, and one says vaccinated aren't required. At some point I'll end up looking like an anti-Vader, so I'll probably feel pressure to stop wearing themwhen it looks like others are stopping. Lots of states have laws against covering faces in public. I wonder if that will change now. :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4714 on: June 02, 2021, 12:52:11 PM »
Very few people wear masks here but the pandemic isn't over and not enough people have been vaccinated yet. People are idiots.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4715 on: June 02, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
Connecticut and the other five states in New England are on the top ten list for the most vaccinated states

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4716 on: June 02, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »
Very few people wear masks here but the pandemic isn't over and not enough people have been vaccinated yet. People are idiots.
That graph I've been watching shows your country excess death rate has been below 0% since early February.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4717 on: June 06, 2021, 01:35:46 AM »
That graph I've been watching shows your country excess death rate has been below 0% since early February.

The numbers are down but not by that much, I'd think.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4718 on: June 06, 2021, 02:50:50 PM »

Doubt the integrity of the number of deaths your country reports? It's the great thing about that graph. It's simple, not muddied by how many people are tested, infected, vaccinated, or even reported as pandemic deaths. It's simple excess mortality, current as compared to mortality rates of the previous five years. It doesn't necessarily mean no one is dying from covid; but it does mean covid hasn't increased the average mortality rate since February. The US has been bouncing back and forth between 1-3% since March.  Compared to 51% at the highest peak, it makes for good optimism.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 03:07:36 PM by Jack »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4719 on: June 06, 2021, 03:36:06 PM »

I've noticed one that still required them, and one says vaccinated aren't required. At some point I'll end up looking like an anti-Vader, so I'll probably feel pressure to stop wearing themwhen it looks like others are stopping. Lots of states have laws against covering faces in public. I wonder if that will change now. :dunno:

I noticed several people without masks in the stores this weekend. Maybe next week I'll try not wearing one.  :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4720 on: June 10, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »

Doubt the integrity of the number of deaths your country reports? It's the great thing about that graph. It's simple, not muddied by how many people are tested, infected, vaccinated, or even reported as pandemic deaths. It's simple excess mortality, current as compared to mortality rates of the previous five years. It doesn't necessarily mean no one is dying from covid; but it does mean covid hasn't increased the average mortality rate since February. The US has been bouncing back and forth between 1-3% since March.  Compared to 51% at the highest peak, it makes for good optimism.

I doubt the numbers on excess mortality, tbh. The health authorities here are shit when it comes to reliable statistics.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4721 on: June 10, 2021, 07:19:14 PM »

I doubt the numbers on excess mortality, tbh. The health authorities here are shit when it comes to reliable statistics.
Dont doubt the numbers, with the exception of small margins of error for incomplete data in more recent months due to delayed reporting. The one possible issue is, calculating excess deaths beyond the first year. It makes sense mortality rates might drop below normal for a few years because so many elderly died in 2020.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 07:34:17 PM by Jack »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4722 on: June 11, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »
Lots of people fishing in the river where I take Filburt for walks

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4723 on: June 12, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »

Dont doubt the numbers, with the exception of small margins of error for incomplete data in more recent months due to delayed reporting. The one possible issue is, calculating excess deaths beyond the first year. It makes sense mortality rates might drop below normal for a few years because so many elderly died in 2020.

True. Consider yourself virtually plussed.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4724 on: June 13, 2021, 06:36:44 PM »
An osprey has been flying around my neighborhood  a lot lately

George Bernard Shaw