Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84195 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4575 on: January 23, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »
The bloody beavers have been at it again. Noticed a couple of trees about to fall when walking the dog.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4576 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:09 AM »
I have a big huntsman spider in my house and the cat is trying to get at it.
I don't care if it's there, as long as it doesn't crawl over my face in the middle of the night.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4577 on: January 31, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »
I saw a rental box truck on the highway that yawed back and forth so much on turns  I was sure was going to flip over
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4578 on: February 01, 2021, 06:26:55 AM »
I have a big huntsman spider in my house and the cat is trying to get at it.
I don't care if it's there, as long as it doesn't crawl over my face in the middle of the night.
I found this article on the weather site I follow:

"First the good news. Huntsmen spiders do not – repeat NOT – have any inclination whatsoever to creep their spidery, eight-legged crawl across your face while you're sleeping. You did not wake up with spider tracks on your eyelids this morning, we 99.999% promise.

The bad news is that huntsmen are out and about in large numbers right now, which is typical for the end of summer. Indeed, there are an awful lot of them in some parts of Australia this year.
Dr Lizzie Lowe is an arachnologist at Macquarie University and she's not afraid of spiders. In fact she loves them.

"The thing I find fascinating about them is there are so many different types and they have so many different ways of catching their prey," she told Weatherzone.

"They're actually really beautiful too. Like anything dangerous, the more you get to know about it and understand it, the less afraid you are. There are very few spiders that can hurt you. In fact less than half of one percent of all spiders will do harm."

OK Dr Lizzy, fine. But what about huntsmen? They look so evil. Can we really trust them to leave us alone when they're lurking high up on our bedroom wall.

"Huntsmen don't have very good eyesight. They see light and dark and movement and that's about all. They will never intentionally run towards you because they're small and not highly venomous. They can bite you, but they won't do any harm.

"Huntsmen are super fast but they get confused, so if a huntsman is running towards you, it's confused. They're not aggressive spiders at all and they generally stay high up because that's where they're finding the food they want to eat."

Dr Lizzy went on to tell us that huntsmen are a "summer spider". Their eggs hatch in springtime, stimulated by the warmer temperatures and rain of spring. But some spiders do two rounds of breeding which is why many people are seeing another batch of babies right now.

For the average arachnophobe like us, it's a nightmare scenario seeing a horde of baby spiders on the wall. That's what happened to Sydney resident (and associate professor in medical science) Dr Darren Saunders last week.

"I reckon around 100 of the little guys were on my bedroom ceiling," he told Weatherzone. "They're only 1-2 mm including legs. I was too tired to do anything about it so left them alone.

According to Dr Lizzy, leaving them alone is a sensible course of action because the baby huntsmen won't stick around for long anyway.

"When the babies hatch out, they disperse very quickly over one or two days. They are highly cannibalistic and don't want to be eaten by their nestmates. Also they need to have their own food so it's within their own interests to disperse.

"There's probably only enough food for one huntsman in each house."

Dr Lizzy told us that one of the favourite foods of huntsmen is cockroaches. "Would you rather have a horde of cockroaches in your house or one huntsman?" she said.

It's a fair point. If you hate cockroaches (and surely we're all united on this), get used to that hairy eight-legged monster on your wall. Embrace it. Or at least tolerate it.

But if your fear is stronger than your rational mind and you really can't stand huntsmen, a large plastic see-through Tupperware container and a piece of cardboard or paper are Dr Lizzy's tip for a safe and efficient spider relocation to the garden every time." - Weatherzone.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4579 on: February 02, 2021, 01:01:46 AM »
Ugh. I didn't want to know that.  :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #4580 on: February 03, 2021, 07:56:28 PM »
Did anyone see the video of the huntsman spider dragging a dead mouse up the side of a fridge? That's fucking metal. I thought we had some big house spiders.  :headbang2:
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4581 on: February 03, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »
Spotted a cockroach in the laundry. All the cat did was stare at it. I'd like a huntsman now.
Tek'ma'tae

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4582 on: February 03, 2021, 08:52:06 PM »
Tried reading with Yoshi on my chest... he kept getting distracted by the strings of my hoodie.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4583 on: February 06, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
Lots of people out and about.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4584 on: February 06, 2021, 08:20:54 PM »
Someone spilled a lot of gasoline at the convenience store by the green 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4585 on: February 09, 2021, 03:40:52 AM »
Somebody is getting a little obsessed with crush boi and it's not me.

It's the (former) boss guy from the other office!!

180 calls, 5-6 times per day over the past month, and he's been sending crush boi weird texts that have hinted at an intensifying emotional neediness :O_o:

Crush boi is extremely annoyed but he can't do anything about it, he's just a lonely old man.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4586 on: February 09, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »
New unopened power tools posted on facebook marketplace at half price with the photo of them holding it in the front seat of their car,  yeah sure that's not stolen

George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4587 on: February 09, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »

180 calls, 5-6 times per day over the past month, and he's been sending crush boi weird texts that have hinted at an intensifying emotional neediness :O_o:

Crush boi is extremely annoyed but he can't do anything about it, he's just a lonely old man.
That's harassment! He could get the police involved but then again it's hard to know what to do in this type of situation.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4588 on: February 09, 2021, 07:33:52 PM »

That's harassment! He could get the police involved but then again it's hard to know what to do in this type of situation.
Simply asking them to please stop calling and texting might do the trick. Maybe best to ask by text, so there's proof in writing should the matter become pressing.

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4589 on: February 09, 2021, 08:56:01 PM »

Simply asking them to please stop calling and texting might do the trick. Maybe best to ask by text, so there's proof in writing should the matter become pressing.

Usually, that's the best way to approach it... for now :(