Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84187 times)

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4485 on: November 05, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »

My job is based in western PA.  My boss mentioned on the phone that a senior member of staff in his office has given him a MAGA hat and T shirt to wear in the work place.  He's a little unsure as to how to tell the guy to f**k off without compromising future job prospects.

When I go to that office my first feeling is just how WHITE the office is.  No POC.  Everyone is a white anglo-saxon protestant with a northern european or western european surname.  I wondered where all the dark skinned folks were but you see them at around 6:30pm when its time to clean the office, and all the Central/South Americans drive the cars.   It was like travelling back to the 1950s in terms of race culture.  I tried to explain how different Europe was to them but mostly that led to blank stares and a lot of blinking incomprehension.

The whole area is like being in a time warp.

I grew up in Upstate NY, and it was pretty white bread there, but nothing compared to when I moved here.

Your boss is right to be unsure about saying anything...you either become one of them, act along...or try to avoid as much interaction as possible outside of work related matters...most are quick to ostracize anyone that might think differently or isn't on the same page as they are.

The attitudes towards race, sex...it's crazy. Used to tell myself that as soon as I could I was going to move far, far away from this area...almost did...but shit happens. Maybe some day.

I messed up when I was there in the run up to the 2016 election.  I was chatting to someone who I thought was cool and mentioned the election coverage on the TV and he said totally deadpan "Of course, we'll never have another President as good as Ronald Reagan".  I was laughing for a good 5 seconds before I realised that he wasn't joking. 

It was awkward.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4486 on: November 06, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
Husband unloaded a case of water into the fridge, but neglected to place the labels facing forward. Now have to wait until he's asleep in order to fix it and avoid going crazy or appearing ungrateful.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4487 on: November 06, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »
Ingrate. He'll never notice, so I'm gonna tell him.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4488 on: November 08, 2020, 03:39:54 AM »
The dog is barking at something outside. There's no one there that I can see. I guess she's bored.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4489 on: November 08, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »
Husband unloaded a case of water into the fridge, but neglected to place the labels facing forward. Now have to wait until he's asleep in order to fix it and avoid going crazy or appearing ungrateful.

If he's anything like me he'll wait until you're asleep and turn them all back to random directions again.  The next day my wife would get her own back by cutting a block of cheddar cheese diagonally, or by leaving the milk out of the fridge.  Trivial irritations like this is how me and my wife keep ourselves interested.  We could never leave the other because then the other might have more fun, and besides you can't end a game when there's a score to settle.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4490 on: November 08, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »

If he's anything like me he'll wait until you're asleep and turn them all back to random directions again.  The next day my wife would get her own back by cutting a block of cheddar cheese diagonally, or by leaving the milk out of the fridge.  Trivial irritations like this is how me and my wife keep ourselves interested.  We could never leave the other because then the other might have more fun, and besides you can't end a game when there's a score to settle.
:laugh: That's funny. Though seriously doubt it will be noticed. It's just something I do, but never say anything about it. There's probably never a day when I don't straighten something, so fully realize it's mine to own.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4491 on: November 08, 2020, 07:06:01 PM »
The cub doesn't know the difference between "too big" and "too small" when it comes to clothes. We've had two days of tantrums because he didn't want to put on his snow pants because he said they were too big. I thought he meant the legs were fat and padded and that was strange. Finally got them on him today and discovered the problem is they're actually too small.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4492 on: November 08, 2020, 09:22:11 PM »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4493 on: November 09, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
One of the far-right nutters in Sweden defended Trump in the morning paper the other day.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #4494 on: November 10, 2020, 10:28:25 PM »
I'm the world's loneliest bachelor :(

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4495 on: November 11, 2020, 05:36:15 AM »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4496 on: November 11, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
Midweek holidays fuck with my sense of time.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4497 on: November 11, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
Midweek holidays fuck with my sense of time.

What's your holiday?  :orly:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4498 on: November 11, 2020, 12:07:09 PM »
Remembrance Day.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4499 on: November 11, 2020, 04:45:54 PM »
Remembrance Day.

That seems like Veteran's Day here. It's a national holiday here, but I think the only people who get off work are the ones who work for the man.  :orly: