Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84180 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4155 on: April 29, 2020, 02:22:37 AM »
It has gotten really hazy here today; the sun is orange. And now I'm wheezy. Just had to take extra Symbicort.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4156 on: April 29, 2020, 06:40:59 AM »
Proper social distancing at the doctor's office today. Some people even wore masks, which is still kind of unusual around here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4157 on: April 29, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
Proper social distancing at the doctor's office today. Some people even wore masks, which is still kind of unusual around here.

Uncommon here, too. Seems to be some kind of stigma around here associated with the wearing of masks or any kind of protective gear for the same matter.
Those knuckle draggers stopped making fun of the deli servers a few years ago for using gloves when they found out it "helped" them in some ways they had yet to imagine.
 :zombiefuck:
I wear a mask and have been for about ten days when I go to any store. I do not glove up, but I still have a jealously guarded supply of the travel sized hand cleaners, a couple of them in the car.

Nothing new about keeping hand sanitizer close by. This is another adaptation of having an adult autistic (somewhat OCD) or two (easily distracted) living in your home. I have to keep a small supply handy for immediate use as needed. We taught them this, so as a result of this adaptation, I used to order the travel sized containers online by the case. I am down to less than a half case. I think the little squeeze bottles are 75mL and they do not go far.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4158 on: April 29, 2020, 08:31:37 AM »
We have some too because I ordered them to have in our bags when we went to Florida in January. I have always called Disney the mecca for germs and given how sick I got despite all the hand washing and hand sanitizer, I wasn't wrong.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4159 on: April 29, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »
It's still difficult to find hand sanitiser here.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4160 on: April 29, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
I've seen more people walking around my neighborhood in the last few weeks than in the last ten years
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #4161 on: April 29, 2020, 02:56:08 PM »
I've seen more people walking around my neighborhood in the last few weeks than in the last ten years

Same with my area, more people walking that I haven't seen before.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4162 on: April 29, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
Read an interesting article in the latest National Geographic Magazine about Adults on the Autism Spectrum.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4163 on: April 29, 2020, 08:39:55 PM »
Here too, but assumed it's because people can't go to the gym. It's weird because of not seeing the ones who were always there before, a couple of small packs of older ladies who walked together in groups. Maybe they're walking alone now, so it looks like more people out and about. :laugh:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4164 on: April 29, 2020, 09:32:20 PM »
Read an interesting article in the latest National Geographic Magazine about Adults on the Autism Spectrum.
National Geographic? I've seen it featured in Time magazine but never National Geographic. I have the app on my phone so I might have a look for the article there.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4165 on: April 29, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
Here too, but assumed it's because people can't go to the gym. It's weird because of not seeing the ones who were always there before, a couple of small packs of older ladies who walked together in groups. Maybe they're walking alone now, so it looks like more people out and about. :laugh:
:lol1:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4166 on: April 29, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »
National Geographic? I've seen it featured in Time magazine but never National Geographic. I have the app on my phone so I might have a look for the article there.

Do you need a subscription for that? I'm curious too but not enough to subscribe.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4167 on: April 29, 2020, 10:55:10 PM »
Do you need a subscription for that? I'm curious too but not enough to subscribe.
I've just looked and now it seems you do. They cancelled the app in November. Shows that I haven't looked at it for a while. You can sign up to get emails from them but that's the last thing I want.

I did read an interesting article about Williams Syndrome, said to be the opposite of autism.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4168 on: April 30, 2020, 05:17:05 AM »
I did read an interesting article about Williams Syndrome, said to be the opposite of autism.
spooky!  :LOL: i stumbled across Williams syndrome,  for the first  time ever (so far as I recall)   just a couple of days ago. It was mentioned, in passing, in a totally  unrelated article, and, my interst piqued,  i looked it up on Wikipaedia, like you would. And I'm like "Eureka!". There's this guy in my town who's hung about the fringes of just about every arty circle, and who almost everbody I meet  seems to know by name. Even my fellow spazzes and weirdos (i mean people who accept and even like me) tend to think that he's ""weird"and somewhat creepy, and to speculate as  to what, exactly, is  wrong with him.  That guy on the right, of the two guys  in the Wiki photo looks almost exactly like him, especially that smile. That exact smile is on the guy's face so often that i find it impossible to picture his face without that smile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_syndrome

Opposite of autism? hmm, i can see why that would be said. I mean, this guy is totally extroverted , calls himself a ""thespian" (but I'm not sure he's ever had an actual paying acting job to speak of; seems to be permanently out-of-work) and clearly has a number of apposite skills.  Most notably  he can do "stage whispers"and is expert at projecting his voice as if speaking from a stage; only problem being that he does it all the time.    Seems to live in a fantasy world, and often tries to hit on women with zero sucess, but isn't easi;y discouraged (to make an understatement) I was just laughing with my neighbour about this, very recently   (turns out that this is something we have in common ) .  When he was trying to hit on her, he went on and on about his "girlfriend", ëven sharing details of their sex life. which is something he also did with me, at one juncture, though i didn't realise he was still  trying to hit on me when he did that. I thought he meant to signal that he'd mercifully given up  :LOL: . I also thought (along with all of my mates) that said girfriend was fictional, because nobody ever saw them together, but my neighbour tells me: No, she's real; she's actually met the girl, but didn't get the impression she was actually a girlfriend as such, but maybe a "friend with benefits"?

So, yeah, no doubt you can see a few very marked  differences there, but then again, he's the same as us in one very obvious and important respect: completely socially incompetent. Spectacularly socially incompetent, even.  So much so, that I'd feel sorry for him,  if he wasn't laughing and smiling all the damned time.

Definitely Williams, isn't it?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:45:59 AM by Walkie »

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4169 on: April 30, 2020, 07:21:23 AM »

My subscription is going to lapse and I'm letting it go.  Ever since the Murdoch group bought the company that prints NG it's changed in ways that don't match my interests anymore.    If you wish I would be happy to send you my copy.  Otherwise it will be put in the recycling bin.