Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84181 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #4065 on: April 04, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
We have a favorite shop in town here, too. Last time I popped in there I dropped forty bucks on coffee beans and some green tea.

Was not enough. They are unfortunately closed now. No carry out service, even.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4066 on: April 05, 2020, 02:09:16 AM »
Sweden's been quite relaxed about restrictions so far, yet they're now asking the parliament to grant them extraordinary powers for the next three months. The idea is to not have to go through parliament for temporary legislation to curb the virus.

Ugh. This is not a government I trust.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4067 on: April 05, 2020, 05:40:13 AM »
If the virus were to spread there, as quickly as it has in other places, I can see why that might be necessary **if** moving things through Parliament can take awhile. We have an Emergency Measures act which allows special temporary measures to ensure safety and security during national emergencies. Although any temporary laws made under the act are subject to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And each Municipality has more power to lock things down as need to help control spread in their own immediate area so they don't have to wait for the Premier of the Province to authorize things.

We have 3600 cases in my province and they've put all restrictions in place up to the point of ordering a shelter in place (right now they're asking people to do the right thing, and counting on the majority doing so but they do have the power to issue tickets up to 5K for people who refuse to follow social distancing rules) but even with all that in place...people only leaving home for groceries, medical appoints, a walk around the block or working an essential service, they will expect we will have 80,000 confirmed cases by the end of April.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4068 on: April 05, 2020, 06:31:48 AM »
Our street has been pretty quiet traffic-wise today.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4069 on: April 05, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
If the virus were to spread there, as quickly as it has in other places, I can see why that might be necessary **if** moving things through Parliament can take awhile. We have an Emergency Measures act which allows special temporary measures to ensure safety and security during national emergencies. Although any temporary laws made under the act are subject to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And each Municipality has more power to lock things down as need to help control spread in their own immediate area so they don't have to wait for the Premier of the Province to authorize things.

We have 3600 cases in my province and they've put all restrictions in place up to the point of ordering a shelter in place (right now they're asking people to do the right thing, and counting on the majority doing so but they do have the power to issue tickets up to 5K for people who refuse to follow social distancing rules) but even with all that in place...people only leaving home for groceries, medical appoints, a walk around the block or working an essential service, they will expect we will have 80,000 confirmed cases by the end of April.

I've no problems with taking decisions quickly if need be. It's just that I'd rather see another government.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4070 on: April 05, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

I've no problems with taking decisions quickly if need be. It's just that I'd rather see another government.
That's fair
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4071 on: April 07, 2020, 01:10:21 AM »
Looks like they'll get their speshul powers. Supposedly there is a worry that the relaxed attitude is not as effective as some had hoped.

I do agree that they have to do more.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4072 on: April 07, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »
Car traffic around me has gone way down but foot traffic has skyrocketed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4073 on: April 08, 2020, 12:31:57 AM »
Apparently they tested a group of people in a supermarket or similar at random, here. Half of them had the virus but none had any symptoms.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4074 on: April 08, 2020, 10:57:53 AM »
Apparently they tested a group of people in a supermarket or similar at random, here. Half of them had the virus but none had any symptoms.
If that is the case, that's pretty hopeful. Then we will have that group immunity sooner than I expected.
But o e would expect quite some serious cases too, in that environment. Did they say anything about that? And do you know if they used reliable tests? (There seems to be quite a market for very dodgy tests too)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4075 on: April 08, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
There was a queue to the state-owned liquor store today, with a guard making sure that only a few people were allowed in at the same time.

Ours are private sector, of course, but I was going to buy a super sweet rum for a fancy cake I want to make.
Local stores are closed to public and trying to stay alive with curbside service. That did not work for me. I need to browse a bit.

My fancy Caribbean cake will have to wait for a while.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4076 on: April 08, 2020, 01:06:03 PM »
If that is the case, that's pretty hopeful. Then we will have that group immunity sooner than I expected.
But o e would expect quite some serious cases too, in that environment. Did they say anything about that? And do you know if they used reliable tests? (There seems to be quite a market for very dodgy tests too)

The tests were reliable, as far as I know - this was the Swedish health authorities doing random tests. It is indeed promising if true, but I've not seen it mentioned again yet.

There is a mathematician who claims that between 500,000 and 1,500,000 Swedes have had the virus already, based on statistical analysis and information about previous virus spreads, This guy does statistical analysis of infectious diseases for a living and supposedly knows what he's talking about. Now if THAT is true, then it's very good news.

But me, I'm thinking there is a catch somewhere.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4077 on: April 08, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
There was a queue to the state-owned liquor store today, with a guard making sure that only a few people were allowed in at the same time.

Ours are private sector, of course, but I was going to buy a super sweet rum for a fancy cake I want to make.
Local stores are closed to public and trying to stay alive with curbside service. That did not work for me. I need to browse a bit.

My fancy Caribbean cake will have to wait for a while.

Caribbean cake? :toporly:

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4078 on: April 08, 2020, 05:35:10 PM »

This is why many in the medical community have said that masks are recommended when out in public. The mask does not protect you, but it may help to curb the spread of the virus from people who are infected but showing no symptoms.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4079 on: April 08, 2020, 07:22:05 PM »
Delivery trucks seem to go my my house almost nonstop all day
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw