Educational

Author Topic: Random observations from your day  (Read 84190 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Random observations from your day
« Reply #3975 on: March 27, 2020, 11:31:54 AM »
The US also has a much higher population than Italy or Spain. I don't want to downplay the threat but that particular statistic doesn't seem meaningful.
Agreed. Even stats for confirmed cases are difficult due to more testing equals more cases, as well as mortality rates which would be deaths compared to confirmed cases. Though confirmed deaths per capita are a bit different. If one is interested in percapita data, found this website. https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus  It has a graph titled: Total confirmed deaths of COVID-19 per million people, which is easier viewed when moving the slider at the bottom to show only today's date.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3976 on: March 27, 2020, 01:37:04 PM »
Per capita data can also be misleading. With a large nation such as China or the US, you'd need to look at epicentres. A "country" is somewhat arbitrary.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline MEATUS MCGIRTHERATOR

• angry caps lock snowflake
  • Part of the Chaos
  • YOU MEAN NOTHING TO ME
« Reply #3977 on: March 27, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »
that particular statistic doesn't seem meaningful.

JUST LIKE YOUR ENTIRE FUCKING LIFE, THEN.
FUCK YOU.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3978 on: March 27, 2020, 03:12:54 PM »
Per capita data can also be misleading. With a large nation such as China or the US, you'd need to look at epicentres. A "country" is somewhat arbitrary.
Thats true; individual states might be a more fair comparison. New York currently has a death per million rate six times the national average, though Italy's rate is about five times that of New York, and Spain about three times New York,

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3979 on: March 27, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
Thats true; individual states might be a more fair comparison. New York currently has a death per million rate six times the national average, though Italy's rate is about five times that of New York, and Spain about three times New York,
It makes sense how quickly it has spread through New York given how dense the population is and so many living in close quarters in parts of the state.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #3980 on: March 27, 2020, 04:34:56 PM »

As a former resident of that state.  The densest pop. is NYC in the south, Buffalo in the west and Rochester in the north.  The rest is pretty rural.  NYC and it's points north and east.  Points south belong to New Jersey and Penn.  Just a little FYI. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:37:09 PM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3981 on: March 27, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »

As a former resident of that state.  The densest pop. is NYC in the south, Buffalo in the west and Rochester in the north.  The rest is pretty rural.  NYC and it's points north and east.  Points south belong to New Jersey and Penn.  Just a little FYI. 

Yes, have spent a lot of time there throughout all my growing up years and in Uni. Was very close to moving to NY in '95.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3982 on: March 27, 2020, 06:23:14 PM »
It makes sense how quickly it has spread through New York given how dense the population is and so many living in close quarters in parts of the state.
It does make sense. NYC alone has about two thirds of the states total deaths, placing the city about a third the rate of Italy

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3983 on: March 27, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »
Canada has 717 new cases confirmed since 9am this morning. Looking forward to seeing a decline in the rate of daily cases.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3984 on: March 27, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
Canada has 717 new cases confirmed since 9am this morning. Looking forward to seeing a decline in the rate of daily cases.

Canada is ahead of the curve.  Unlike what the orange faced shit gibbon is and his magatard fundie minions is doing to US.   >:(
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3985 on: March 27, 2020, 07:17:15 PM »

Me too.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3986 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »

Me too.

Me too! 

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3987 on: March 27, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »

Me too.
I don't know what the hell is going on in Quebec, but their cases are exploding. They weren't anywhere near ON or BC who were neck and neck and then yesterday or the day before, they blew everyone out of the water.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3988 on: March 28, 2020, 12:15:51 AM »
The US also has a much higher population than Italy or Spain. I don't want to downplay the threat but that particular statistic doesn't seem meaningful.
indeed.  Also ,be aware that different countries have vastly different access to test kits. here in the UK, our frontline NHS staff are still waiting to be tested; they've hardly tested anyone but Boris", cos they've hardly got any freaking test kits; so infection rates here  will be way, way higher than "çonfirmed case figures suggest  :(
Obviously, the States are much better equipped for testing people. saw a vid from the States of ordinary citizens standing in line at a station to be tested...errr, whaaa? yeah these are people who suspect they have co-vid 19 are  NOT staying in isolation but rather  getting all scrunched  together in a long l;ne with others who think they have co-vid -19, and nobody's telling them: "FFS, Go home. guys. If you're not positive yet, then you surely will be, by the time you get tested"

Here in the UK (where Boris was rightly criticised fpr being a bit cavalier about this) we were told, three weeks or so back. that if we had any suspect symptoms then we must self-isolate.

...which I,  myself duly did, having had the bad luck to pick up some virus or other at just the wrong moment. And i was just ready to come out of self-isolation when we were told that EVERYBODY (key workers excepted) has to  stay at home from now on . huh. well truth to tell, it makes very little difference to my lifestyle, cos i can;t really go anywhere exept by taxi, and the fares here are such that i can rarely stretch to more transport  than needed for medical appointments... which is exactly how i caught this damned thing, i do believe.

But my point is that untold thousands like myself would probably show up as statistics, if only tests were available. so i still don't know if had THE viris, or just some normal virus, do I? and it's likely to be weeks , if ever, before they can tell me the answer to that that.

Meantime , everybody's signed up for online supermarket services at once, ofc, and those servces are getting overwhelmed ofc.

Me, I've been very lucky thus far, actually had  most of thse  few things that i can actually eat delivered in  sufficient quantities, almost per usual.  But then, I got special privileges as pre-exising customer, ni telling how far that helped. i did experiece some blips due to panic-buying, previously . but hey! here i am, fat as ever, nothing drastic.

have been sick as dog these  past few weeks mind, cos soon as i felt well enough to do so. i started following NHS advice to wash hands like a bad case of OCD , wipe down surfaces with disinfectant every time you touch something etc. but i;ve been plagued ever-more-severely with asthma, hayfever, weeping eyes, grogginess, sleepiness and other symptoms that i choose not to mention . Yesterday, i suddenly twigged that ALL those cleaning agents are full of corn derivatives (even my fucking soap, cos they changed the ingredients while i wasn't looking) so the more I clean, the more i'm breathing in molecules of corn . I've now I've  stopped the damned  cleaning and I'm feeling somewhat better already.

Feel free to laugh. I am!  :LOL:

Hope they don't send the cops round to check if I'm obeying the cleaning directive.  :LOL: Heck,  this covid-19  thing nigh-on killed me, aleady,  in an indirect fashion.

Good luck, everybody!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:43:55 AM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3989 on: March 28, 2020, 03:40:48 AM »
Sweden's curve still appears to be fairly flat, but here, just as everywhere else, studying the country is not that meaningful. Look at the large cities instead.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein